Bottom Bracket Replace upgrade?Options?

CUBEical
CUBEical Posts: 211
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Is there any good upgrades that will replace a , bb un26 square tapered , 68 plus mm? In the price region of £10 to £20? as I would like to get one. As mine is looking dead.I do not want to replace anything else so it would need to be compatible with what i have already got.

Thanks For your time.
I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nothing is an upgrade for that money. Just buy like for like.
  • CUBEical
    ok what would you suggest if money was not an option ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    CUBEical wrote:
    bin it all get the BB shell faced and fit an external bearing crankset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CUBEical
    well you have
    shimano UN-26 , UN-51 , UN-55,

RPM Square Taper

these are all in that price range i just want to know which one is best. the un-55 is the most expensive rrp. Does this make it the better option ?
  • CUBEical
    nicklouse wrote:
    CUBEical wrote:

If you read it properly I do not want to REPLACE anything else just the bottom bracket :lol: .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    An UN55 lasts about 20 years, as UN26 about 10 years.

So if yours is working fine, leave as is ;-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    CUBEical wrote:
    As mine is looking dead.
    Is it dead, or just looking it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    CUBEical wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    CUBEical wrote:

If you read it properly I do not want to REPLACE anything else just the bottom bracket :lol: .

and looking at all the other issues you have?

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12928720
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CUBEical
    edited June 2013
    nicklouse wrote:
    CUBEical wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    CUBEical wrote:

and looking at all the other issues you have?

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12928720
    I do not get your point ? There is no need to be flippant. What is it with some moderators on here think they can just act like they want, say what they want, rip the piss when they want. It is not setting a good example. It also should not be aloud.
  • CUBEical
    supersonic wrote:
    An UN55 lasts about 20 years, as UN26 about 10 years.

So if yours is working fine, leave as is ;-)

Thanks at least some are good advice givers lol.
  • The Rookie
    CUBEical wrote:
    I do not get your point ? There is no need to be flippant. What is it with some moderators on here think they can just act like they want, say what they want, rip the wee-wee when they want. It is not setting a good example. It also should not be aloud.
    The point Nick was making is you don't know if the BB is dead or if it's something else...a complete crankset would resolve that, perfectly good advice on that basis.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CUBEical
    He was pointing out the fact i would need to replace everything after he said to get rid of everything and upgrade it if money was not an option but i said i did not want to replace anything but the bb, After that he linked it to another thread that is irrelevant to this one, trying to take the piss as there supposedly a few things wrong....which if he actualy read the other thread instead of just trying to be little people nick would see it is sorted now.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You're quite an antsy person.

If you want help perhaps be a little more coherent and specific.
  • CUBEical

antsy ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    CUBEical wrote:

antsy ?
    ant·sy
    /ˈantsē/
    Adjective
    Agitated, impatient, or restless.

I don't get it neither.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or maybe i do.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    TOTKO!
  • cooldad
    How juvenile.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CUBEical

If you want help perhaps be a little more coherent and specific.

I am not agitated , inpatient or restless.

(Just annoyed,I want answers now and need to know, I can not chill out until I know ..................)

How Is This Not Specific ? Its coherent as the last time I checked this was a forum about MTBs ?
    CUBEical wrote:
    Is there any good upgrades that will replace a , bb un26 square tapered , 68 plus mm? In the price region of £10 to £20? as I would like to get one. As mine is looking dead.I do not want to replace anything else so it would need to be compatible with what i have already got.

Thanks For your time.
    :| :arrow: :?: :!:
  • The Rookie
    CUBEical wrote:

snip

I want answers now
    So you aren't impatient but want answers now?

You sure?

FGS take some chill pills!
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical wrote:

snip

I want answers now
    So you aren't impatient but want answers now?

You sure?

FGS take some chill pills!

I was being sarcastic lol
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You asked what BB to upgrade to for £10. You were told that you couldn't upgrade for that. You asked what if budget was unlimited. You got an answer that you may as well upgrade the chain set to something that wasn't made obsolete 10 years ago, which I wholehearted agree with. I suspect this is a moot point as budget is obviously very constrained rather than the unlimited you suggested in your second post.

