Team Sky - 4 Brits take on the Tour.

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    aww no Bernie, is he ill out of form or just doesn't fit in the team because of G and Stannard being direct competition?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    jamie1012 wrote:
    Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain (the island) either, but it's still British (technically, not trying to be controversial there). The Isle of Man is, however, one of the British Isles, and the demonym for an inhabitant of any of the British Isles apart from the Republic of Ireland is "British". As you said yourself, it's a British Crown Dependency.

Kennaugh is Manx and British.

Someone from Isle of Man can be called British, but only by virtue of the Intrepretation Act 1978 which defines “British Islands” to mean the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. This legislation was enacted so as to ensure uniform and unambiguous interpretation of laws etc in the UK.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    No Knees either *insert weak pun*
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    FocusZing wrote:
    Team-Sky-Tour-de-France-line-up_2961381-1_zps7d0ce412.jpg

That's better.

Dear god, I need to stop procrastinating and finish this conference paper!

I bet they are all on catnip.

Did you check Kennaugh's tail to see if there is one or not?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Alan A wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Team-Sky-Tour-de-France-line-up_2961381-1_zps7d0ce412.jpg

That's better.

Dear god, I need to stop procrastinating and finish this conference paper!

I bet they are all on catnip.

Did you check Kennaugh's tail to see if there is one or not?

Chapeau.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    But Siutsou is a dog. Albeit a very small one.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    emadden wrote:
    jamie1012 wrote:
    Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain (the island) either, but it's still British (technically, not trying to be controversial there). The Isle of Man is, however, one of the British Isles, and the demonym for an inhabitant of any of the British Isles apart from the Republic of Ireland is "British". As you said yourself, it's a British Crown Dependency.

Kennaugh is Manx and British.

Someone from Isle of Man can be called British, but only by virtue of the Intrepretation Act 1978 which defines “British Islands” to mean the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. This legislation was enacted so as to ensure uniform and unambiguous interpretation of laws etc in the UK.
    People born on the IoM are called British because they are. They all have British citizenship.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • meggiedude
    meggiedude Posts: 257
    Any chance of using your skillz, ATC, and adding those hideous white Oakleys to Froome-cat?
    Had a little time on my hands
    9097506991_975162614b_b.jpg
    Can I upgrade???
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    meggiedude wrote:
    Any chance of using your skillz, ATC, and adding those hideous white Oakleys to Froome-cat?

Those guys shouldnt be allowed on the ProTour - the're only Cat 1's
  • vino2012
    vino2012 Posts: 114
    Who or what does Porte remind me of?

I know exactly what you mean, it's been bugging me for an age too and I can't quite put my finger on it.
    1333113321-RORY_vignette_Rory_3.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Just to turn this thread into a thread to rival the math marathon going on over on the Pre-Tour Waffle Thread, the whole 'British' not 'Britain' thing depends on how you define sovereignty, whether citizenship relates to territorial sovereignty, whether territorial sovereignty and juridico-legal sovereignty matches etc. etc. For most countries this is quite simple for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and all the hanger's on (Crown dependencies, Protectorates etc.) it is a whole heap more complicated. Throw in the EU and it gets even more complicated, technically the Isle of Man is not part of the EU for example.

God I am boring myself now.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    No that's not it.

It's something along the lines of a thunderbirds puppet or ventriloquists dummy...

Yes! It is a puppet of some kind!! OK this has got us further towards an answer, we will solve this mystery, by god we will! 8)
  • above_the_cows
    meggiedude wrote:

SUPERB!

Chapeau. :D
  • What an eclectic thread; offering both discussion around the legal definition of British-ness and pictures of the Sky Procycling team with cat's heads superimposed on them. Super.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    FocusZing wrote:
    Team-Sky-Tour-de-France-line-up_2961381.jpg

That's a seriously ugly team.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    FocusZing wrote:
    Team-Sky-Tour-de-France-line-up_2961381.jpg

Oi! ATC and I will be the judge of team loveliness, around these parts :wink:

The travesty of the omission of Bernie has seriously dented Sky's overall hopes of the Handsome Team Classification prize, but G, EBH and li'l Pete are all stage winners
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The travesty of the omission of Bernie has seriously dented Sky's overall hopes of the Handsome Team Classification prize, but G, EBH and li'l Pete are all stage winners

What you really wanted to say was that that Chris Froome chooses his mates well. Eh?

But what's with the EBH thing? I've worshipped down the Church of Man Love as much as any normal poster. EBH looks like a cold rice pudding where the skin has set in every pic I've seen of him.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    It really is an ugly team. Why do you think I added kittens and Bernie :wink:

As to this RR:
    Oi! ATC and I will be the judge of team loveliness, around these parts :wink:

Need I remind you of...! :shock:

A-16-year-old-William-Hag-010_zps22201525.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    May I just say I don't think it is a particularly ugly team, I think the mug-shots Sky use for their rider profiles make the riders look particularly bad (I mean what is going on with G with his thick neck and weird eyebrow thing he looks like a cross between a Fijian rugby player and a hobbit). Apart from Bernie they all look like a right bunch of muppets and even Bernie doesn't look his usual beautiful best.
  • Richmond Racer
    ATC, that hideous association with the blessed Edvald, of Wee Willy Hague as a foetus, is a diabolical act for which you've already been handed a yellow card

Maca, what can I say? Edvald has a huge female fan club. But then, who can ultimately judge such things? Most of you think Rigo Uran Uran was hit with the ugly stick, and yet again he's has a lot of laydee fans thanks to the Mick Jagger-lookie thing he has going on
  • above_the_cows
    ^All I can say is there is no accounting for taste.
  • Richmond Racer
    ^All I can say is there is no accounting for taste.

Fight! Fight!

:lol:
  • upstart
    upstart Posts: 18
    16a7amv.jpg
    Porte ?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    sid-toy-story.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    sid-toy-story.jpg
    OMG I think that may be it TWH!

Alternatively it could be the loveable Boy Scout Russell
    uprussell_zps65b6a9e7.jpg

But I think you cracked it with Toy Story's very own Sid Philips.

Sid-1_zps71c1267c.jpg

Uncanny no?
  • Richmond Racer
    winner winner chicken dinner
  • above_the_cows
    I feel mightily relieved to have sorted that out. I can finally concentrate on some work now.
  • above_the_cows
    Who knew Richie Porte was Flanders Field Boy?

Belgiumboys_zps2a25fcfd.png

SidToyStory-4Field_zps8b14ae8d.jpg
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    vino2012 wrote:
    Who or what does Porte remind me of?

I know exactly what you mean, it's been bugging me for an age too and I can't quite put my finger on it.
    1333113321-RORY_vignette_Rory_3.jpg
    Rory Mcllroy?
    Half man, Half bike
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    The Isle of Man no longer British then?

Technically no, its a British Crown Dependency and not actually part of either Great Britain or the United Kingdom. It does fall under the sovereignty of Queen Elizabeth II and so that complicates matters but ultimately who cares.*

I think another kitten just died.

*Apologies to any hardcore Manx nationalists out there.

The government of the UK is ultimately responsible for it's good governance (ie we can tell it how to behave), also it relies on our army, it mentions Britain on it's passport...c'mon it's British
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'