Greg Mansell training

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
Hi,

I've been catching up on my backlog of Tour Series race highlights from ITV4... and Nigel Mansell was interviewed on one of them during the race and he mentioned his son Greg only took up cycling 3 years ago.... :shock:

So, I could be wrong but Greg Mansell has gone from nothing to pro in 3 years....

Anyone got any idea what sort of training Greg would have done to do something like this in so little time?
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    We have no idea what athletic activity he may have done before he started cycling. Could already be very highly trained. Also could have superior genes.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • He used to drive formula Renault cars so maybe did a bit of extra cycling to keep fit, bit like Jensen button does triathlons
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    I assume by "pro" you mean someone who earns a living from riding a bike. There are numerous riders in British UCI Continental teams who get paid very little. if at all. They ride full time and accept a hand to mouth existence in return for the buzz of riding in these teams. Indeed, there is no compulsion to pay everyone in your team.

"A continental or women's team will comprise riders who may or may not be professional"

Are you sure he is a "pro" or given he doesn't have any results of significance and his father funds the team, does he just ride for them? Your assumption that he has achieved a high level of performance in a short time, in order to justify a pro contract, is probably flawed.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    According to the BC rankings, Mansell is a 2nd cat and (at the time of writing) is still around 100 points away from gaining 1st cat and another 300 points off 'elite' status. In other words, his rise is not as 'meteoric' as it might first appear. Still a good rider though, but don't be dazzled by the 'pro' tag...
  • buckles
    Is he a proper road 2nd cat or a weekday evening crit 2nd cat?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • imposter2.0
    Buckles wrote:
    Is he a proper road 2nd cat or a weekday evening crit 2nd cat?

you will have to look at the rankings and decide for yourself.. ;)
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    You'll have to ask his personal coach .... a guy called Magnus Backstedt.
  • imposter2.0
    izza wrote:
    You'll have to ask his personal coach .... a guy called Magnus Backstedt.

no need to ask Magnus - just look at the rankings.
  • buckles
    weekend crit 2nd cat ;)
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    I didnt know he was only a cat 2 rider, I guess having dad owning the team he got some guest appearances then with the big boys... :)
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • imposter2.0
    I've never seen him ride but he is clearly capable of winning races and there's no reason to suspect that he is not perfectly capable of hanging with a tour series event - I know a couple of 2nd cats that already do that. And points do not always tell the full story.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Gav888 wrote:
    Hi,

I've been catching up on my backlog of Tour Series race highlights from ITV4... and Nigel Mansell was interviewed on one of them during the race and he mentioned his son Greg only took up cycling 3 years ago.... :shock:

So, I could be wrong but Greg Mansell has gone from nothing to pro in 3 years....

Anyone got any idea what sort of training Greg would have done to do something like this in so little time?

The fact his old man runs the team may help. To give you a hint I saw UK youth drilling it up a hill in Majorca, I saw Greg some up about a minute later ;)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I suspect that the fact that his old man owns the team makes no difference whatsoever. Given what a hard bastard Mansell Snr is I suspect that it means that Greg has to prove himself time and again rather than having it handed to him. Someone as successful as Mansell Snr doesn't suffer under achievement anywhere so if Greg doesn't cut it (I'd imagine the targets have all been defined for him) he'll be out.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • buckles
    Good speculation there. Anyone can suspect or imagine, but what are the facts?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    He may soon become a good 1st Cat or even Elite, but for now he's a 2nd Cat and I doubt he'd be riding for UK Youth if pa wasn't involved.
    More problems but still living....
  • Buckles wrote:
    Good speculation there. Anyone can suspect or imagine, but what are the facts?

His dad owns the team and he's in.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    I suspect that the fact that his old man owns the team makes no difference whatsoever. Given what a hard bastard Mansell Snr is I suspect that it means that Greg has to prove himself time and again rather than having it handed to him. Someone as successful as Mansell Snr doesn't suffer under achievement anywhere so if Greg doesn't cut it (I'd imagine the targets have all been defined for him) he'll be out.

UKYouth started off with a lot of 1st and 2nd cat riders with Maggy and the fellow swedes being the headline act. Look at the team now, its full of Elite riders and Maggy jumped ship.

Also in previous years local amateur races were dominated by the UKY train to help their lower cat riders mop up points
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    amaferanga wrote:
    He may soon become a good 1st Cat or even Elite, but for now he's a 2nd Cat and I doubt he'd be riding for UK Youth if pa wasn't involved.

This may be influenced by how the team choose to use him. If they put him in the bigger races, then as a weaker team member he will work for their potential winners and invariably pick up no ranking points. Moving up the categories will be very difficult. He will however, learn more than riding in a load of chippers where he will pick up ranking points and move through the categories far quicker.
  • buckles
    Good point.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Gav888 wrote:

He would have almost certainly been riding a lot longer than that and would also have been 'of that ilk' so to speak. He used to drive fast cars and the level of fitness required for that is high.

He obvioulsy would have had to apply himself to the task and shown lots of dedication and committment to imrproving.

It is likely he had a trainer/coach putting him through a structured programme and diet.

Plus "hey Dad I fancy riding bicycles for a while, can you put a load of your cash into a race team please and use your status to open some doors". :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Anyone got a picture of him riding a bike with Lightweight crabon wheels?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    smidsy wrote:
    Gav888 wrote:

He would have almost certainly been riding a lot longer than that and would also have been 'of that ilk' so to speak. He used to drive fast cars and the level of fitness required for that is high.

He obvioulsy would have had to apply himself to the task and shown lots of dedication and committment to imrproving.

It is likely he had a trainer/coach putting him through a structured programme and diet.

Plus "hey Dad I fancy riding bicycles for a while, can you put a load of your cash into a race team please and use your status to open some doors". :lol:

There are people that have got to his level certainly in that time and less. One of the young rapha riders has only been riding a year or two.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • TONY.M
    TONY.M Posts: 94
    Gav888 wrote:
    Hi,

I do not know anything of Greg Mansell but is not unusual for genetically talented individuals to progress quickly. Performance differences within elite cyclists is more a result of varying genetic ability between individuals than training regime.

Often the genetically elite look down their noses at those not of their ability and strongly feel that they are working so much harder than the pack fodder. :lol: Seriously though as genetic testing becomes more common and understanding of how it relates to performance becomes deeper this will become more accepted.

Tony