Bottom bracket life

13»

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Torqued the BB onto my winter build, SRAM GXP.

232 miles to start squeaking!!

Didn't think it'd need to be taken off and re-torqued so soon.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    fat_tail wrote:
    Does seem strange that a gear problem would be explained by a new external bottom bracket. Can't see how that could happen. That said, if its a bike without mudguards, used in all weather? 3000 km doesn't seem too unlikely.

well the "chain rub" has not gone away. went on a ride this morning and the "clicking" is still there - I think I am going to need a new chain and cassette. Yes no mudguards and used fairly heavily. I have also read elsewhere that the BB4600 is poor design. Have read some good stuff on Hope BB. I will be upgrading to one of those soon !

I have the old BB and it does look rusty and feels stiff. There used to be a squeaking sound coming from it but I assume it was my cleats. The new BB is a hell of a lot smoother so I am sure they were honest. Also, given what they charged for the BB I am fairly confident that they are honest.

What bike do you have? We've had a couple in our workshop recently that have been factory fitted with the wrong sized BB resulting in the chain rubbing the front derailleur. Happens more often than it should (cost cutting I assume).
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    105 BB30 here ( i think) done about 16k miles over 2 years and cannot see any obvious signs that its failing...