TDF 2013 - Stage 1 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ITV showing a bunch of display jets in the new FdJ kit. I doubt they are UCI compliant
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ITV showing a bunch of display jets in the new FdJ kit. I doubt they are UCI compliant
    Too much seat tilt.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Yellow Peril
    If Gilbert had been as quick all season as he was to that feed station...
    @JaunePeril

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    That was funny. Peloton refusing to let Flecha's group abandon their breakaway.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    Personally I dislike all national champions jerseys being worn outside their country. There should be six jerseys on show in the tour: yellow, green, polka, white, French champion and the world champion. You should all be glad TheBigBean rules don't apply.
  • Yellow Peril
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Personally I dislike all national champions jerseys being worn outside their country. There should be six jerseys on show in the tour: yellow, green, polka, white, French champion and the world champion. You should all be glad TheBigBean rules don't apply.

Wise words from "Le Grande Haricotes"
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril
    For anyone interested in Phil and Paul bingo it's been pretty slim pickings so far. I haven't heard a "Lance Armstrong" or an "Amgen Tour of California" yet.

My bankers on a stage like today are a "put the hammer down" and "one kilometre that's one thousand metres..."

Chateau watch has been ok and my Geography module is progressing well.
    @JaunePeril

• above_the_cows
    We've had Carlton discussing Tony Martin's looks just now, he wasn't particularly kind.
  • Yellow Peril
    We've had Carlton discussing Tony Martin's looks just now, he wasn't particularly kind.

Seriously? wait till he gets around to Dan Martin then...
    @JaunePeril

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    edited June 2013
    Marcel being interviewed on Eurosport

iceman.jpg
  • Yellow Peril
    Those blue Trek bikes are not melding well with the shirts.

BINGO! "Amgen Tour of California stage winner Jens Voigt" thank you Paul
    @JaunePeril

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    TV commentary getting all excited by the @Mediterranean Shag" in the nature reserve - planned I thing, but sniggering stopped further discussion for 20 seconds :)
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Put on itv 4, within seconds heard one of the chuckle brothers wonder if a fan had brought a St. George's cross in support of Mark Cavendish, instantly turned it to Eurosport.
  • ilm_zero7
    Al Jazeera 3 - or nothing
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Did you know that Corsica is the most mountainous of all the Mediterranean islands? Well it is.

I thought academics frowned on using Wiki...

:P

You can use it for checking basics but not as a citable source in papers, this is what I tell my students. To be fair I wouldn't have put Corsica as the most mountainous, so you learn things everyday. Now I need to see a league table of the most mountainous Mediterranean islands.

Oh come on, this is terrible. Define your terms of reference. Percentage cover by mountain, highest single point, absolute mountain coverage? I fear for your students.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

Is that Keenan? Got a link to a stream?

Ah. It's Ligget and Sherwin. No need.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    The ITV4 commentary was lame to start - improving now.
    Looks like they've found their research sheets.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Oh come on, this is terrible. Define your terms of reference. Percentage cover by mountain, highest single point, absolute mountain coverage? I fear for your students.....

Good to see standards being ratcheted-up a notch for the Tour.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • garyhoop1
    garyhoop1 Posts: 44
    Watch videos from the tour here - http://bit.ly/154SeaY
  • ilm_zero7
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

Is that Keenan? Got a link to a stream?

Ah. It's Ligget and Sherwin. No need.
    http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/Live/channel/plus3
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Do the OPQS boys know this is a three week race? They've been on the front all day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Did you know that Corsica is the most mountainous of all the Mediterranean islands? Well it is.

I thought academics frowned on using Wiki...

:P

You can use it for checking basics but not as a citable source in papers, this is what I tell my students. To be fair I wouldn't have put Corsica as the most mountainous, so you learn things everyday. Now I need to see a league table of the most mountainous Mediterranean islands.

I agree, I want to know how most mountainous is calculated. Surely it's a combination of percentage of total area over a certain height/number of square km covered etc...

Seriously? wait till he gets around to Dan Martin then...
    Seriously! He was trying to fill time while Sean made coffee.

Other fun Corsican Wiki facts, with some extra ATC elaboraion: Joseph Heller was stationed in Corsica after its liberation from the Vichy regime by Free French and Italan forces in 1943.

In 1958 Corsica was invaded and captured by French Algerian paratroopers as part of the wider collapse of the Fourth Republic amid the Algerian War of Independence, resulting in the return of De Gaulle and the creation of the Fifth Republic.

The migration of pied noir to Corsica from an independent Algeria contributed to the rise/return of Corsican nationalism in the 1970s. following calls for independence were made.
  • above_the_cows
    Lots of cows so far :D
  • ilm_zero7
    not all cows - the first hay bale bike makes a showing
  • RideOnTime
    the farmer sent his co-ordinates direct to the helicopter so they could zoom-in on the bales
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    No mention yet from P&P that "they'll reel in the breakaway at a rate of 1 minute per 10km". Give it time...
  • RideOnTime
    that Cannondale green is a bit puke-worthy. my eyes. my eyes.
  • Yellow Peril
    Things hotting up for the intermediate...
    @JaunePeril

• ilm_zero7
    Flecha - went early.... LB looked easy
  • above_the_cows
    BOOM!