Hill from Edale, Derbyshire

hammersteve
hammersteve Posts: 29
Hi, i hope you can help. I am going out Edale way with a few friends this weekend. There is a hill that i have driven up / down many times which i want to have a go at. As you come out of the lane that goes down to Edale you turn right. Flat for about a mile then bends round to the left and climbs up steeply for a bout a mile from the valley floor and comes out near the top end of the Winnets pass. Does anyone have any idea what this hill is called please? Thanks

Comments

• jet26
    jet26 Posts: 49
    Think you mean mam nick. May be wrong though.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    jet26 wrote:
    Think you mean mam nick. May be wrong though.

It is, without doubt, mam nick. Great tough climb, very few cars use it and can be combined with a visit to woodbine caff at hope after you have dropped back down winnats and along to Hope. Exactly what I did on Sunday :)
  • Thanks a lot, going to give it a go on Saturday. Might be biting off more than I can chew!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Thanks a lot, going to give it a go on Saturday. Might be biting off more than I can chew!

It is the Mam Nick... a beautiful climb and a seriously tough one with gradients up to 18%... you can make it into a loop descending into Castleton, if you fancy going down the Winnats pass... well better down than up for sure
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    One of my very favorite climbs. My playground in my youth. It is a tough climb, but does get some decent views back into the valley etc.

I'd move back in a heartbeat just to be able to tackle climbs like that again.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    marcusjb wrote:
    One of my very favorite climbs. My playground in my youth. It is a tough climb, but does get some decent views back into the valley etc.

I'd move back in a heartbeat just to be able to tackle climbs like that again.

And don't forget it is a geographical "col", so counts if you want to enter the "club des cent cols"
    left the forum March 2023
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    It's where I will be riding on friday, nice to have these on your doorstep :-)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Fantastic climb ! Back in the day, we used to do it at the end of a ride following a descent of Jacobs Ladder (on MTBs of course !)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved