It's a small World...

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited June 2013 in Pro race
I've just been to seen a colleague on a team I support internally and she introduced me to a new team member. Jonathan Froome, Chris's older brother. They look very similar.

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    did he keep looking down at his monitor?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Yes. He didn't appear to be breathing through his mouth either. I shall check for gills the next time I am over that way...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Make sure you get to know him well MR and then you can ask him the difficult questions.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • epo rocks!
    epo rocks! Posts: 12
    Has he got a bird on Twitter who slags off Wiggos Mrs? :D
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    That Mad Rapper was once leading the fight against doping with his probing posts and cynical views. Now he's just another wretched Sky fanboy in bed with the enemy. No credibility. It's like Walsh all over again.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The treasurer of my hockey club is friends with him - they went to Rugby School together.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    This is like cycling's equivalent of six degrees of Kevin Bacon

Right. Does anyone here NOT know someone who's meet Froome-bro?
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    RichN95 wrote:
    The treasurer of my hockey club is friends with him - they went to Rugby School together.
    Upper middle class problem.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Right, the article in ProCycling I read today suggested that C Froome lived with just his mum in Kenya and they were skint, yet his brother went to Rugby...
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    Right, the article in ProCycling I read today suggested that C Froome lived with just his mum in Kenya and they were skint, yet his brother went to Rugby...

I thought that was more than bit wrong too. Froome Jr went to one of South Africa's most exclusive schools. Here's a picture of it. Not exactly the local comp.

800px-Northern_facade.GIF
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I thought that was more than bit wrong too. Froome Jr went to one of South Africa's most exclusive schools. Here's a picture of it. Not exactly the local comp.

Yeah, that looks more like an academy to me :P
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Mad Rapper's in a sky car at next year's Tour, if he finds & plays his fanboi cards right.
  • Richmond Racer
    Mad Rapper's in a sky car at next year's Tour, if he finds & plays his fanboi cards right.

Just in case, Rapper might want to buy one of those Rapha Sky supporters flags now to secure it at this year's price, and before it increases by the standard Rapha 20%
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

Indeed. It's in a pretty expensive part of JHB as well.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Ok, so maybe it's a class war thing, but I'll always prefer Wiggins.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Haha PR fluff merchants been doing their stuff?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    so is Johnny Froome any good or is he the new Joel Cantona?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Oh boy. It's the Coe vs Ovett syndrome after all.....
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    FJS wrote:

Only one of these riders is likely to be ennobled by The Conservative party and become the personal trainer of a former leader and current Foreign Secretary.

I wish the other one would get treatment for his paranoia, and lock in sporting immortality by riding like a weapon rather than a tool.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Only one of these riders is likely to be ennobled by The Conservative party and become the personal trainer of a former leader and current Foreign Secretary.

I wish the other one would get treatment for his paranoia, and lock in sporting immortality by riding like a weapon rather than a tool.

Yes, well, thank you for that helpful and educated advice (speaking on the 'paranoid' one's behalf). After being told that as the maillot jaune holder I wouldnt be allowed to ride in the 100th Tour as even a protected rider - never mind the leadership thing, he wasnt even going to be afforded protected rider status - I think I'd go into retreat for a while.

Think Evans would have accepted that? Or Valverde? Or Contador?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Yes, well, thank you for that helpful and educated advice (speaking on the 'paranoid' one's behalf). After being told that as the maillot jaune holder I wouldnt be allowed to ride in the 100th Tour as even a protected rider - never mind the leadership thing, he wasnt even going to be afforded protected rider status - I think I'd go into retreat for a while.

Think Evans would have accepted that? Or Valverde? Or Contador?

But who knows how broken the relationships were at this point. As a long-term beneficiary of the BC obsession with numbers over reputations [Kenny vs Hoy?] it seems a little rich for Wiggo to reaffirm anything other than full support for a guy obviously more suited to this challenge than him, on this occasion.

Or Wiggo could have honourably used metal fatigue as an excuse for his ring-rust after a celestial 2012. Or the team could have done a better job of protecting/supporting him. Sky are supposed to be better at this stuff than BMC, Movistar and Taxo Sinkoff.
  • Macaloon
    St Christopher Froome gives irascible Sir Bradley Wiggins a good briefing prior to the epochal Alpe Duet stage in the 2013 Tour.

Tim-McInnerny-left-and-Ro-007.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    Hop over to the Wiggo thread, Maca, and we can hammer it out there...otherwise we'll derail this thread on Fenton's sibling, his education and whether he's Coe to Wiggo's Ovett (which is an excellent and apposite analogy)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Macaloon wrote:

That is outstanding wordsmithery sir!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Can I just say I don't think it is as clear cut as Coe 'v' Ovett when you throw in the 'African' element. Now I know Fenton was hardly living an oppressed life in a township but the world is not 'black and white' if you'll pardon the crude simplification of post-colonial relations. Froome did not have access to certain structural privileges that were afforded to Wiggins through their respective geographical locations. It's what we academic-wanquers would would call 'intersectionality'. :wink:

Anyway I'll leave it there, I've got a conference paper to write by tomorrow.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Can I just say I don't think it is as clear cut as Coe 'v' Ovett when you throw in the 'African' element. Now I know Fenton was hardly living an oppressed life in a township but the world is not 'black and white' if you'll pardon the crude simplification of post-colonial relations. Froome did not have access to certain structural privileges that were afforded to Wiggins through their respective geographical locations. It's what we academic-wanquers would would call 'intersectionality'. :wink:

Anyway I'll leave it there, I've got a conference paper to write by tomorrow.

I think what you are saying is that Froome may not have had a bike shop at the end of his street. 8)
  • Macaloon
    :roll: A well known low-blow in academic spirals, that is: dropping the 'intersectionality' bomb then playing the conference paper get out of jail card.
  • frenchfighter
    So is this guy really his brother? And was he really privileged and Froome was not? I`m confused?

Or maybe his brother is a lot younger and Froome used some of his nice salary from Sky to pay for a good education for his brother? That would be nice.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    So is this guy really his brother? And was he really privileged and Froome was not? I`m confused?

Or maybe his brother is a lot younger and Froome used some of his nice salary from Sky to pay for a good education for his brother? That would be nice.
    His brother (I think he has two) is about ten years older.
  • frenchfighter
    Why the supposed difference in education? Or was Froome actually also schooled in similar luxury with an easy life?

Contador`s family on the other hand was so poor that they couldn`t even afford to buy him a bike.

Glad I am long the Froome/Contador spread.
    Contador is the Greatest