Shirts: Looking like I haven't just stepped out of a hedge.

2»

Comments

• corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Buy decent shirts.

I don't mean really expensive ones, but don't buy cheapo cheapo ones if you don't really have to (I have been in the position of having to before btw). It'll make a huge difference to the first impressions you make both with work contacts and the laydeees. Whenever i put a decent shirt on in the morning (if i'm not on the bike) my wife always notices and comments, and often someone at work will say "you look smart today".

TM Lewin Slim fit are my go-to. You can often get 5 for £100 and if you're on Quidco, you can sometimes get 12% at TM Lewin. That's amazing value. Go to one of their many stores and try a few on first to find out what collar you like, fit you like, arm length you like (there are options on all of these) and then unless you change shape massively you need never go into a shop again. You can order online for delivery, or pick em up in-store if that's easier.

I usually iron 5 shirts and bring them in the car on a day when i need to drive anyway. If i'm not out and about or getting sweaty, i often wear them twice so only have to reload every 2 or 3 weeks (some days I'm not in the office).
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    corriebee1 wrote:
    Buy decent shirts.

I don't mean really expensive ones, but don't buy cheapo cheapo ones if you don't really have to (I have been in the position of having to before btw). It'll make a huge difference to the first impressions you make both with work contacts and the laydeees. Whenever i put a decent shirt on in the morning (if i'm not on the bike) my wife always notices and comments, and often someone at work will say "you look smart today".

TM Lewin Slim fit are my go-to. You can often get 5 for £100 and if you're on Quidco, you can sometimes get 12% at TM Lewin. That's amazing value. Go to one of their many stores and try a few on first to find out what collar you like, fit you like, arm length you like (there are options on all of these) and then unless you change shape massively you need never go into a shop again. You can order online for delivery, or pick em up in-store if that's easier.

I usually iron 5 shirts and bring them in the car on a day when i need to drive anyway. If i'm not out and about or getting sweaty, i often wear them twice so only have to reload every 2 or 3 weeks (some days I'm not in the office).

What 'e said!

Must own every non-iron shirt Charles Tyrwhitt produce, people take notice when you've got your best on & I've not ironed a shirt in years, win win.

My only complaint is that the non-iron 'tailored' (slim slim fit) are still sized for 'skinny' bankers and not racing snakes!!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    tm lewin fully fitted are toit, like a toiger.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:
    corriebee1 wrote:
    Buy decent shirts.

What 'e said!

Must own every non-iron shirt Charles Tyrwhitt produce, people take notice when you've got your best on & I've not ironed a shirt in years, win win.

My only complaint is that the non-iron 'tailored' (slim slim fit) are still sized for 'skinny' bankers and not racing snakes!!

Wot they sed. TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt are great for not expensive but better than M&S shirts.

As Pete said, the tailored ones are perfect for a fatty like me, rather than a rake like him. Y'know, people able to push a proper GI on the fixed instead of the egg beater he spins away on ;)

(more accurately, tailored are for a slim-ish gym types rather than grimpeurs)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    tm lewin fully fitted are toit, like a toiger.

That's lunch sorted... as for you dhope, that KOM of yours on Embankment now has a little strava star next to it, be very very very very afraid...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Okey doke, which of TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt is better for the more "athletic" (skinny) build?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Another vote for Charles Tyrwhitt. Good value for money at 4 for 100 as well.

Poly-Cotton is awful stuff. Gets so sweaty and looks cheap and awful IMO. Nothing wrong with taking pride in your appearance at work. Stuff like that does get noticed. A decent fitting shirt, trousers and shoes are essential in my eyes.

Like has been said nice to get compliments and it feels good looking good. Don't forget some decent ties as well to finish it off.
  • twist83
    davis wrote:
    Okey doke, which of TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt is better for the more "athletic" (skinny) build?

CT do a Extra Slim.
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    I'm 6'2" and fairly slim build. I weigh about 12 stone.

The standard length, slim fit TM Lewin ones are spot-on for me. I don't like to look like i'm trying to burst out of a shirt, so extra slim might be a little too toit in my opinion.

I haven't tried the Tyrwhitt ones, bt they look almost identical, and this site (geeek alert!) would suggest there's no real difference either.

http://www.shirtdetective.com/charles-t ... -tm-lewin/
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    corriebee1 wrote:
    I'm 6'2" and fairly slim build. I weigh about 12 stone.

The standard length, slim fit TM Lewin ones are spot-on for me. I don't like to look like i'm trying to burst out of a shirt, so extra slim might be a little too toit in my opinion.

I haven't tried the Tyrwhitt ones, bt they look almost identical, and this site (geeek alert!) would suggest there's no real difference either.

http://www.shirtdetective.com/charles-t ... -tm-lewin/

I'm 6'3" and about 12 stone so probably a similar build to you and I mainly buy M&S Ultimate non iron shirts with extra length in the body and sleeve... I don't think they make slim fit in Ultimate with extra length but to be honest I like a bit of extra fabric in my work shirts, I like them to feel a bit looser... Generally I find that office environments are too hot/overheated so I like my clothes a bit looser...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    +1 CT. easy to iron. Stay away from Next, if u look at them they crease and if possible to iron.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    TK Maxx is also a good place to get nice shirts from but at a more sensible price.

I (try and) iron my shirts on Sunday evening, then I drive into the office on Monday morning with them all ready for the week ahead. Then the reverse on Friday evening with all the accumulated coat hangers.

If I don't get the above bit right, then I've got an iron/ironing board at the office.

It has unfortunately got more complicated with a 2nd office that I sometimes need to go to or be at both in a single day :roll:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Pufftmw wrote:
    TK Maxx is also a good place to get nice shirts from but at a more sensible price.

I (try and) iron my shirts on Sunday evening, then I drive into the office on Monday morning with them all ready for the week ahead. Then the reverse on Friday evening with all the accumulated coat hangers.

If I don't get the above bit right, then I've got an iron/ironing board at the office.

It has unfortunately got more complicated with a 2nd office that I sometimes need to go to or be at both in a single day :roll:

For me the trouble with places like TK Maxx is that they just don't have shirts that fit me. I've got a long, athletic (skinny) body with longish arms. I get M&S shirts with a 38 chest, 15 collar and extra long sleeves and body
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • twist83
    Pufftmw wrote:

I personally would not call £25 for a 100% Cotton shirt an excessive price? Paying an extra £5-10 per shirt for a noticeable step up in quality is worth it in my eyes. They also wear well. So while some shirts might be £5-10 less you replace them more often.