I blame wiggle

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited June 2013 in Pro race
Really feel for hannah barnes -just shows how you can be treated when you're not the medias darling
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Hmmm. Someone's screwed up big time here. This is biting the Face Partnership outfit in the ar%e.

But no go hating on Trotty now - not her fault
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Yeah, Trotty is probably pretty embarrassed about all this, but nothing she can do about it.

Joke of a decision.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    She seems to have bounced back remarkably well...

http://www.tourseries.co.uk/news/4725.php#.UbolI_lkykM
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Bit strange, forgotten his name but the guy who won the milk race took his hands off the bars to celebrate whilst in the bunch too and they didn't seem to care.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Yeah, Trotty is probably pretty embarrassed about all this
    Why do you think that? Her podium manner didn’t suggest it.

I’m with Cleat about it.
    just shows how you can be treated when you're not the medias darling
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    I guess that is the problem with criteriums. Either the result is fixed by the riders, or in this case, fixed by the organisers.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    knedlicky wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:

She would have been none the wiser on the podium. If you read the article it wasn't until a day or 2 after the event that everyone was informed of the comms decision.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    More like five days, only announced to the riders/teams themselves yesterday, probably after the TV footage was edited/reviewed. Qn is, was the DQ on the night or was it only applied retroactively days later once it was clear that TV footage showed Barnes won, either to cover up their mistake or for more sinister reasons?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Bit strange, forgotten his name but the guy who won the milk race took his hands off the bars to celebrate whilst in the bunch too and they didn't seem to care.

Seem to remember a 7 Eleven rider being disqualified from a stage in the Milk Race a few years back.

And maybe this guy needs to be a DQ as well! :wink:

article-2177249-142B3AAF000005DC-28_634x445.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Not to mention the whole team should be DQd on those stages where they all celebrate one of their other riders winning!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Alan A wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:
    She would have been none the wiser on the podium. If you read the article it wasn't until a day or 2 after the event that everyone was informed of the comms decision.
    I know the official demotion of Barnes came out later, but riders themselves nearly always know who actually won even in tight finishes. Just like Barnes felt she'd won (so raised her arms), I think Trott would have known that she hadn't won. So when Trott was given first place that evening, she should have felt surprised and puzzled and embarrassed.

Here's a film of the race finish http://mpora.com/videos/AAdi0ymlx3op
    Barnes was certainly in front just before the finish, unfortunately someone's hair then part-obscures them crossing the line. You also see how briefly Barnes raises her arms.

Picture taken from film
    9041513510_062815d36d_o.jpg
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    And maybe this guy needs to be a DQ as well! :wink:

he has been demoted by one place

in Sky's list of priorities :wink:
  • trekker12
    trekker12 Posts: 99
    Paul 8v wrote:

I think you are referring to Robert Millar's team mate (can't recall his name). I believe Millar did it deliberately the day after to point out how silly the rule was - there's reference to it in the book 'Searching for Robert Millar'. Didn't know it was still applied 20 years later!
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • Paul 8v
    Oh i didn't know that I meant the one that was on the other night!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    http://www.londonnocturne.com/latestnews_130913.php

TOTAL JOKE. I agree - if you're not a media darling then you're out of luck. This is like a post-Tour crit, it's a post-Olympic crit. Maybe every crit for the next 2-3 years will also be a post-Olympic crit hence open to any kind of politically motivated manipulation.

Wonder what's going to happen to poor Scully. He's a bloody foreigner taking out jobs as well. Ship him back and promote Dowsett to first! Or Wiggo. Doesn't matter Bradders didn't ride...Rapha's calling the shots now and they know what sells black t-shirts.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Cycling's most prolific winner has voiced his disproval on twitter

Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 7m
    Reading about @bannahharnes getting demoted to 2nd in that #IGNocturne race. Is it true it was for celebrating the win?! Disgraceful if so.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Alan A wrote:
    Cycling's most prolific winner has voiced his disproval on twitter

Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 7m
    Reading about @bannahharnes getting demoted to 2nd in that #IGNocturne race. Is it true it was for celebrating the win?! Disgraceful if so.

Tom Boonen has learnt to keep his arms down at the finish in the Schelderprijs when Cav is around...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Is it time to turn against Trott now?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Turfle wrote:
    Is it time to turn against Trott now?

I really feel sorry for Trott, it must be really embarrassing for her and it may be that she is unfairly criticised over something that isn't really her fault.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Paul 8v
    No, I don't think so, not Trott's fault. Basically the cocked up and then once they had realised their error made up a bit of BS to save some face.