I see no issues here, you're looking to find fault, and you posed a situation to which the answer you received was entirely accurate, albeit irrelevant to you.
  • CUBEical
    njee20 wrote:
    You asked what BB to upgrade to for £10. You were told that you couldn't upgrade for that. You asked what if budget was unlimited. You got an answer that you may as well upgrade the chain set to something that wasn't made obsolete 10 years ago, which I wholehearted agree with. I suspect this is a moot point as budget is obviously very constrained rather than the unlimited you suggested in your second post.

I see no issues here, you're looking to find fault, and you posed a situation to which the answer you received was entirely accurate, albeit irrelevant to you.

It was OP £10 to £20 and as I said,
    I wanted to upgrade just the bb. Then got told it would not be an upgrade for that price, meaning all the other bb THAT WOULD BE COMPATIBLE are more than that, but after not really getting any help i looked and found a un 55 , for around £15 which is an upgrade, for that price range. As I have said i do not want to change anything else as there is no need. When i said if money was not a issue i meant just for an upgrade on the bb, If money was not an issue i would not be riding around on a second hand over sized cube mtb, i would be on something allot more better and suited for my size. The issue here is some one nit picking and saying i might as well replace the whole lot as i got other problems in another thread but if they actually read it they would see its all been sorted, this is a site for info on mtb, i never knew it was like being in a school playground. Just seeking advice turns into some immature nit picking , slag off. I am better than you crap. If you going to look down at people and put them down because they either new to MTB or not as educated or well off to buy all the new gadgets and bike bits, or pay the professionals to do the work for them. Then I do not think this site is for you. Ok there are great people on here but allot of people just go on about irrelevant things not even to do with the OP. They nit pick on stupid things , put you down. Its not fair. I do not do it so why should i put up with it ?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why is it always people with an inferiority complex who blame the fact they've not spent thousands on their bike who have this hissy fit?

No one cares whether you spent £100 or £10,000 on your bike, the advice you received was generally sound, if you want to get your knickers in a twist that's fine.
  • The Rookie
    Sheesh.....rule No1 when in a hole stop digging

Secondly learn to ssk the question you want snswered not a different one!

Also don't wee wee off those most likely to help you next time you want it.
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    popcorn.jpg
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • supersonic
    Changing a perfectly functioning BB to another is not an upgrade - you achieve nothing.

If irt was dead however, then things change.
  • CUBEical
    popcorn.jpg
    This is awesome just made me really smile.
    Secondly learn to ssk the question you want snswered not a different one!

How is my OP not the question i wanted answering ? as i have stated there is an upgrade to a un 55, all the other crap that goes with it is not needed, I do not want to piss you or any one off. Just do not like the way some people are on here. People forget what this website is all about.
    njee20 wrote:
    Why is it always people with an inferiority complex who blame the fact they've not spent thousands on their bike who have this hissy fit?

No one cares whether you spent £100 or £10,000 on your bike, the advice you received was generally sound, if you want to get your knickers in a twist that's fine.
    i am not having a hissy fit lol, just sticking up for myself. Sorry i refuse to get talked to like i am worthless, you have just proved my point too. Also what i have said is true.Think we should just leave it there, If you want to give me advice with no hidden digs or put downs then fine. Please do. i have met some decent people on here and i do like coming on every day. can just do with out all the shit that goes with it. Seems like allot of you know each other on here already and like to rip the new guy, well i am not having it. As i said lets leave it at that. So we can all get back to do what we joined this site for , giving nd seeking advice.PEACE.
    supersonic wrote:
    Changing a perfectly functioning BB to another is not an upgrade - you achieve nothing.

If irt was dead however, then things change.

Well its pretty stiff when off and pin it in hands, also looks like a seal is coming off and there is dirt getting in, seems ok on the bike though, so i am guessing it still got life in it.I am going to leave it until it well and truly gone.

On a nicer note what do you all have as a bb? would be interesting to see what types you alll got.
  • supersonic
    I have a UN/Lp26 on one bike, about 17 years old, a Shimano ES51, a Truvativ external
  • cooldad
    Shimano cartridge, no idea of models, but one is about 25 years old, another probably over 20 by now, and a few random ones over 10 years. My most used bike has an HTII XTR external, about 2 years old. Which is decent for an external, but cartrides seem to last forever. Square taper cranks are another story though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools