Cookson doing a Twitter Q&A

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited June 2013 in Pro race
Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci 45s
Tomorrow I will be answering questions via a Twitter Q&A and hearing your ideas for a bright future for cycling! Starts at 4pm (UK time)

Might be worth adding Kimmage back onto the follow list....
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Larry's looking forward to it apparently...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Sanctimonious BS shields set to max, and preparing for some entertaining playing the mannery not the ballery.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So anyone got a question they're going to ask?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    How about "If you're elected would you sack Verbruggen ?" for a start
  • iainf72
    I'd ask

- Given you have a finite budget, how are you planning on changing the spending model to improve cycling

- How will you make cycling more appealing to sponsors

- How will you manage your global organisations goals while continually being harassed by a small vocal group of English speakers who have a much narrower focus than you

- Would transparency extend to providing itemised bills for doping prosecutions?

- You've been on the management cmtee for a number of years. How much have you challenged or changed in that tenure?

- Would you consider shaving your beard off? Beards have no place in modern cycling
  • Macaloon
    I'm at an exorcism retreat at the moment so can't attend. I would only add to Iain's list:

- Which of PMQ's recent initiatives were based on advice proffered by the Twitter persona UCI_Overlord?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    @cooksonforuci Quick question. What is 14 x 16?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:
    @cooksonforuci Quick question. What is 14 x 16?

You are on fire today Rich :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • tailwindhome
    TailWindHome ‏@TailWIndHome now
    @cooksonforuci At what point did you stop being "100% supportive of Pat McQuaid"? #askbrian
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 14m
    Question for @cooksonforuci - any plans to convene a Truth and Rec Commission to FULLY understand the mistakes of previous generations?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • tailwindhome
    Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 5m
    @cooksonforuci There were three plaintiffs (PMCQ, HB and UCI) on the legal suit I was served: Were you party to this decision? #askbrian
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 14m
    Question for @cooksonforuci - any plans to convene a Truth and Rec Commission to FULLY understand the mistakes of previous generations?
    Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci 57s
    .@lancearmstrong See my reply to @CrisTT Also would support a full truth and rec process if legal and practical hurdles can be overcome

Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci 17m
    .@CrisTT I would prioritise the allegations which implicate the UCI in cover-ups. Must be investigated independently and quickly.
    View conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More

cris towner ‏@CrisTT 39m
    @cooksonforuci #askbrian what is your stance on need & timescales for a Truth and Reconciliation approach?
    Retweeted by Brian Cookson OBE
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Sorry, but I like this one:

James
    @JamesRobertsss
    @cooksonforuci Brian, I've seen you two years running queuing for a hire car at Palma. Does this gig come with a limo? #askbrian

Brian Cookson OBE @cooksonforuci 13s
    .@JamesRobertsss Not too bothered about the limo. Still riding my bike everyday, intend to continue, including in Majorca if possible!
  • tailwindhome
    Kimberley Ramplin ‏@Kimbo_Ramplin 1m
    The 'Life of Brian' offers more answers than @cooksonforuci #askbrian #notthemessiah
  • Richmond Racer
    Seriously, what the hell do people expect? A serious heart-to-heart with every single person out in gobshite Twitter land, over the course of 50 mins, and using 140 characters for responses? :roll:

So...um....where's Pat been all this time when it comes to either using social media, or putting himeself in a position to have questions put to him in a public domain by non-media people (and then on very rare occasions such as the World Champs media call)?

Sometimes I really think this sport gets the fans it deserves
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    - How will you manage your global organisations goals while continually being harassed by a small vocal group of English speakers who have a much narrower focus than you
    And that was perfectly illustrated there. According to twitter the most import issue in cycling today is Paul Kimmage.

You can't win with these Q&A's. You get 200 questions and only time to answer a dozen or so. The rest all think you're ducking the questions becuase you didn't address their narrow interests.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    Seriously, what the hell do people expect? A serious heart-to-heart with every single person out in gobshite Twitter land, over the course of 50 mins, and using 140 characters for responses? :roll:

So...um....where's Pat been all this time when it comes to either using social media, or putting himeself in a position to have questions put to him in a public domain by non-media people (and then on very rare occasions such as the World Champs media call)?

Sometimes I really think this sport gets the fans it deserves

It was exactly what I expected. Responses to stupid questions about gearing and taxis and a bland answer to Armstrong. Kimmage's question only required either 2 or 3 characters out of his 140 to answer.
  • tailwindhome
    Who is Journal Velo?
  • Richmond Racer
    It wasnt designed to win over all of the Twittersphere but to make him come across as approachable (hence the couple of 'casual' questions he answered re car and compact) and open to social media. Unlike not just Pat but also unlike the majority of international sports governing heads.

For those who are interested, Journal Velo's captured all the q and a's and posted on this page:

http://journalvelo.com/
  • Richmond Racer
    And TWH: Cookson couldnt answer that Kimmage question re lawsuit. Think about it for a moment.
  • tailwindhome
    And TWH: Cookson couldnt answer that Kimmage question re lawsuit. Think about it for a moment.

Why do you think he couldn't answer?

If I was his PR man I'd be telling him to ignore any question Tweeted by Kimmage. There's nothing to be gained by engaging with a nutter....
  • Richmond Racer

Why do you think he couldn't answer?

If I was his PR man I'd be telling him to ignore any question Tweeted by Kimmage. There's nothing to be gained by engaging with a nutter....

All wrapped up in Legal, innit. He'd be mad to say anything, as it would be used as him speaking in the capacity of the UCI, one of the plaintiffs, not as Brian Cookson. I'll put a tenner on him withdrawing the lawsuit, if elected. But to say anything now on Twatter in response to that question...no....
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    So Cookson has now provided a response (of sorts) to Kimmage's questions...

http://briancookson.org/en/blog/
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    nic_77 wrote:

An eminently reasonable response.
  • iainf72
    nic_77 wrote:

I don't know why he bothered.

I find it ironic that Kimmage is getting the same kind of beatification that so outraged his supporters when it was given to Armstrong
  • Macaloon
    iainf72 wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

I don't know why he bothered.

I find it ironic that Kimmage is getting the same kind of beatification that so outraged his supporters when it was given to Armstrong

Sanctifymas are terrified about toning down the adoration. St Paul may point some of his investigative agents towards what really happened with his defence fund dough, and why his reputation was allowed to be hijacked by a known fraud. With 'Good Areas' (journalist Shane Stoeks) leading the Inquisition, it's hard for non-believers to raises a decent lynch mob.
  • Richmond Racer
    Cookson's manifesto, launched today

http://www.briancookson.org/files/9313/ ... sh_COL.pdf
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Does Pat have a manifesto...?

OK. I appreciate it's a political declaration of intent, but I for one would buy into Cookson's pledges. They pretty much represent the priorities I personally defined when competing the recent UCI stakeholder questionnaire. Dare I go so far as to offer a tentative 'chapeau'?
  • Richmond Racer
    nic_77 wrote:
    Does Pat have a manifesto...?

OK. I appreciate it's a political declaration of intent, but I for one would buy into Cookson's pledges. They pretty much represent the priorities I personally defined when competing the recent UCI stakeholder questionnaire. Dare I go so far as to offer a tentative 'chapeau'?

Pat's manifesto is written on the back of a beer mat and it reads 'why the fook are you asking'
  • iainf72
    Cookson just seems to be offering the hordes what they've asked for.

I like the way the pictures don't have any mountain bike or CX stuff in 'em. It's like it doesn't exist.