New gt force

gt5xcr
gt5xcr Posts: 77
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Hi , so what do you think of the new gt force? (I would put up a link but don't know how.) Me thinks this will replace my i- drive 5.

Gt5xcr :D
GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks heavy, and why all the new pivots! Is more like the mongoose freedrive system now.
  • gt5xcr
    No mention of weight on gt's site that I can see but if I designed a frame I would want it to look like this and my i-drive isn't super light so I'd be used to a bike of similar weight.

Gt5xcr

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
  • Looks fuuukin goooorgeous though!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    gt5xcr wrote:
    Me thinks this will replace my i- drive 5.
    Then your username would make no sense.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    supersonic wrote:
    Looks heavy, and why all the new pivots! Is more like the mongoose freedrive system now.

This.
    My first real mountain bike was a GT XCR6000 (I think, pretty bottom end one, cheap from Pauls Cycles). I loved it, but as it was my first, I had no idea if it was actually any good or not. A few bikes later I had a Teocali and though many love it, I got shot after 6 months. I simply hated the way the suss felt. I keep looking at the new GTs thinking they look bang on, but can't shake the fear that they will ride too similarly to the Mongoose. Past experience means puts me off, but I'd love to test one and see if their suss feel has changed.
  • supersonic
    "Less complicated, simpler system" people are saying.

image0091.jpg

Yeah, right.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    GT seem to like making heavy FS frames, the 2003 i-drive comp frame I had wasn't far off the weight of a Carrera Banshee frame despite being 100mm v 150mm travel and being marketed as an XC bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    The old ones with the eccentric bearing was heavy, then the new flex bone models dropped the weight a bit. Then they repalced them with the dog bone, and it went back up, now we have this. MY IDXC4 was pretty light actually, but only had 100mm of travel.

The new 150mm Force AOS carbon is claimed to weigh 6.3lbs with shock. Not bad, but far from class leading.

I don't really get the DH frame either - it has the lowest pivot and most vertical path of all the models, and optimised more for pedalling. Obviously has worked lol, but is odd how the shorter travel models have much more pronounced rearward paths.

I think the flexbone model is still the most elegant of the lot:

p5pb9241527.jpg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Seen a LOT of the "flexbone" ones broken though!
  • supersonic
    They do sadly, hoping mine lasts, just building it now!
  • Gibbo GTI
    Gibbo GTI Posts: 98
    I'm giving serious thought to buying one as a big brother to the one I already have :)
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    They're not exactly what I'd call pretty, and they are heavy, the Force is a pound heavier than a Bronson or Norco's upcoming carbon sight Killer B. Plus who the hell fits a triple to an enduro bike, seems like a very odd choice!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    Plus who the hell fits a triple to an enduro bike, seems like a very odd choice!
    People who ride up effing big mountains. Like Dan Atherton!
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    Plus who the hell fits a triple to an enduro bike, seems like a very odd choice!

Yeah, I see what you mean... Dan likes the new bike so much he's still riding and racing the 26" prototype because he prefers it. And I have never, ever seen a triple on any bike used by an Enduro racer.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Yeah, I see what you mean... Dan likes the new bike so much he's still riding and racing the 26" prototype because he prefers it. And I have never, ever seen a triple on any bike used by an Enduro racer.
    What are you talking about? Have we got crossed wires here?
    He rides a 650B force, and races enduro.
    He also rides up epic mountains like Cadair Idirs for training.
    I don't think anyone's getting up there without a granny.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Doubt he uses that outer ring.
  • supersonic
    The outer is there beause a large part of the Euro market demanded it. If you don't like it, remove it and fit a bash, if that is not too taxing.
  • bennett_346
    I don't mind triples, i just doubt dan atherton races with one. It's Lawman who is fundanmentally against them since they're technology that came out more than two years ago :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

What are you talking about? Have we got crossed wires here?
    He rides a 650B force, and races enduro.
    He also rides up epic mountains like Cadair Idirs for training.
    I don't think anyone's getting up there without a granny.

Here's said video of Cadair Idris - http://www.chopmtb.com/2012/06/22/video ... -in-wales/

MBK277.lb_athertons_js.atherton81.jpg

I see no triple in that photo, pretty sure its a single chainring on an xtr crank.

And here is said prototype he uses for racing, again no triple, but the latest ones are 650b...

p5pb9596183.jpg

So he either walks said epic mountains, or he gets up without a granny ring.

Sonic, you then end up with poor ratios and will have to change the rings.
  • bennett_346
    By the way, Dan Atherton still races a 26 inch bike on the racing circuit...
  • supersonic
    Sonic, you then end up with poor ratios and will have to change the rings.

Not always, it depends on what you like. No matter what they fit OE, it is not going to suit everyone. Luckily the front is not too expensive to change about. I'm running 32/22 on my XCR5.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oh, ok. What's your point though?
    (and as for "said video", I never mentioned a video)
  • lawman
    My point was that compared to the opposition, it's not as well specced and some of the kit choices seem rather odd given the intentions of the bike. A single or even at a push a double is much more fitting for the market the bike is trying to aim towards. IMO it's just another bike trying to be one thing but the kit choices say its something else entirely. The chain set choice is just one thing I'm abit confused on. Given Dan has said he prefers slacker geometries and they effectively have Gee and Rach free reign on the new fury, I'm very surprised GT has pushed the force as an out and out enduro race bike with slacker geometry and a drivetrain fitting of its intentions
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    gt5xcr wrote:
    No mention of weight on gt's site that I can see but if I designed a frame I would want it to look like this and my i-drive isn't super light so I'd be used to a bike of similar weight.

Gt5xcr

Claimed weights here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ook-37683/
  • supersonic
    The Force is marketed as an All Mountain bike, and GT's research showed that the majority of the market preferred a triple. Shimano after market sales of triples have increased recently as many people are ditching single and double set ups for them.

But as above, with a bike aimed at 'AM', its all round nature makes it adaptable for many things, fitting your own chainset for example, racing Enduro, plodding round a trail centre etc etc. I would however have liked to see a TALAS or DP fork on to further that.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    obviously I love it, and I spose to deal with Lawmans question, its easier to take away than to add chainrings
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • gt5xcr
    So, after working so much and now being able to get back to this thread I started , it's fascinating to read your comments and learn about the weight of this bike and my i-drive 5 xcr is heavier, and this force is beautiful . The suspension including the path link does look complicated Supersonic, but just like the i-drive I guess once stripped to service to remove the dreaded creaks it won' t be complicated at all if you know what I mean.

I did expect GT to have a new name for this bike after all the ballyhoo though, gt's website release date18th June watch this space thing.

Sorry about all the comma's or bad gramma.

Gt5xcr :wink:

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    There a cool video explaining a bit more about the suspension and design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZhSLXAUtRI
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    gt5xcr wrote:

The Idrive frame's built like an icebreaker... I really liked how mine rode in some ways mind but the frame weighed a hair under 8lbs. If it'd been 2 lbs lighter and, oh, at least 4 degrees slacker I might still have it :lol:

New one looks interesting, would like a go. But it does seem a bit flipfloppy, not committed to any one thing, still looks a little steep and tall.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • gt5xcr
    Halfords had thier xcr version of the i-drive 5,shame they don't have gt's anymore as maybe they would have had the sensor or force frame and done what they did with the xcr for a grand?.

An icebreaker? Yea, definitely sums up my i-drive.can't wait to try the force. :wink: