2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looking at the Wheelies site, this is the best bang for buck:

http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/p56632 ... -Bike.aspx
  • steviecapt
    steviecapt Posts: 70
    well i have to agree with you there supersonic, i own a boardman bike, its been the best value for money bike ive owned in over 30yrs of biking, £600 new changed a few parts , probably under 22lbs now, its the team r with the carbon forks, cant fault it, even after taking it all apart servicing it because i dont trust halfords staff
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    You should have asked the question before you ordered. The spesh will be more than fine for going to work on and bike rides with the young un, but then so will cheaper better specced bikes too. :)
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    This is the start of a well trodden path:
    Ask for some advice,
    Ignore resultant advice,
    Start a "what fork should I buy" thread in a few months time.
  • steviecapt
    steviecapt Posts: 70
    to be honest if all the op wants to do is go to work on it and a few rides out with his son why would he need a better fork, if thats all i was gonna do i would sell the fork and buy a rigid carbon jobby, job done
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I would take the £600 cash and buy something from Halfords or somewhere like that, some of the bikes on that link cost £800 and have the same fork as a £300 bike from there
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    mcnultycop wrote:
    This is the start of a well trodden path:
    Ask for some advice,
    Ignore resultant advice,
    Start a "what fork should I buy" thread in a few months time.

Has the OP done this just to prove me right?
  • looks like i have just been looking at a felt nine 50 2013 and lapierre raid 729
  • foy
    foy Posts: 296
    edited June 2013
    I would not touch the rockhopper with a 50 foot barge pole as it is shocking value for money. You are getting the same frame material as was on the rockhoppers in the late nineties A1 aluminium. Specialized have totally lost the plot and do not even offer a choice of 26 inch wheel rockhoppers any more, and if you are around 5ft 4ins or 5ft 6ins you will struggle with the standover height on a 29er. The boardmans are fantastic spec for the money and also have a far better frame than the rockhopper. The frames are all made in the same factories in the far east anyway and you are just paying for the name with the rockhopper. Five years ago the rockhopper was a brillliant spec for the money one of the best you could buy but sadly not any more. Specialized have a fantastic heritage but have totally lost the plot with this 29er bullshit. Give your customer a choice specialized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • thanks so what would you suggest foy from here

http://www.bikereplacement.co.uk/catalo ... r%20Unisex
  • foy
    How much have you got to spend and do you have to purchase from this shop?
  • i have £900and yes iv got to use that shop for the bike
  • foy
    Do you want a 26er or 29er?
  • think it could be a 29er as i heard that these are fast on pavement and tarmac
  • foy
    sent you private message.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    think it could be a 29er as i heard that these are fast on pavement and tarmac
    Not as fast as a road bike......I can average circa 20mph on my 26" wheeled commuter with 6Kg of panniers on the back and I'm a not so fit mid 40's year old....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I bought a 2013 Rockhopper Comp 29er from Evans Cycles about 3 months ago. I consider myself a beginner, but I bought this bike because (a) it fit me better than the other bikes I tried and (b) it was actually in the shop (unlike the Voodoo Bizango that appears to exist only in reviews rather than being actually available to buy from Halfords). I bought it fully aware that it was probably over the odds price - wise compared to other higher specced bikes at a similar price point, but frankly, my view is that all of that can be a bit anal. It looked good, fit me, and the spec isn't that bad, plus it all works together fine. Can I ride it with confidence? Yes. Is it fun to ride at the local trail centre? Yes. Does it take the abuse when I go 'off piste' from the marked trails? Yep, so far. Does it get me to work and the pub - oh yes, and much faster than my old 26 incher....

Personally, the posts on this site that are down on the Rockhopper are probably not 'wrong'. They are probably well informed and posted by people who know more about mountain bikes than I do. But I really want to get in to mountain biking, and so far the Rockhopper has ony fuelled this desire, not dampen it. My advice would be don't worry about buying one - just worry about finding enough time to ride the thing and enjoy it. You'll have bought a decent bike that you can upgrade when the bits wear out or you want more out of it.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    fark lol will that spesh be good for going to work on and bike rides with the son

It's rideable, but will suffer on anything with a mild bump
  • If you want a BRAND name then buy a Cube. They are the better specced of the big BRAND names. Otherwise for £600 my money would go on a Carrera Fury or the Equivalent Decathlon.