Prescription Sunglasses

2»

Comments

• shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    I think it might add some distortion, but I believe the acceptable range of Rx inserts was from -4.00 to +4.00
    Thank you.
    So long as any distortion is minimal I should cope. After all my regular specs are rimless (Silhouette) with small varifocal lenses so peripheral isn't too much of an issue. Or are you saying that looking directly forward I might experience distortion? I do hope not.
  • shortcuts
    RE- would also prefer directly glazed varifocal lenses too but the cost is rising :shock:
    My eyes are both +2.50 distance and add +2.00 for near. Will that entail an issue with distortion on insert lenses do you know?

Putting a varifocal in an insert should not be a problem. The issue of distortion is more to do with the quality of the varifocal and the accuracy of their positioning. Therefor if you have the same quality lens as you do in your normal spex it will be the same in the insert.
    Nice1 thank you. I may be about to order some from Optilabs then. Thanks' indeed for the help. Much appreciated.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    shortcuts wrote:
    I think it might add some distortion, but I believe the acceptable range of Rx inserts was from -4.00 to +4.00
    Thank you.
    So long as any distortion is minimal I should cope. After all my regular specs are rimless (Silhouette) with small varifocal lenses so peripheral isn't too much of an issue. Or are you saying that looking directly forward I might experience distortion? I do hope not.

Forward vision is crystal clear, it's just the edges of the lens that have some distortion. It just means you need to turn your head fully when looking back instead of a slight turn and moving your eyes.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts wrote:
    Thank you.

Forward vision is crystal clear, it's just the edges of the lens that have some distortion. It just means you need to turn your head fully when looking back instead of a slight turn and moving your eyes.
    Cheers. Not too much of an issue for me then as I have small lenses in my regular specs so have to do that anyway.
  • themogulman
    themogulman Posts: 167
    Ordering varifocals via a remote sale (not face to face) is not going to be very succesfull 95% of the time due to the lack of accurate measurement. The lenses need to be positioned/measured whilst the customer is wearing them not an educated guess.

Buy the frame, getting advise from an Optician then take it to them to have the lenses made up or ask what frames the can do. Go to the independent ones as they probably bit more flexible in what frames they can get.
  • shortcuts
    Ordering varifocals via a remote sale (not face to face) is not going to be very succesfull 95% of the time due to the lack of accurate measurement. The lenses need to be positioned/measured whilst the customer is wearing them not an educated guess.

Buy the frame, getting advise from an Optician then take it to them to have the lenses made up or ask what frames the can do. Go to the independent ones as they probably bit more flexible in what frames they can get.
    Good advice thanks'. Am about to go into my local Specsavers and two independents in my local High Street. I will see what they have to say.
    Appreciated.
  • shortcuts
    Well that was an interesting if fruitless visit to three opticians!
    I have just been into Specsavers and two independent opticians and asked the question A/ do you supply prescription cycling sunglasses and B/ if I were to bring some in to you would it be possible to glaze the inserts with varifocal lenses?
    None were able to supply and niether did they feel able to glaze them for me. Specsavers didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about and didn't understand the concept of glazed inserts. The two independents were similar in attitude although one said that varifocals couldn't be inserted as the varifocal lens would be too close to the eye to be effective! They were able to put single vision lenses in but were loath to do this in frames sourced elsewhere!
    How unhelpful is that :x
    So it looks as though I will have to get them from Optilabs via the net which I am slightly dubious about doing as I worry about the fit given that I want to try the glasses on before ordering any. Plus given that attitude I doubt I will be able to get the eye measurement from them anyway. (as in the distance between pupils).
    So, back to square one really and not too happy to say the least!
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    shortcuts wrote:
    slowsider wrote:

I went for the XLC Bahamas with RX insert. At the time it was the best budget option I could find, and I wasn't sure if I'd get on with them.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29492

Will upgrade when I need to, might try the Planet X ones then if the budget doesn't run to Oakleys 8)
    Says on your Chain Reaction link that they are discontinued.

LMGTFY

http://www.probikeshop.com/xlc-bahamas- ... 28353.html

and surely in Slough you must have a number of other opticians nearby enough that you could visit before you have to risk online...
  • themogulman
    shortcuts wrote:
    I have just been into Specsavers and two independent opticians and asked the question A/ do you supply prescription cycling sunglasses and B/ if I were to bring some in to you would it be possible to glaze the inserts with varifocal lenses?
    None were able to supply and niether did they feel able to glaze them for me. Specsavers didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about and didn't understand the concept of glazed inserts. The two independents were similar in attitude although one said that varifocals couldn't be inserted as the varifocal lens would be too close to the eye to be effective! They were able to put single vision lenses in but were loath to do this in frames sourced elsewhere!
    So it looks as though I will have to get them from Optilabs via the net which I am slightly dubious about doing as I worry about the fit given that I want to try the glasses on before ordering any. Plus given that attitude I doubt I will be able to get the eye measurement from them anyway. (as in the distance between pupils).

Did you ask to see a Dispensing Optician? All the answers they are rubbish. Varifocals tend to work better when fitting close as it increases the field of vision. They may be loathed but stupid to turn business away. If the insert is brand new then if there are any faults with it then they/you can return it. If they butcher it its their fault.

It all sounds crap. Some jobs are tricky, but not to an experienced DO. I've looked online at places to try and found TH Collinson in Slough. They do Polaroid sunspex which are sourced from a company called Norville. They have frames that will be suitable for what you want(wrap around sunspex without the need for an insert) and Norville are a company that can just about make any lens possible(but sometimes take their time about it).

Good luck.
  • shortcuts
    edited June 2013
    slowsider wrote:
    shortcuts wrote:
    slowsider wrote:

I went for the XLC Bahamas with RX insert. At the time it was the best budget option I could find, and I wasn't sure if I'd get on with them.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29492

Will upgrade when I need to, might try the Planet X ones then if the budget doesn't run to Oakleys 8)
    Says on your Chain Reaction link that they are discontinued.

LMGTFY

http://www.probikeshop.com/xlc-bahamas- ... 28353.html

and surely in Slough you must have a number of other opticians nearby enough that you could visit before you have to risk online...
    Yes there probably are more but I didn't have the time to visit all of them but out of three I did visit, three weren't interested or failed to understand what I wanted.
    Thanks' for the link. What does LMGTFY stand for please?
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts wrote:

Did you ask to see a Dispensing Optician? All the answers they are rubbish. Varifocals tend to work better when fitting close as it increases the field of vision. They may be loathed but stupid to turn business away. If the insert is brand new then if there are any faults with it then they/you can return it. If they butcher it its their fault.

It all sounds crap. Some jobs are tricky, but not to an experienced DO. I've looked online at places to try and found TH Collinson in Slough. They do Polaroid sunspex which are sourced from a company called Norville. They have frames that will be suitable for what you want(wrap around sunspex without the need for an insert) and Norville are a company that can just about make any lens possible(but sometimes take their time about it).

Good luck.
    Yes I spoke to the manager in each as the staff seemed unsure and the managers were dispensing opticians. What can I say?
    Thanks' for taking the time to find Collison, appreciated very much. I will google the company and see if I can comprehend that a bit better.
    Would very much prefer not to order the glazing done on the net as I am sure things will simply work with less complication if the glasses can be fitted by a pro with me present.
    Thanks again for the response.

EDIT
    Not sure how you ascertained details re sunspecs and Norville as the site seems totally bereft of details such as that lol.
  • themogulman
    I own an Opticians and use Norville and Polaroid sunglasses.

Steve
  • shortcuts
    I own an Opticians and use Norville and Polaroid sunglasses.

Steve
    Aha I see. Looking at the site gives no info as to stock etc so as soon as I can I will go in and have a chat. Shame your opticians shop isn't near me. Life would be so much simpler lol.
    Thanks' again, I really do appreciate the time and trouble you have put yourself to on behalf of a total stranger. :D
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    shortcuts wrote:

Let Me Google That For You :wink:
  • shortcuts
    slowsider wrote:
    shortcuts wrote:

Let Me Google That For You :wink:
    Very kind thank you.
    You need to understand that I wasn't trying to be an arse. I just thought you might like to know that the supplier you linked to had discontinued that line. :lol:
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    to shortcuts:

my initial order with optilabs started with an email to ask a few questions, then a few phone calls. they sent out a plain glazed frames to try on at home. i decided on frames then sent them all back post free.

i gave optilabs the phone number of my opticians, my opticians rang me to confirm i was happy for them to give my RX to optilabs.

a few days later i got my glasses.

when my RX changed more than a minimal amount, (3 years or so), i took the frames to my optician to be reglazed. this was done as part of the two for one deals.

i feel that my cycling RX does not have to be as up to date as my everyday reading/driving/walkingaroundwithoutbumpingintothings glasses.

i do feel it's important to have a good standard of eye sight when riding, but also the system you use needs to be both robust and comfortable. depending on priorities, some people are happy to spend a fair bit of money. i'm happy with optilabs and my optician at the moment.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • shortcuts
    TO andrewjoseph,

I appreciate that very much, thank you. I will look for some different opticians to get this sorted.
    One of the three I visited as mentioned in a previous post is the one I have been getting my regular eye tests and glasses from for years! So I will also be looking for a new one for my regular optical issues in the future! :x
  • shortcuts
    Well it is looking more and more like I am going to have to source and order something online, against my preference.
    I went to two more opticians yesterday, Vision Express and T H Collison, both in Slough town centre. Niether seemed able to help. Both were able to supply prescription sunglasses but niether had cycling specific wrap around type glasses.
    T H Collison were recommended within this thread as they were supposed to be able to supply Norville. They do but as said not cycling type glasses.
    So my online search starts today for a company that can supply and fit (remotely) from my prescription. Oh well, such is life.
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    I have some Spiuk cycling glasses which have a clip in system which means you can take them to any opticians and get prescription lenses put it - I used Vision Express. They do the job perfectly.