Prescription Sunglasses

Chris_marshall
Chris_marshall Posts: 24
edited June 2013 in Road general
After reading a thread here today and not wanting to hijack it I thought I would start my own

I am a spectacled gentleman and can't wear contacts at the minute so need the ability to see on the bike, I am currently wearing my glasses which is fine when it isn't sunny and now the sun is out its not ideal

I have just enquired abut prescription Oakleys and they are really expensive what other options are there? The Oakleys get decent reviews are there any other brands which are still good quality but are a bit cheaper?

Comments

• shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Nice1 Chris. I am also interested in the same so glad you have put up this question. Will be interested in the replies. Thanks'.
  • It's hard relying on glasses on the bike and there must be loads of us in the same boat.

To get prescription Oakleys it's over £300 and they need to come direct from Oakley. I would also be scared on smashing them!
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    I was in the same boat 3 years ago and yes they can be expensive. I wanted re-assurance of buying them over the counter, so family contributed to a Xmas present and purchased my Oakleys at Vision Express and took out their insurance at £30 for 2 years. I did buy transition lenses which address the issue of sunshine or not.

If you search on the forum there are several cheaper sites that members recommend.
  • Circlip
    Circlip Posts: 16
    I have the poor mans version: Rudy Projects w clip in lenses.

I went for this option for several reasons. I can change the outer lens (low light etc) and I was told that my prescription would change. So bit more flexibility & I couldn't justify the ££ for the reasons you suggest.

Guess if I am critical it doesn't LOOK so cool but that isn't really a problem for me.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    optilabs.
    i have varifocal lenses in 2 pairs of glasses: 1 yellow tint for mtb, 1 photochromatic for road.

been using them for 10 years or so.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have one pair of Shimano glasses with RX inserts gives me a the option of changing the outer lens but I also have another set of glasses that I got re-glazed to my prescription I have light brown tint and these can easily be used all year round, I got them done here:http://www.ineedspex.co.uk/category?id=16/replacement-lenses/
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    I use a pair of Bolle Vortex with prescription Rx inserts. Would definitely recommend them.

I bought the frame with 2 lenses (clear and photochromatic rose gun) for roughly £100, then I bought the prescription Rx insert separately for about £40.

The photochromatic rose gun lens is great as it is useful in all conditions except for night.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Tifosi Roubaix glasses with a prescription insert, the whole lot done for a smidge under £100
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • 13en
    13en Posts: 7
    I've just ordered my second pair from optilabs.com (lost the first pair last year :( ). Bit pricey, but cheaper than Oakleys and not too much more than inserts - £170 for frame and standard lenses. They seem to be able to cover a wide range of prescriptions, you can even get some frames sent out for you to try. The customer service seems to be pretty good, they tend to reply to emails really quickly. I can post some pictures when this new pair turn up (hopefully soon!)
  • Thanks for all of the great responses.
  • shortcuts
    Anyone know where I can actually view some glasses in store anywhere (Slough area) to see what I want and then talk to them about the varifocal lenses being fitted.
    Maybe I am a bit dim but looking on various websites doesn't seem to work for me as I fail to understand the ordering system for the prescription lenses, clip in or otherwise. :(
  • shortcuts
    Mikey41 wrote:
    Tifosi Roubaix glasses with a prescription insert, the whole lot done for a smidge under £100
    Where, how?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    once you have the frame you like, you can take them to any opticians to have them glazed with your prescription, as long as it will fit in the frame.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • shortcuts
    once you have the frame you like, you can take them to any opticians to have them glazed with your prescription, as long as it will fit in the frame.
    Thanks'. I think I better have a chat with my optician and get some clarification.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    shortcuts wrote:
    Mikey41 wrote:
    Where, how?
    Glasses - £50
    RX Insert - £15
    Lenses - £30

I found a local one-man firm who grinds lenses himself. Give him your prescription and he will make them to suit. His price is excellent and so is the workmanship, they are perfect.

http://www.respecyourself.co.uk/

That's him. It sounds like it should be a big company, but it's just one guy in a room on a trading estate :D
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I have copied my post from another thread for you.

PlanetX do some nice shades http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/eye_wear

For prescription glasses you have 2 choices. Have the lens made to your prescription or buy glasses with an RX Insert and have those made to your prescription. RX are cheaper and if your prescription changes you can have just the inserts deglazed. Also, RX inserts can have interchangeable lenses, I've got the Power Race Apache from PlanetX, they come with 4 different colour lenses including photo chromic for £30. It then cost me £80 to have lenses put in the RX Inserts - I could have got it done cheaper using a web based prescription lens company.

This is just to give you an idea of what RX inserts look like:
    MaximRX_Insert.jpg

Downsides, the inserts add weight to the glasses and are closer to your eyes. All the RX inserts are different, there's no standard, you just send your inserts off to be glazed.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Got my prescription riding glasses at specsavers of all places. They are called 'Osiris'. They are actually designed for skiing, and peripheral vision isn't brilliant, but I've been wearing mine for more than two years now and they are an excellent 'wrap-around' style that fit well and don't look out of place on the bike. Memory tells me they were about £120 all in, certainly no more expensive than that.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    With prescription glasses you have to consider what you want out of the glasses.

Most cycling glasses are of a wrap around construction to a greater or lesser extent. This is to give both direct vision down the road and to allow good peripheral vision for oncoming cars, pedestrians, other cyclists, etc. The problem with inserts is that you get perfect vision straight ahead but no correction in what some consider the most important area- the sides. very few of us get ride into a car directly in front of us. We all get knocked off or caught out by the car coming at an angle. The reaction time of the eye as it tries to process the information from an out of focus image to the side may be important.

The Oakley system is the only one that fully glazes the lens with your prescription right out to the side and will cope with a bifocal correction for us MAMILS. There are a number of opticians around the country who can order these and tell you which Oakleys are available.

I think if you have perfect long distance and you only need a reading correction then inserts are probably fine but anything else and I think they can be dangerous for cyclists.
  • shortcuts
    With prescription glasses you have to consider what you want out of the glasses.

The Oakley system is the only one that fully glazes the lens with your prescription right out to the side and will cope with a bifocal correction for us MAMILS. There are a number of opticians around the country who can order these and tell you which Oakleys are available.
    All well and good and I fully understand where you are coming from but Oakley's are way out of my price range so need to source a cheaper alternative.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    I think if you have perfect long distance and you only need a reading correction then inserts are probably fine but anything else and I think they can be dangerous for cyclists.

If you've get endless boatloads of cash, i'm sure the Oakley system is wonderful (i love Oakley glasses and have some non prescription ones) but the statement above is just not true. Many people pedal in ordinary spectacles without any problems.. so there's no reason why RX lenses would be "Dangerous".
    Anyone remember Laurent Fignon, he seemed to manage with ordinary specs.... :wink:
  • themogulman
    themogulman Posts: 167

Most cycling glasses are of a wrap around construction to a greater or lesser extent. This is to give both direct vision down the road and to allow good peripheral vision for oncoming cars, pedestrians, other cyclists, etc. The problem with inserts is that you get perfect vision straight ahead but no correction in what some consider the most important area- the sides. very few of us get ride into a car directly in front of us. We all get knocked off or caught out by the car coming at an angle. The reaction time of the eye as it tries to process the information from an out of focus image to the side may be important.

RE-Peripheral vision. We don't need clear vision to see things moving in the periphery. The eye is beautifully designed to see movement and then we look at it when we need the clarity that our central vision provides. Google rods and cones for the full explanation.

RE-Oakley. There are lots of frame manufactures that make wrap around frames. Just go an see a good Optician and they will be able to make your prescription up. If you prescription is over+/- 4 ish then it become trickier. These people are the experts so use their knowledge. Ask to see a Dispensing Optician.

