Bottom Bracket Replace upgrade?Options?

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    CUBEical wrote:
    Secondly learn to ask the question you want snswered not a different one!

How is my OP not the question i wanted answering ?
    It was when you stated that money was no object.....

Suggestion - best not to wee wee off the people who will be the ones you want to help you next time you need it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical Posts: 211
    CUBEical wrote:
    Secondly learn to ask the question you want snswered not a different one!

How is my OP not the question i wanted answering ?
    It was when you stated that money was no object.....

Suggestion - best not to wee wee off the people who will be the ones you want to help you next time you need it!

Well i hope i have not pissed you off.I meant money not an option to replacing just the bb.
    cooldad wrote:
    Square taper cranks are another story though.
    Do you mean by how long they last ?

Mines squared tapered. if i wanted an external set i would need to change the whole crank set to. What are the best for a mtb? i have read that the cartridges last for years. more than the external ones. Some people have even said they are better than the external ones. Is there really any difference that reflects the price difference ?
    I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............
  • The Rookie
    CUBEical wrote:
    I meant money not an option to replacing just the bb.
    And you could have got one costsing in excess of £50 for the ultimate square taper BB (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-SQUAR ... 4ac5cc3553), but that would have been silly as a Deore cransket would overall be a superior package for the same cost.

So as I said, make sure you ask the question you mean to ask.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical wrote:
    I meant money not an option to replacing just the bb.
    And you could have got one costsing in excess of £50 for the ultimate square taper BB (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-SQUAR ... 4ac5cc3553), but that would have been silly as a Deore cransket would overall be a superior package for the same cost.

So as I said, make sure you ask the question you mean to ask.
    lol that was manufactured in 1992.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your point being?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CUBEical
    cooldad wrote:
    Your point being?
    Well its old shop stock ,so its been on the shelf for 21 years, that is a very long time. That is my point no need to get funny about it thought we had got over this ?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    CUBEical wrote:
    On a nicer note what do you all have as a bb? would be interesting to see what types you alll got.

My new ride has an FSA Mega Exo. No idea whether that's good, but it's a great name, lol.
  • The Rookie
    CUBEical wrote:
    Mines squared tapered. if i wanted an external set i would need to change the whole crank set to. What are the best for a mtb? i have read that the cartridges last for years. more than the external ones. Some people have even said they are better than the external ones. Is there really any difference that reflects the price difference ?
    External setups are lighter and stiffer than square taper, I have an XT HT2 setup with external BB.

Good square taper cartridges have good bearings and the cartridge ensures good alignement at all times which is why they last.

My commuter uses an ST with a track crankset which is 50g heavier than the equivalent parts on my XTsetup on the MTB.
  • CUBEical
    External setups are lighter and stiffer than square taper,
    ?
    Are they stiffer to turn the pedal is that what you mean? Would this not make them worse ?
  • cooldad
    Think about it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    CUBEical wrote:
    Are they stiffer to turn the pedal is that what you mean? Would this not make them worse ?
    No, yes if it happened.
  • CUBEical
    cooldad wrote:
    Think about it.
    nope i am lost lol
  • cooldad
    The axle is stiffer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CUBEical
    cooldad wrote:
    The axle is stiffer.
    If the axle is stiffer surely it would be harder to pedal ?
  • cooldad
    The axle - stiffer and lighter. So it doesn't flex.
    The bearings - not stiffer. Why would anyone make something that's supposed to turn stiff?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Stiffer, doesn't bend or twist as much....the axle and the bearings are 2 seperate parts, the axle is stiffer not the bearings.
  • CUBEical
    arhh ok now I am with you..
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Just looking at bb options and the xtr isn't that expensive, that is of course you have a compatible chain set to use with it.

Do you guys pay the extra and run xtr bottom bracket ?

my bike just has a cheapo alivio chainset which is being replaced with slx chainset and wonder what bb you get with this xt ?
  • The Rookie
    XT or XTR, I have a local source of good used XT's for a tenner each, so no brainer for me!
  • cooldad
    SLX and XT BBs are the same (BB71) Deore is BB51, XTR IS BB91. I use XTR because you can get them as cheap as XT and they are a lot better than Deore. I've never used XT but the sealing looks similar to XTR, so has to be better than Deore.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    thanks for that information, xtr should be better with it being race spec for all weather conditions ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    what do you mean race spec?

XTR should just be better as it could have used better materials to contruct it and more effort into sealing the crud out.
  • swod1
    what do you mean race spec?

XTR should just be better as it could have used better materials to contruct it and more effort into sealing the crud out.

I thought the r stands for race, so extra seals to block out dirt etc.
  • The Rookie
    Taking that logically, you would use less seals and stuff to reduce drag and save weight - races are short compared to normal use so durability is less important.....in reality while R did stand for race, XTR is just 'stuff better than XT' in reality.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Why would anyone make something that's supposed to turn stiff?

Fnarr!