Cav?

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited July 2013 in The bottom bracket
Separate thread so as not to hijack the other one.

So is Cav a douchebag?

If so, why?

Seriously curious. :?:
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    daviesee wrote:
    Separate thread so as not to hijack the other one.

So is Cav a douchebag?

If so, why?

Seriously curious. :?:

No. And "douchebag" is a crap insult. Yossie should hang his head in shame for using it.
  • daviesee
    Looking like it is just Yossie's opinion then…...

....and not "everyone".
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    daviesee wrote:

....and not "everyone".

Looking like your threads not very popular.... Oh well, better luck next time.

Instead of the socially acceptable not going top get me banned phrase "douchebag" can I use the phrase "melina"?
  • daviesee
    Yossie wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

....and not "everyone".

Looking like your threads not very popular.... Oh well, better luck next time.

Instead of the socially acceptable not going top get me banned phrase "douchebag" can I use the phrase "melina"?
    Use whatever phrase you like as you would appear to be in a group of one.
    No explanation for the dislike of Cavendish then?
    I am not interested in being popular, as I said in the OP, I am curious.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Its more of a british thing than a hate cav thing.

British people have a huge dislike of those that achieve, we instead focus on those that "nearly" achieve but once they do they are gone forever.

If you want to be disliked, make something of yourself, work hard, and get to the top, you will be target practice until:

a) you eventually fail (as we all do)
    b) you retire and over time people forget
    c) someone becomes a bigger target
    Living MY dream.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    VTech wrote:
    British people have a huge dislike of those that achieve, we instead focus on those that "nearly" achieve but once they do they are gone forever.
    British people? How many of us? Some, most, all, none?

Not me for starters.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • finchy
    Yossie wrote:

You can use "douchebag" if you want. It's just the world's lamest insult, narrowly beating "mug".
  • VTech
    Daz555 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    British people? How many of us? Some, most, all, none?

Not me for starters.

If your British and you have never come across this mindset you must be blind.
    Or....... very lucky, because this is one of the main things that takes "Great" out of Britain.
    Living MY dream.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413
    VTech wrote:

If you want to be disliked, make something of yourself, work hard, and get to the top, you will be target practice until:

d) you stop trolling/provoking people on forums

FTFY :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • VTech
    seanoconn wrote:
    VTech wrote:

d) you stop trolling/provoking people on forums

FTFY :wink:

:)
    Now, I would say I was honest and spoke my mind whereas apparently that is now called trolling, I had thought trolling was upsetting people for the fun of it, a totally different thing :)
    Living MY dream.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Done well again today didn't he?
  • daviesee
    As well as expected.
    Still no explanation for your dislike though……..
  • VTech
    Yossie wrote:

My point exactly.
    Living MY dream.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Yossie wrote:

Not a cyclist then - twat
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Yossie wrote:

Not a cyclist then - twat

Get on a bike a do better
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    edited July 2013
    I don't like Cavendish, never have, never will. Not a British typical thing, he just makes my skin crawl. He is a cakker with the articulation, charm and wit of a Jeremy Kyle guest.

True dat.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • dmclite-3.0
    Plus, getting carried to pedal dead fast near the end is rubbish.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • daviesee
    Plus, getting carried to pedal dead fast near the end is rubbish.
    Which finally brings us on to the debate….

If it is that easy why not do it yourself? Cheeky, I know, but still….
    If it's that easy he wouldn't be so successful. We all know what he is going to do and when.
    Like it or not, he has a talent for finishing a sprint faster than anyone currently competing.

Regarding the side note - Anyone expecting a sportsman to be clever and articulate is going to be disappointed. A few exceptions excluded. He says what he thinks and you know where he stands. Politicians could learn a thing or two. Being articulate isn't much good if you are articulating a vacuum.

PS:- I can't be bothered with sprint finish stages either but I have to admire his success.
  • dmclite-3.0
    I like the all rounders better myself, although saying that Thor Hushovd seemed to be a man for all stages in recent times. Mr Cavendish just seems to be a bit marmite. plus he looks like Bingo from the Banana Splits when he has his sunglasses on.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Never met him so have no idea what he is like, I do admire his work though, and that he always thanks his team. He climbs a lot faster than me.
  • finchy
    He's the best in the world at what he does. As for his personality, he shot his mouth off a few times when he was a bit younger and then matured. Not exactly a monster.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    My company provides Passenger Car services for several PR/Advertising Agencies, and Cav has been a regular user in recent times as part of his promotional work. All our drivers have reported at how extremely polite, helpful and understanding he is, how willing he is to sign autographs if requested etc - just how bloody nice and 'normal' he comes across.

I know that doesn't count for much these days, but people in the public eye who are polite to others, particularly those who are in the business of providing a 'service' to them, will always earn my respect. It's called 'being decent'. I'm sure there are times when Mr Cavendish shoots his mouth off - that would apply to all of us I suspect - nobody's perfect after all.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    When I did the Tour in 2010 I shared a room with Cav and he's a really nice bloke. He was telling me that, sometimes, people have to act or appear to act in a certain way to get/maintain a profile. A bit like that Liam from Oasis. People (who haven't met them and know feck all about them) judge them based on a couple of minutes TV time.

There are few people I dislike who I haven't met. Take Jeremy Clarkson, I'm sure that in real life he's a very different character to the formulaic lowest-common-denominator tw@t image he tries to portray for the idiotic masses that watch Top Gear. In real life he's probably charming and normal and rational, but that would make poor TV.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    GiantMike wrote:
    Take Jeremy Clarkson, I'm sure that in real life he's a very different character to the formulaic lowest-common-denominator tw@t image he tries to portray for the idiotic masses that watch Top Gear. In real life he's probably charming and normal and rational, but that would make poor TV.
    Wrong. I have met him socially (at a rugby international during the France world cup) and he is a tw@t in real life too.
  • VTech
    shortcuts wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    Take Jeremy Clarkson, I'm sure that in real life he's a very different character to the formulaic lowest-common-denominator tw@t image he tries to portray for the idiotic masses that watch Top Gear. In real life he's probably charming and normal and rational, but that would make poor TV.
    Wrong. I have met him socially (at a rugby international during the France world cup) and he is a tw@t in real life too.

He knows very little about cars too :)
    I have met him many times, he sits on a pedestal that has been built by years of TG profile and eventually im sure that would effect most people.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    Yossie wrote:

Yes he did.
    I know first probably isnt high enough for someone like you but for us mere mortals it will do :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • daviesee
    Nice to see the thread is going exactly as I thought it would. :wink:
  • finchy
    Mark-Cavendish-of-Great-Britain-2022625.png
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413
    GiantMike wrote:
    When I did the Tour in 2010 I shared a room with Cav and he's a really nice bloke.
    If I was a member of a cycling forum I might be impressed by this :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    seanoconn wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    When I did the Tour in 2010 I shared a room with Cav and he's a really nice bloke.
    If I was a member of a cycling forum I might be impressed by this :wink:

I thought that!!