I saw Barnes at Colchester the other week, great rider. Seems a shame to get some televised coverage of a women's race and then have all this shambles going on...
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Bunch of idiots really! I was there and even though I was about 50 metres away, I was surprised when the commentator announced Laura Trott won? I think they just really wanted an olympic high profile winner.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    This statement from FACE Partnership makes little sense;

"On examining photofinish, race officials determined that the actual finishing order was reversed."

What exactly do they mean by "actual finishing order". Is it the official result with Trott finishing ahead of Barnes or the result as it actually happened on the road with Hannah Barnes winning?

It is not Laura Trott's fault but it appears the race organiser was caught out after making a dodgy decision and then proceeded to cover their behinds with a relegation ruling that probably can't be appealed. Did the commissaire make the decision on the night and inform Hannah Barnes of the ruling, as is claimed?

DD.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Lets face it, its not Laura's fault at all. Race officials have a history of strange decisions. They are only carrying on a lineage of oddity.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Bunch of idiots really! I was there and even though I was about 50 metres away, I was surprised when the commentator announced Laura Trott won? I think they just really wanted an olympic high profile winner.

trying to remember how it finished, as we were on the pits side to the start/finish line so had no view of the finish at all so didnt see how the drama unfolded, but I didnt think it took that long to announce the result, it didnt feel like an undue amount of time waiting for the result.

and the way the Wigglettes formed up behind the camera bike on their warming down lap back to the pits, I think we all made the assumption probably Laura had won as even though she didnt look that chuffed, she was acknowledging the crowd. but equally when Hannah came round and she had dropped a way back off the Wiggle group by then, she didnt look like someone who thought they had just won or had a win taken away, and no-one was going upto her saying well done or bad luck or anything.

also thought Laura was interviewed as the winner pretty quickly after the race finished, I mean the Nocturne series had tweeted the result (of course thats not an official result, but they didnt tweet we think Hannah won, then changed their minds after 10mins and they must have had a view or info to call it), within minutes of the race finishing, and Wiggle were already having the team celebration photo, with a much smilier looking Laura within 5mins of the end of the race, by 10mins they were already doing tv interviews about it !!!

be interesting to see how its covered by C4. there was certainly no mention of relegating Hannah back to 2nd on the night for anything, and why the BC commissaires saw fit not to tell anyone about it for a few days seems odd. though of course given how many pro & amateur camera types and mobile phones there were about, cant believe the only photo weve got is a blurry video screencap :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    This is what happens when criteriums aren't fixed.

(Yes, I know it should probably be 'criteria' but that just sounds wanky)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    awavey wrote:
    Stuff

Suspect it was more a case of two people, neither of whom know much about cycling thinking "Yeah, Trott's gonna win isn't she!"
    "Who that essex bird off of London 2012, yeah that Barnardo's girl's got no chance"

Meanwhile, two riders cross the line, one of whom celebrates

"That Trott bird rides for the Squiggle team in orange does nt she? Yeah she was there, musta won it, hang on...ahem... LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOUR WINNER OF THE IG NOCTURNE SPONSORED BY POWERGEN, MORE POWER TO YOU, IS LAURA TROTT!!!!"

"Hang on the Blusey eye referee bloke is saying something about Barnes..."
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Some interest and agreeable comments made from WindyMilla Bikes. Sounds like an absolute farce.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Some interest and agreeable comments made from WindyMilla Bikes. Sounds like an absolute farce.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=646863565341860&set=a.152293484798873.36112.110810008947221&type=1&theater
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Laura Trott ‏@LauraTrott31
    For all those commenting on the Nocturne. When myself and Hannah crossed the line it was tight and my transponder picked up first. This is...Why I was called the winner, before the photo finish was checked. Having seen the video Hannah won fair and square. Fair play to her!...Thats bike racing for u! Cant win them all. Now I think its time to put that one behind us and continue growing womens cycling! #lovemysport

Sounds like she really did nt know, not her fault really...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    There is a link to the Wiggle Team website on the Wyndymilla Facbook page that linked to a statement released from Wiggle on the nocturne result that has since been removed. Does anyone have the text of that statement before it was taken down?

http://wigglehonda.com/laura-trott-wins ... -nocturne/

Reading the comments in that link, it seems the Wiggle Team thought they had won the race fair and square.

DD.