spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:
    fulcrum racing 3s upwards have cup and ball bearings
    Really? Oh.... I thought the Fulcrum range was all cartridge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wju6FWiVjQ
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    The think I would say about the Pro 3s is that the free hubs chew very easily indeed. I've replaced my alu one with the steel version after a few thousand miles. I actually pulled the free hub body off the hub whilst trying to remove the cassette.

The freehub pops off easily, so that is not unusual... most cassettes chew into alloy freehubs, higher end casettes made of clusters chew less and of course tightening the cassette properly helps too. I have some Novatec hubs, the chewest of them all in that respect, yet they are fine after two years and about 8 K miles, so I suspect it is down to proper fitting and use.
    I would say Hope are not the softest out there and all the Hope freehubs I have inspected were fine after many miles

User error? How very dare you! ;)

It's was a PC-1070 cassette so middle of the range my fettling issues are generally with getting stuff off.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    The think I would say about the Pro 3s is that the free hubs chew very easily indeed. I've replaced my alu one with the steel version after a few thousand miles. I actually pulled the free hub body off the hub whilst trying to remove the cassette.

The freehub pops off easily, so that is not unusual... most cassettes chew into alloy freehubs, higher end casettes made of clusters chew less and of course tightening the cassette properly helps too. I have some Novatec hubs, the chewest of them all in that respect, yet they are fine after two years and about 8 K miles, so I suspect it is down to proper fitting and use.
    I would say Hope are not the softest out there and all the Hope freehubs I have inspected were fine after many miles

User error? How very dare you! ;)

It's was a PC-1070 cassette so middle of the range my fettling issues are generally with getting stuff off.

I try to stay out of SRAM, so I don't really know how their stuff compare to Shimano... I am very conservative when it comes to components, as every time I left the Campagnolo-Shimano avenue, I only found a lot of crap, sometimes even hyped by the masses. If Shimano did 105 hubs in all drillings, I would not build anything else and I am not the only one... they are missing a trick there, I'm afraid
    left the forum March 2023
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got a couple of sets of 5600 hubs in the garage for a future project. For the price of them I don't think there is anything that can compare, in my limited experience. £60 for a full hub set that is well built, reliable and easily serviced.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I try to stay out of SRAM, so I don't really know how their stuff compare to Shimano...
    Watch out for the SRAM Red cassettes then! Machined as one big cluster, but the splined bit that engages into the freehub is the same width as a single sprocket.

They're actually fine on a steel freehub, but I should think they'd munch an alloy freehub quite rapidly.

Do you have any experience of the Novatec aluminium freehubs with the steel insert on one spline? Any good?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    TGOTB wrote:
    I try to stay out of SRAM, so I don't really know how their stuff compare to Shimano...
    Watch out for the SRAM Red cassettes then! Machined as one big cluster, but the splined bit that engages into the freehub is the same width as a single sprocket.

They're actually fine on a steel freehub, but I should think they'd munch an alloy freehub quite rapidly.

Do you have any experience of the Novatec aluminium freehubs with the steel insert on one spline? Any good?

Yes, I have used a few, combined with the 482 SL rear hub.. the bearing issues masked any advantage of these over the standard freehubs. I could see some signs of chewing, but obviously the steel insert prevented the splines to dig deeper into the freehub, so they do do something... shame they come on shocking hubs... I believe only the B1 type freehub is fitted with ABG, whic hfits 482/482 Sl and the 712 hub... the latter is a good buy
    left the forum March 2023