Shirts: Looking like I haven't just stepped out of a hedge.

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
Generally I'm a scruffy git in the office. I'm fine with it, but I've been requested (by them wimmen-types, no less) to wear smarter stuff after being seen in a suit the other day coming back from a customer.

So, who sells decent cheap mail-order (preferably) shirts that don't take too much looking after and fit a skinny cyclist build (roughly 32" waist [cake!] and 39" chest) ? I don't fancy sending off for tailored or Jermyn St shirts just for "normal" work clothes that I leave in the office. Are those M&S non-iron shirts any good?

I've probably got space to hang clothes, but washing/ironing them is going to be a hassle.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    davis wrote:
    Generally I'm a scruffy git in the office. I'm fine with it, but I've been requested (by them wimmen-types, no less) to wear smarter stuff after being seen in a suit the other day coming back from a customer.

So, who sells decent cheap mail-order (preferably) shirts that don't take too much looking after and fit a skinny cyclist build (roughly 32" waist [cake!] and 39" chest) ? I don't fancy sending off for tailored or Jermyn St shirts just for "normal" work clothes that I leave in the office. Are those M&S non-iron shirts any good?

I've probably got space to hang clothes, but washing/ironing them is going to be a hassle.

I generally wear the M&S non iron ones. They do need ironing, but stand up well to not creasing afterwards. The £99 slim fit suits are pretty good too. They look OK.
    Insert bike here:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Charles Tyrhwhitt or TM lewin non iron shirts. CT do a slim fit option too. normally a 4 for £99 deal on - gte googling. still need to run an iron over them but much easier than a regualar cotton shirt.

M&S are I think a poly cotton mix - you dont want to be wearing polyester, unless you work on the IT helpdesk, in which case you'll fit right in. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • davis
    t4tomo wrote:
    Charles Tyrhwhitt or TM lewin non iron shirts. CT do a slim fit option too. normally a 4 for £99 deal on - gte googling. still need to run an iron over them but much easier than a regualar cotton shirt.

M&S are I think a poly cotton mix - you dont want to be wearing polyester, unless you work on the IT helpdesk, in which case you'll fit right in. :D

Ahah. Just found this shirt which looks reasonable.

Certainly seems to be pure cotton. I guess a travel iron at work might be an option!

And, no, I don't work on the helpdesk. I'm way, way scruffier than them generally :D !
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Next have a sale in a couple of weeks and their slim fit shirts are good quality for the money, used to stock up on them in the sale before our office went all casual!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    +1 for M&S non iron. There is a trick to them. Most important wash them and hang them up striaght away. Fold them lightly into a bag /rucksack before you set off in the morning. When you get to other end it may look a little creased, don't worry put it on and your body heat will warm it up and creases will drop out. That's how they work.

The other options a 5 smart shirts that need ironing and find a dry cleaner or landrete near work that do 5 shirt wash and pressed for £7.99 or similar. Then just drop them all in Friday on way home and pick up on Monday morning.

Now back to the women who said you looked smart in a suit the other day, I think you may of pulled. Do tell us more?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • davis
    Sketchley wrote:
    +1 for M&S non iron. There is a trick to them. Most important wash them and hang them up striaght away. Fold them lightly into a bag /rucksack before you set off in the morning. When you get to other end it may look a little creased, don't worry put it on and your body heat will warm it up and creases will drop out. That's how they work.

Handy, ta. I think I might be able to do a pannier load of shirts, then hang them up near the aircon exhaust. That should do it.
    Sketchley wrote:
    The other options a 5 smart shirts that need ironing and find a dry cleaner or landrete near work that do 5 shirt wash and pressed for £7.99 or similar. Then just drop them all in Friday on way home and pick up on Monday morning.

Ah, no laundrette here in the sticks! Also, no way would I spend 8 quid a week on someone to do the ironing!
    Sketchley wrote:
    Now back to the women who said you looked smart in a suit the other day, I think you may of pulled. Do tell us more?

*blush* Well, erm, yes. But my name is not Hambones, and she ain't a receptionist.
  • davis
    What about Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron vs. M&S non-iron? They're roughly the same price.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I bring my shirts in (one at a time) in a backpack ... fold and roll ... then hang once you're in (I usually bring in a spare to hang). Works with trousers too ...
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    roll them when you pack into the bag, the creases are less tight and therefore drop out easier

other thing to do is wear a smart jumper and a tie :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wear a Jacket, that way, the crumpled sleeves, back and sides are less noticeable.

Or tell them feck right off and go about your business.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    edhornby wrote:
    other thing to do is wear a smart jumper and a tie :)

NO! Stop right there. Jumpers ≠ suitable office attire.

I've always found M&S shirts to look best when fitted with tent poles. Their super-skinny fit ones would look great on someone with the athletic physique of Cyril Smith.

Zara do some nice skinny fit ones, surprisingly. Otherwise look out for special offers on custom made shirts (there was a groupon or something a week or two back offering made to measure shirts at £20 a pop).
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i now use a shirt shuttle. noticeable difference.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Sketchley wrote:

+1 - got one on now
    they do a 2 for £60 deal every now and then

I've tried Next, TM Lewin, Pink etc and they ain't as good for the money.

I also have some M&S trouser for when it's raining as I don;t want my decent sits getting effed up. In fact I have them on now. £40 I think - wash them and they come out ready to wear.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Slowbike wrote:
    I bring my shirts in (one at a time) in a backpack ... fold and roll ... then hang once you're in (I usually bring in a spare to hang). Works with trousers too ...

Me too, only ever wear TM Lewin shirts.

The old lady is an expert at ironing them now, she's had 22 years practice :wink:
    FCN = 4
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    For gawds sake guys ... you can't talk about shopping for clothes and where to buy the "best shirt" - unless it's a cycling shirt and the best place is a bike shop - online or otherwise ... and you better be buying a spare inner tube or brake cable with that ...

Anyway - there are only two types of shops - supermarkets for buying food/drink and LBS's for everything else... that's right isn't it?! ;)
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I have some M@S ones and some Thomas pink 'traveller' ones. Pink are better IMO. I struggle as I need the 2 inch longer ones and they are always much more expensive !
  • sketchley
    Some of you are paying too much.

3 for £27 this one assorted colour but white and blue also available

http://www.marksandspencer.com/3-Pack-E ... s=center-3
    --
    Chris

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    These have bolstered my collection of shirts and I'm really pleased with the quality and ease of care/ironing/creasing in my cycle bag: http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 5480+BT_-1

Also the woman/women that have requested you dress smarter, I hope you'll be asking her to dinner and the next day she looks scruffy having worn exactly the same clothes she was wearing the day before. What with the not going home and all that!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • davis
    Sketchley wrote:

Aren't those poly-cotton?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What's wrong with Poly-cotton?

It's work, my suits are from Primark, reckon they're about as good as early - mid 2000 Next suits (not the new stuff, Next recently improved their quality). They do the job.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    davis wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Aren't those poly-cotton?

They are work shirts and work don't pay for them. They work. They don't need ironning. I don't care.

My "casual" shirts tend to me a bit more flash. Like this one which I own, although that's not me in the picture. These do need Ironing.

31C1295_5004?wid=396
    --
    Chris

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    well if we are extending this to casual then a mate of mine likes a lairy casual shirt. He has a few from Shite Shirts
    Here's an example

dsc02325_1.jpg

I think they look disgusting but he likes them and he's big enough that no one argues
    FCN = 4
  • sketchley
    I like the fact you can't choose a design it's random! Still not in my size!
    --
    Chris

• jongooligan
    jongooligan Posts: 223
    Sketchley wrote:

This + hang it up in the shower room when you get to work (assuming you've got one). The steam from the shower helps smooth out any creases.
  • Simple. What you do is donate your shirts to the Oxfam shop near work. Then buy them back in the morning, cleaned and ironed for 50p each.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    +1 for rolling clothes. I do this the night before while I've got time to take care. I lay out trousers, shirt on top, towel on top of that, keeping shirt is flat as possible. Then roll carefully!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It's work, my suits are from Primark, reckon they're about as good as early - mid 2000 Next suits (not the new stuff, Next recently improved their quality). They do the job.
    Polyester isn't breathable so can get a bit sweaty but most non iron shirts including the m&s ones are pure cotton, they use nanotex to make them non iron...poly cotton is a very 1970s idea...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Polyester isn't breathable so can get a bit sweaty but most non iron shirts including the m&s ones are pure cotton, they use nanotex to make them non iron...poly cotton is a very 1970s idea...
    Polycotton shirts and crimplene trousers. What's not to like?
    6a00d8341d4dc653ef014e864aaab8970d-800wi
  • davis
    DonDaddyD wrote:

This sums up my objection nicely! Plus pure cotton seems to hang better (and therefore look better, and if I'm talking about raising wimmens' opinions then hey, that counts).
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    tm lewin and snagged only in the 5 for 100 odd squids. Roll up on the day and its look fine 5-10 mins after putting on and body heat sorts the creases out. Even the iron ones uncrease - I personally find the noniron ones slightly weird feeling and don't normally buy them.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]