Got an mtb: upgrade or replace for more road-friendly bike?

2»

Comments

• What about The Revolution Cross for £474 or getting a Specialized Tricross off Ebay? I've ridden one of these and it was very nice and they are generally well thought out and will last for years.
  • Chimpboy74
    Chimpboy74 Posts: 18
    I've bitten the bullet and gone with the Jamis nova sport disc. The allure of drop bars, disc brakes and a sub £500 price was too tempting.

Might be a wee while before I get it as I'm off on hols for a couple of weeks but I'm genuinely excited (my wife thinks I'm a Saddo) now that I've saved a couple of quid suggestions are welcome on best mud guards!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is much appreciated.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Drop bars and mud guards?
    I'm obviously either in a parallel universe.
    Or the commuter forum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chimpboy74
    I'm a microbiologist. I know what lives in muddy puddles and I don't want that in my mouth.
  • cooldad
    Have you considered golf?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chimpboy74
    Not sure what you are getting at. But yes I also play golf. I take it that the fact I want mud guards on my bike isn't the right thing to do?
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    I think the 'issue' (for cooldad!) is asking advice on mudguards for a drop-bar bike on a MTB forum! :wink:

However, in the absence of a cyclocross forum, the fact that you want to take your bike off-road, and you want protection from the mud, makes this as legitimate a place to ask as anywhere else!

I've bought (but not yet fitted - the weather has been too nice! 8) ) a set of the SKS Raceblade XL; my cross bike gets used as a commuter, so mudguards need to fit under a rack and offer reasonable weather protection, but I also want to be able to clip them on and off when the weather's better and / or I want to go out and play. If you don't need fuller mud protection, then something like the crud catcher and race guard would fit the bill (and you often see these on mountain bikes! :wink:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cru ... tch__plid_

There are loads of this type of 'guards out there, and I think you can also get some slimmer versions for narrower tyres ... just shop around ...
  • cooldad
    As I've been asked nicely to behave, I will.
    But I believe (maybe I read it on the internet) that ingesting dirt improves your immune system.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chimpboy74
    Don't believe everything you read on the net. There are plenty of things to be found in puddles that will do your immune system no good.

Thanks kevinharley for the advice. I will check those out.
  • cooldad
    Chimpboy74 wrote:
    Don't believe everything you read on the net. There are plenty of things to be found in puddles that will do your immune system no good.
    So I shouldn't believe you?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools