Gatorade

nick1972
nick1972 Posts: 144
edited June 2013 in Road general
Has anybody taken Gatorade up on their money back offer if Sky ride wins the Tour? I just ordered the Gatorade British 10k pack

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Didn't you just answer your own question?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I have no idea what your talking about but I have used Gatorade to recharge my iPod.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I thought it was going to be about saving Aligators or something :-(
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • NUFCrichard
    NUFCrichard Posts: 103
    It looks like a decent deal to be honest, if you can be bothered to fulfill the conditions. The odds suggest Froome has a 78% chance of winning, but if something goes wrong I think Porte will be close by anyway.

I tend to think of Gatorade as something kids drink, but I think they have some real sports drinks too, I might see if anthing takes my fancy.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Details here if interested.
    http://www.gatorade.co.uk/ifwewinyouwin
  • smidsy
    Hmm. I think they are pretty safe (i.e will never have to pay any money back). From their site.

This year, if any Team Sky rider wins again, we’ll be celebrating by giving our customers their money back.

Now surley that is implossible. The only rider who could achieve this is not even starting the race!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    It looks like a decent deal to be honest, if you can be bothered to fulfill the conditions. The odds suggest Froome has a 78% chance of winning, but if something goes wrong I think Porte will be close by anyway.

I tend to think of Gatorade as something kids drink, but I think they have some real sports drinks too, I might see if anthing takes my fancy.

You need to change the battery in your calculator. Current odds 1.82 on the exchanges equates to 55%! :)
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    smidsy wrote:
    Hmm. I think they are pretty safe (i.e will never have to pay any money back). From their site.

This year, if any Team Sky rider wins again, we’ll be celebrating by giving our customers their money back.

Now surley that is implossible. The only rider who could achieve this is not even starting the race!!!

You do realise Froome has targeted the tour, and based of the tours of the early season and his results, he is in VERY good form. It is very plausible.
  • imposter2.0
    smidsy wrote:

logic fail.
  • smidsy
    Read the quote again.

if any Team Sky rider wins again.

The only team Sky rider to have won already is Wiggo. You can not win again unless you have already won!

So I think their money is pretty safe.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • imposter2.0
    smidsy wrote:
    Read the quote again.

The only team Sky rider to have won already is Wiggo. You can not win again unless you have already won!

Logic fail again. Have some more coffee. I'll give you a clue while the kettle's on...
    if any Team Sky rider wins (again).
    The word 'again' is being used for context because a member of the Sky team won the event last year.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Imposter wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Read the quote again.

Logic fail again. Have some more coffee. I'll give you a clue while the kettle's on...
    The word 'again' is being used for context because a member of the Sky team won the event last year.

This x100.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    to be fair in your quote, it says 'wins again'. It doesnt say 'wins the tour again'
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    On the basis of what has been quoted here only (and I can't be bothered to go to the site), the deal looks a very good one. "If any Team Sky rider wins again" - doesn't specify GC. So that'll include any jersey and any stage win then unless they do specify GC only! ;)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smidsy
    Imposter wrote:

You have change the context.

The only Sky rider that can win again is Wiggo. Any other Sky rider who wins this time simply wins.

The use of any in the original (quoted direct from their site) scentence is superfluous in that context.

Just because your understanding of grammer is wrong does not make my logic wrong.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • imposter2.0
    smidsy wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

You have change the context.

The only Sky rider that can win again is Wiggo. Any other Sky rider who wins this time simply wins.

The use of any in the original (quoted direct from their site) scentence is superfluous in that context.

Just because your understanding of grammer is wrong does not make my logic wrong.

Jesus. Let's break it down, for the hard of understanding. Here's the quote from the website:
    This year, if any Team Sky rider wins again

I'm guessing the two words you are struggling with are 'any' and 'again'.

'any' - means any of the nine riders entered
    'again' - means one of the 'any' riders indicated above repeating the winning performance of last year.

Did you drink that coffee yet? It's clear enough to me (and probably hundreds of thousands of others). But I guess Gatorade didn't reckon on you reading it. I'm embarrassed for you, to be honest.
  • smidsy
    edited June 2013
    Imposter wrote:

'again' - means one of the 'any' riders indicated above repeating the winning performance of last year.

So you clearly state the correct terminology (and even provide a sound explanation) and yet still fail to see that the only way any of the riders indicated can repeat the winning performance is by having already won?

If it is meant to mean what you suggest they should have cited "if any rider of team SKy wins we will refund you"

Hmmm, double espresso for you.

Edit:

Alternatively if they really want to use the word again they should have just stated "if team Sky wins again".

They can not use any and again in their scentence, it has to be one or the other to be grammatically correct.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Imposter wrote:
    Jesus. Let's break it down, for the hard of understanding. Here's the quote from the website:
    This year, if any Team Sky rider wins again

We know what it means - it's just not what it says ...

the use of the word again changes the context - it is superfluous to what is intended to be meant - ie If any Team Sky rider wins (the tdf) .... by adding the word "again" it's changing the meaning to require the individual winning rider to have won it previously.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Drinking too much Gatorade have we?? :)
  • Jesus wept
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smidsy
    Jesus wept

Presumably because the Jews had no better understanding of grammar than Sky does :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • imposter2.0
    Slowbike wrote:
    the use of the word again changes the context - it is superfluous to what is intended to be meant - ie If any Team Sky rider wins (the tdf) .... by adding the word "again" it's changing the meaning to require the individual winning rider to have won it previously.

Wiggins cannot win again, obviously. But a Team Sky rider can win again. Come on, this is not difficult.
    Jesus wept

The stupidity levels are high this morning.. ;)

Apparently, a Team Sky rider won the Tour last year. This year, they might do it again. Oops, that word again. And again. Oh no....!
  • smidsy
    Ah well you see you changed the words again.

If a Team Sky rider wins again that is simply Team Sky winning again. This is acceptable.

As I said you can not use 'any' and 'again' in the same scentence. A fact that you clearly agree with, hence you changed the scentence. :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • slowbike
    Break it down a bit ...

if you said - "If any rider wins the Tour again .... " what do you think that means?

To me it means a repeated win ie the rider has won before.
    All that is different is that Gatorade have added a filter to who is considered for the repeat win ...

It could've said "If any rider on a green bike wins the Tour again ... " meaning that any rider, who has previously won the tour and is riding a green bike ...
  • Mdins
    Mdins Posts: 12
    Maybe I'm missing the grammatical point but I read the 'again' part to be referring to the collective noun of the 'team'. Suggesting that Wiggins winning last year= "the Sky Team' winning? So: " Team Sky ARE in with a good chance" compared to "Team Sky IS in with a good chance". Then again, I've only had 2 of my quota of 5 morning coffees and I'm flagging so I may be completely wrong.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Sounds an OK deal but Gatorade just reminds me of the film Idiocracy.

The race faster bundle from Evans is really good value and SIS do a similar deal that is not bad. I just dont like the taste of most Gatorade products.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited June 2013
    smidsy mate

Take a chill pill. Your argument is not standing up, despite how loud you proclaim it. It would not be much of a campaign if they only meant Wiggins, because it would have been nullified by his announcement of not riding. Where would that get them? "We'll, we have had this promotion and our sales figures have rocketed. Oh, Wiggins pulling out of the tour before it started, well unlucky you lose!" Not sure that would lead to growing your customer base in the UK...

On the other hand, if your argument is correct and they only mean Wiggins, where would their campaign get them if Froome, Porte or Stannard ( :lol: ) or ANY other Sky rider wins the tour and they then say, "we'll actually, we said any rider wins AGAIN, and the only rider that could have been is Bradley Wiggins, therefore nobody will be getting a refund"? I suspect they wouldn't want such negative publicity, they are not Michael O'Leary....

Oh, and do you think they have read this thread? Check the wording on this link

http://www.gatorade.co.uk/ifwewinyouwin

Points 8 and 12 in the terms and conditions seem most relevant along with the statement near the start stating " if a Team Sky rider wins the Tour"

PP
  • slowbike
    Mdins wrote:
    Then again, I've only had 2 of my quota of 5 morning coffees and I'm flagging so I may be completely wrong.
    I've had 1 tea and 3 coffees ... but then spelling & grammar aren't my speciality ... so I could be completely wrong too ;)
  • imposter2.0
    edited June 2013
    smidsy wrote:
    Ah well you see you changed the words again.

I copied/pasted the phrase direct from the link. No changes. I'm going to be kind and assume that you are deliberately misunderstanding the phrase in order to perpetuate an argument. In which case, there's no point in arguing with you.

On the other hand though, if you genuinely don't get it, then there's no point in arguing with you either - albeit for different reasons, if you get my meaning - which on the strength of the evidence here, you probably won't.
  • smidsy
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Points 8 and 12 in the terms and conditions seem most relevant along with the statement near the start stating " if a Team Sky rider wins the Tour"

PP

You see my argument stands up perfectly. Even Sky has changed the scentence. No 'any' or 'again' in there at all now.

You will all be pleased to know that I approve of this amended scentence. :P

My original point has long sice been of interest to me anyway.
    Yellow is the new Black.