Got an mtb: upgrade or replace for more road-friendly bike?

Chimpboy74
Chimpboy74 Posts: 18
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi
New to the forum (read the news articles regularly though!)

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but not sure where else to put it!

I have a specialized hardrock sport disc with 26x2.1 tyres. I have found myself recently doing a lot less off road stuff and a lot more cycle path/towpath type stuff (getting old....) but some of these paths are pretty broken up and rough but a lot is nice smooth Tarmac. I go out about 3-4 times a week for 15 miles each time and finding the hardrock kind of heavy going. I have been considering my options and wondered what advice I might get (trying to avoid sales persons advice).

Could I go for the cheap option and stick some narrower tyres on and see the benefit or

I have been looking at getting a new bike and checking out the hybrids but wondering if a cyclocross might be a good option for me. I'm not commuting, I cycle for pleasure and fitness and like the idea of a roadbike but some of my routes i think would wreck a roadbike. So thought the cyclocross seemed like a good idea but they are also more expensive than some of the decent hybrids available. I'm struggling to know what to do based on my usage.

I know there will be lots of different opinions but I would very much appreciate hearing all the pros and cons of. Each option before I go and start checking out bike shops

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try some slicks. For £20 it's a cheap experiment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chimpboy74
    I think I will do this in first place. Any thoughts on the hybrids (which I kind of feel like I will have created by adding slicks to my mtb) vs cyclocross ??
  • cooldad
    Can't see the point in a hybrid, and never ridden a cyclocross bike, so not really.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I wouldn't buy a hybrid - just stick some slicks on. Cross bikes are great if you want dropped handlebars, which is a bit faster on road. The Revolution cross bikes are the cheapest (decent) cross bikes out there IMO. Boardman & Orange cross bikes may also interest.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Get a cyclocross bike! :D

I had a Boardman Hybrid until it was stolen recently. It was fine for my commute and work-related visits that I do (mostly urban roads), but its off-road abilities were very limited (understandably - not what it is designed for!). I replaced it with a cx bike; I wanted drop bars, to keep the disc brakes, and slightly more off-road capability ...

I can honestly say I've had a real blast on it in the last few weeks ... its great for riding on mixed surfaces; its reasonably quick on the tarmac sections, and can take canal towpaths, smoother bridlepaths, cycle-paths and easier off-road trails in its stride. Very happy with mine!
  • boyse7en
    boyse7en Posts: 59
    I stuck some slicks (Nimbus Armadillos I think) on my vintage Orange P7 and it was fine for towpath/light trail use.

When it got nicked, I replaced it with a Specialized Tri-cross Sport, which is definitely faster but not by a huge amount (about 3-4 mins on my 13 mile commute)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Slicks (Schwalbe city jet are the go to budget option!), maybe lightweight rigid forks and you'll have a lighter and much more responsive bike.

My Commuter is a Hybrid frame fitted out with all MTB bits except for the slick tyres, and I have a couple of Strava KOM's with that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chimpboy74
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I made the mistake of phoning a local bike shop and the guy suggested cyclocross based on my usage. Until I told him my budget. Then he started recommending hybrids. I just figured that I wouldn't get a cyclocross for my budget (up to £800) turns out they just happened not to stock any cyclocross below £1000. I know I can find them in my price range. I guess that's why I came here to ask in the first place!!!

I think I'm favouring the cx but choice is much more limited when you don't have thousands to spend!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go to Decathlon and buy this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-5-road-b ... 39798.html

22lbs, carbon fork, less than £400.
  • cooldad
    I especially like this bit:
    "Optimised posture - elevated bust thanks to the flat handlebar and raised stem"
    Wonder if it will help with my moobs?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chimpboy74
    If it gets rid of moobs I'm in!!
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    I have a Specialized Rockhopper and just switched from the standard 26x2.1 tyres for some 1.8 road based tyres as recently I am riding it to work more than off road and one ride the difference is night and day so much less rolling resistance and I know I am only a tyre change away from it being off road ready again.
  • kevinharley
    Chimpboy74 wrote:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I made the mistake of phoning a local bike shop and the guy suggested cyclocross based on my usage. Until I told him my budget. Then he started recommending hybrids. I just figured that I wouldn't get a cyclocross for my budget (up to £800) turns out they just happened not to stock any cyclocross below £1000. I know I can find them in my price range. I guess that's why I came here to ask in the first place!!!

I think I'm favouring the cx but choice is much more limited when you don't have thousands to spend!

There are plenty of cross bikes to be had for around £800; if you're happy with cantilever brakes, then you can get cross bikes in the £600 - £800 range.

Here are a few disc-brake cx bikes to consider:

This is the cheapest I've found on a quick search - Jamis Nova Sport, disc brakes, at £550!)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... 4#features

Genesis Croix de fer - normally £899, on offer here at £755!!
    http://www.realcycles.com/m37b0s199p461 ... S_Cdf_2013

Norco Threshold A3 Disc, £700
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec041207

Saracen Urban Hack (what I have, normally £899, and not great value, but mine was nearly half that, and barely used, and I'm very happy with it) ... but you'll need cx tyres, as they come with slicks as standard:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sar ... tch__plid_

Revolution Cross Sport, £650:
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ross-bikes

Pinnacle Arkose two, down to £810 from £900:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec039562

Roux Conquest 3500, £780:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rou ... e-ec051746

So ... these, and probably loads of others, to choose from, if you have £800 to spend ...
  • Chimpboy74
    Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely favour the discs (got them on my mtb and think they're great - not getting on well with the hydraulics so happy to check out cables)

I'm actually hoping to check out the revolution cross sport in a couple of days. Much as I can go to £800 the more I can save on the bike means I can get new helmet and accessories with remainder!

I also had already spotted the Janos nova sport but there's only one frame size left.

I was chatting with a guy today who suggested a 29er with narrower tyres but I can probably just put those on my existing MTb.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    How about a Cotic X? Steel lovliness and great looking bikes. Not sure how the spec matches up but a nice all rounder.

http://vimeo.com/24459148

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/x

They also do the flat handle-bared Road Rat that looks nice too.
  • kevinharley
    Seem to recall that the Tektro Lyra disc brakes (as fitted to all of the list above apart from the Genesis CdF / Saracen / Pinnacle Arkose) have had some mixed reports, particularly around being difficult to set up, and needing to be regularly tweaked, so you might want to do a bit of research on this ...

the Saracen comes with Promax cable disc brakes - never come across these before, but I find them good; easily as good, if not better, than the avid BB5's I had on my hybrid.

The other two (Genesis and Pinnacle) come with the Avid BB5's - good brakes, but I (and others - do a forum search) have found that the adjuster wheel to move the inner pad in and out can get seized ... the answer seems to be to give it a tweak every week or so to free it up.

The more expensive offerings will get a carbon fork; in my expereince it's worth the extra outlay if you can afford it ... in the last few years, I've had carbon on 1 roadbike, 1 cx bike and 1 hybrid , and 1 hybrid without ... and the carbon does seem to do a better job of taking the buzz out of the road / trail.

Good luck with finding the right choice for you ...
  • kevinharley
    chrisw333 wrote:
    How about a Cotic X? Steel lovliness and great looking bikes. Not sure how the spec matches up but a nice all rounder.

http://vimeo.com/24459148

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/x

For that price, if you want steel, the Genesis CdF can be had with disc brakes from Real Cycles ...
  • Chimpboy74
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I have realised I'm favouring the cyclocross because it opens up a new area for me (almost like a stepping stone into the world of road cycling) I'm really enjoying the road parts (even on my mtb)

I intend keeping the old bike for when I want to do some real rough stuff.
  • supersonic
    Is a single speed - is that what you are after?
  • Chimpboy74
    Sorry I deleted my post I didn't spot it was single speed. Definitely not what I'm looking for. Think I got a bit over excited!!!
  • Chimpboy74
    edited June 2013
    Checked the revolution cross sport disc out today (http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ross-bikes)
    Seemed quite good but im new to this type of bike so any thoughts on this model would be appreciated

Comes with 700x33 tyres but larger can be fitted apparently. My budget was £800 but reckon I need a new helmet and some other bits and bobs so £650 hits a good price spot for me.

Saw the comment regarding the brakes. Will definitely check that out but have hayes so1es just now which have been a bit of a pain so couldn't be any worse?
  • supersonic
    CX bikes are never that good value, but this has ll the basics. The disc brakes are average at best, it is not that light and the parts are average too.

It will get you by fine if it is a bike of this type you want, but I'd be looking at a flat bar road tyoe bike like the decathlon mentioned earlier - cheaper and lighter.
  • Chimpboy74
    I see what you are saying. I might go and check it out. Was favouring the drop bars but maybe I could add those myself.

I certainly don't want to spend a big whack of money and get "average"

I'm normally a big fan of buying stuff second hand but I'm not too keen on getting a bike this way. My other option is just to sit tight and wait for a good 50% off sale !!!!!
  • Chimpboy74
    Just as an aside question would you normally go for a slightly smaller frame than is recommended for a road bike? I'm 5'11 with approx 33" inseam but quite long arms. I've seen sizing on some websites that recommend 57cm for my height but it seems to be the same for a road bike.
  • supersonic
    Frame seat tube length is largely irrelevent - is length of the reach that matters (you can always raise the seat post ;-))

And measurement vary a lot for a given listed 'size'.

Trying them out is key until you get uised to the figures.
  • Chimpboy74
    Maybe my gibbon arms might be the deciding factor!!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    XL then......

CX bikes as SS says rarely seem to coem in at good value, I know this is round in cicrcles but you could consider a road biased flat barred hybrid like the Boardmans, for that you'll have avid hydro discs and X7ish drivetrain....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chimpboy74
    Going to check this one out Monday:

http://m.evanscycles.com/products/norco ... e-ec041207

£700 with £50 accessories/clothes chucked in. Was going to buy new helmet anyway so it's tempting (assuming I like the bike). Top end of my budget was £800 but wanted to get some accessories (mud guards etc etc and some clothing - shorts and helmet). Saw a "soiled" higher end spec one (at similar price) which I would have gone for but was too slow off the mark!
  • kevinharley
    I concur with the view that you get better kit on a flat-bar road / hybrid bike, but before you hand over your £800 on a hybrid ...

- Don't think that putting drops on it at some point in the future will be an easy / cheap option; I looked into this when I had my Boardman Hybrid. Gears / mechs and shifters (in)compatibility issues meant that it would have cost me hundreds (RRP for Sora STI 9sp shifters is £100, and that's just for starters!) to change to drops .. see the advice I was given here:

viewtopic.php?f=40038&t=12870872

- Don't rule out second hand; my cx bike retails at £900 new; I was lucky and got one with a few months under its belt at £480. You do tend to see quite a few cx bikes on ebay / preloved / gumtree etc, and quite often they are from people who thought they 'wanted' a cx bike, and then found they didn't really use it much, so you can pick something up which has had little use, at a significant discount from new price.

- I spent 12 months of my 18 months ownership of a Boardman Hybrid, wishing I'd got a cx bike instead ... but for the 6 weeks I've had a cx bike, I've had a big grin on my face (Look ---> :D ) I guess it comes down to what you want to use it for; I ride on roads as a necessity (commuting, work visits etc) rather than out of a roadie-type passion; but I'm always looking for / hankering after being off road. I've a MTB for the rougher off-road stuff, but the CX allows me to choose (easier) off-road alternatives when I'm commuting / working, and so a mix of road, canal, bridlepath and smoother singletrack is, for me, much more enjoyable ... the cx has allowed me to do much more of that than my hybrid ever allowed.
  • Chimpboy74
    Hiyah. Thanks for your post. I agree with everything. I think I knew that if I got a flat bar I probably would never even get round to investigating changing the bars let alone doing it.
    I found a new (but scratched) Jamis nova sport disc 2013 with 25% off list so it's coming in well under my total budget. (I'm all for saving money!) there are probably better bikes out there but for what I want I reckon it's a good deal for under £500 (even adding pedals)