RE-Inserts. Yes there are going to restrict your filed of vision but they are a simple/cost effective solution that allows you to wear a pair of "normal" cycling glasses. I personally don't like them. They should never be used just for reading as it would give you blurred vision anything past about a metre.

Themogulman-FBDO Dispensing Optician
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I've got the Power Race Apache from PlanetX, they come with 4 different colour lenses including photo chromic for £30. .

They look good.

I went for the XLC Bahamas with RX insert. At the time it was the best budget option I could find, and I wasn't sure if I'd get on with them.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29492

Will upgrade when I need to, might try the Planet X ones then if the budget doesn't run to Oakleys 8)
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    As a side note, I went into Specsavers for a free contact lens consultation, great, got given a free batch to try out at home. Intended to be used for sports and cycling. Sorted.

Oh wait, Specsavers lady says the lens' says they'll correct my short-sightedness, but not my double vision (as my glasses do). Well, that's not much good then! Pfft!

So I've been specky on the bike since then.
  • shortcuts
    slowsider wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I've got the Power Race Apache from PlanetX, they come with 4 different colour lenses including photo chromic for £30. .

They look good.

I went for the XLC Bahamas with RX insert. At the time it was the best budget option I could find, and I wasn't sure if I'd get on with them.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29492

Will upgrade when I need to, might try the Planet X ones then if the budget doesn't run to Oakleys 8)
    Says on your Chain Reaction link that they are discontinued.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you are long sighted like me and just need close-up correction, the Dual Eye Wear glasses have zero correction lenses but with a "bi focal" bit at the bottom which comes in 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5 diopter correction.

Perfect for reading your bike computer or map. Available in the UK here http://www.highonbikes.com/catalogsearc ... nufacturer[]=1591 or direct from the US.

I got mine from the US since the UK supplier at the time didn't stock the amber and clear lenses.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • shortcuts
    drlodge wrote:
    If you are long sighted like me and just need close-up correction, the Dual Eye Wear glasses have zero correction lenses but with a "bi focal" bit at the bottom which comes in 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5 diopter correction.

Perfect for reading your bike computer or map. Available in the UK here http://www.highonbikes.com/catalogsearc ... nufacturer[]=1591 or direct from the US.

I got mine from the US since the UK supplier at the time didn't stock the amber and clear lenses.
    I'm after varifocals for short and long correction.
  • shamrock134
    The Rx inserts aren't perfect for peripheral vision, but as long as I do a proper look over the shoulder I haven't found it to be an issue. That said my prescription isn't too bad, something like -1.5 in each eye I think. They'd probably be a lot worse with a stronger prescription.

Of course, if I were a bit more flush I would love directly glazed lenses!
  • shortcuts
    The Rx inserts aren't perfect for peripheral vision, but as long as I do a proper look over the shoulder I haven't found it to be an issue. That said my prescription isn't too bad, something like -1.5 in each eye I think. They'd probably be a lot worse with a stronger prescription.

Of course, if I were a bit more flush I would love directly glazed lenses!
    I would also prefer directly glazed varifocal lenses too but the cost is rising :shock:
    My eyes are both +2.50 distance and add +2.00 for near. Will that entail an issue with distortion on insert lenses do you know?
  • themogulman
    themogulman Posts: 167
    RE- would also prefer directly glazed varifocal lenses too but the cost is rising :shock:
    My eyes are both +2.50 distance and add +2.00 for near. Will that entail an issue with distortion on insert lenses do you know?

Putting a varifocal in an insert should not be a problem. The issue of distortion is more to do with the quality of the varifocal and the accuracy of their positioning. Therefor if you have the same quality lens as you do in your normal spex it will be the same in the insert.
  • shamrock134
    I think it might add some distortion, but I believe the acceptable range of Rx inserts was from -4.00 to +4.00

EDIT: I think I misunderstood your question so ignore me!