Dengfu fm029 isp

brearley
brearley Posts: 165
edited March 2016 in Your road bikes
Hi Guys,

Recently built up this Dengfu frame.
I already had most of the parts for this bike and after moving away from home for work I decided to change teams.
This didn't work out and left me without a frame to ride.
As I was on a tight budget I bought this frame and put what I had on it.

Super record groupset, hed stinger 60/ planet x 20mm carbon wheels
The 60mm are my main race wheels with 20mm being training/hilly road race wheels.
I've also used some Powercordz swift cabling for brake and gear, this drops around 175g from the weight of the bike overall which is well worth it considering they were only a fraction over standard campagnolo cost and are of similar weight to mini i-links.

Overall the bike is stiff due to BB30 and feels responsive.
the 14cm stem doesn't detract from the steering as this is responsive and confidence inspiring.
Having raced this bike twice so far I've not been outside the top 10.
Tell me what you think.
IMAG0109.jpgIMAG0108.jpgIMAG0107.jpg

Comments

• velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    I like it.
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    It looks really mean and business like. I like it.

But in fact you should be telling us what you think of it. What did you come off of? And what's it like compared to that? Stiffness, handling, ride etc...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Nice, makes a change to see one with a gloss finish, so many are the matt carbon.

Prefer it with the deep rims 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    This is nice. Well proportioned. I’m generally very suspicious of these Chinese carbon frames, so I’m glad to hear it rides well.
  • Danny87
    Danny87 Posts: 121
    Put thousands of training miles on a FM015 no problems at all very happy with it. The FM029 ^ is the new all internally routed cable version of the FM028. Raced my FM015 alot.. Again with no complaints plus it's cheap so if I'm involved in a crash it won't cost me a small fortune (if it's writen off) to replace!
  • brearley
    so weight with the planet x wheels comes in at exactly 6.8kg.
    this is with conti gatorskin tubs at >300g each and a chorus cassette.
    with the hed stingers with Super record cassette it weighs in at 7.00kg
    Soon I'll be looking to upgrade to a lighter ISP clamp an a lighter stem as the current stem weighs in at nearly 200g.
    Until I can get another 11 speed cassette the planet x wheels are my training wheels so cannot run lighter tubs for now.

In terms of ride, I have gone from a giant TCR alliance (half carbon/half aluminium)
    The ride is stiffer in every way, with the tubs which roll like frozen hosepipes the ride is stiff and quite unforgiving.
    Rode my first 60 mile road race on it at weekend using these tubs and it was pretty tough.
    For the past 3 seasons I've used a pedalforce zx3 this frame is stiffer and more racey and obviously the internal cable routing, bb30 and tapered headtube contribute to a stiff smooth racey ride.

Unfortunately I will be taking off the osymetric chainring as I feel although there is a performance upgrade in terms of straight line speed, for the type of racing i do (mainly crit/kermesse type race) these are not fit for purpose being quite flexy under high power.
    I have a sram red ring to put on however this is also flexy in hand so will be looking to upgrade this.

If anybody has the following please pm me.

Chorus 11 speed cassette, any ratio
    ritchey wcs 4 axis -17 degree stem 130mm (other similar style stems considered)
    Ritchey stubby ISP topper 38.35mm ID
  • brearley
    I should add the 6.8kg was with Sram out in front garmin mount and garmin attached.
  • justyn_c_uk
    justyn_c_uk Posts: 126
    It looks very similar to the ZX3 (I have one and love it), especially around the seatstay. Is it an effective design tweak?
    Please look at my handmade cycling cufflinks
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    how much is one of those framesets?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Around £300 depending on how you go about buying one.
  • brearley
    all together I paid £320 including shipping and customs (I didn't pay any for some unknown reason)
    shipping took around 2 weeks with the majority of time spent in UK customs
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice one...
  • So, a year on, how did the FM029 workout? I'm thinking of picking up one of the Dengfu TT frames (and maybe one of these for my brother) so I'm interested to hear how this held up.

P.S., Apologies for the mega bump but considering this post is on the first page of google when you search for FM029 it seems sensible... oh, and I can't PM for some reason.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    itsmatt wrote:
    So, a year on, how did the FM029 workout? I'm thinking of picking up one of the Dengfu TT frames (and maybe one of these for my brother) so I'm interested to hear how this held up.

P.S., Apologies for the mega bump but considering this post is on the first page of google when you search for FM029 it seems sensible... oh, and I can't PM for some reason.
    Is that Matt?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Is this the same frame used in the Ribble HF83 - Looks it. :shock:
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Are they planetx brakes? What do you think of them? And how heavy are you?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Is that Matt?

:) There's no flies on you.
  • Lovely bike mate! Heard the Dengfu's are very good, and reasonably priced. Hope you enjoy it!
  • brearley
    So I'm going into the new year still racing this bike.
    It is stiff in every direction. If I were to buy it again I'd go non-ISP but that is purely for comfort.
    It's responsive and handles really well, even with my 14cm stem on it the bike is confidence inspiring.
    The BB30 bottom bracket is stiff, I'm comparing this to a Focus Cayo and Giant TCR alliance and it trumps both of these.
    Some people talk about manufacturing tolerances with Chinese frames/components but the standard BB30 bearings and the Neco headset that come with it fit perfectly first time.
    I wouldn't hesitate in buying one of these again.

Yes they are planet x brakes, CNC version. I'm 70Kg and comparing to the likes of Shimano 105, Campagnolo Centaur.
    Yes the stopping power is probably slightly less than these main brands however I wouldn't say I'm concerned about them. I've been to Southern Spain in the mountains with these and they've worked flawlessly.

I'll be updating this thread in the coming weeks as the bike is being rebuilt for the coming road season.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    How do you get on with the Planet X 20mm tubs? I can get mine to flex a bit (cheapish Bitex hubs) and rub - same for you?
  • brearley
    I can't say there is a massive amount of flex, admittedly they're much comfier than the hed stingers but they're stiff wheels.. I'm going to have them retensioned before the season starts as the nds have come slightly loose but I have battered them. Bought for £200 they've done me a full cross season and training and races so can't complain at the price.
  • brearley
    As promised here's how the bike is looking for the current season.
    IMAG0033.jpg
    Since last season I have added titanium axles to the speedplays, carbon front mech clamp, stronglight ct2 chainrings, ti bolts for stem, alloy bottle bolts and top cap, kmc x11sl chain. Forks have been painted white and saddle changed to san marco concor lite.
    I've got a ritchey wcs seat clamp coming which should drop 50g. weight is around 6.8kg as it stands.
    Unsure whether to change to white bar tape?
  • brearley
    2014-04-30180455.jpg
    new bar tape, decals and ritchey wcs clamp added.
    No more real upgrades in the future until I can get a bb30 crank based power meter.
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Looks spot on and fast!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Any particular reason for the white fork? Personally I think all black with the white writing and tan tubs would look better. How long is that stem!?
  • brearley
    stem is 140mm, I'm not massively tall but it suits my position.
    I had the fork sprayed up as I was bored of the whole stealth look. Too much black is never a good thing.

Future upgrades are either:
    Zipp 808 BB firecrest tubs
    Quarq riken bb30 chainset
    new frameset of some description.

Downsides I've found of this frameset are:
    both bottle bosses are coming loose, this is a minor fix I've not got round to.
    ISP outer diameter is a non-standard so aftermarket products don't fit (I had to tune seatpost to fit)
    front brake has a habit of hitting the downtube when turning the bars.
    also I have to use spacers on my chainset to get the cranks to fit? I have one 2.5mm on one side and same on the other plus the waby washer.
  • Camcycle1974
    Would recommend the Ribble 872 frame. UK purchase so a bit more of a guarantee. Have some Chinese clinchers on mine which look great and perform really well. It is a stealth build but you could add a white stem/seat post etc if you wanted to get away from full stealth. 140 is long, my mate just had a bike fit and had to get a 140. He does have arms like a Gorilla though! The frame sounds a little rough, the 872 is only about £450 so not much more than importing one.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The font for 'Interceptor' looks like it was picked because it was the only handwriting style font in CorelDraw 2
  • brearley
    there is zero chance of me getting a ribble. That'd be staying on the same level of frameset which I don't want to do.
    I'm looking more towards felt f1 or something along those lines.
    In all honesty I ordered the decals in a different font and received these along with some orders missing so it's not exactly how I wanted but I like this font.
    I'm thinking about going for a specialized romin pro saddle in white or maybe putting some new leather on a stripped SLR i've got as this saddle is too thick, wide and uncomfy for me unfortunately.
  • Camcycle1974
    brearley wrote:
    there is zero chance of me getting a ribble. That'd be staying on the same level of frameset which I don't want to do.
    I'm looking more towards felt f1 or something along those lines.
    In all honesty I ordered the decals in a different font and received these along with some orders missing so it's not exactly how I wanted but I like this font.
    I'm thinking about going for a specialized romin pro saddle in white or maybe putting some new leather on a stripped SLR i've got as this saddle is too thick, wide and uncomfy for me unfortunately.

Ok, suit yourself. My Ribble has none of the problems you describe, so maybe not the same level?