Maintaining, or even increasing your weight.

wavefront
wavefront Posts: 397
I'm probably a little unusual to most in that I want to put on weight and wondered if any of you have struggled with this as I can't seem to gain weight?

I've been road cycling seriously for a year, and was 12 stone (I'm 6ft) when I started. Although I'm a slim build I had a tyre appearing round my middle which prompted me to ride more. My weight dropped to 11st and my tummy has nearly all but gone. My weight stabilised there for a while, but I've become so addicted to cycling, my rides have increased in frequency and distance -  for example, on 8 out of the past 14 days, I've been out on 50mile loops. But that'll be nowhere near what some on these forums do, day in day out.

However, despite eating (what I consider) well, my weight is now 10 st 9lbs which isn't a problem so much, but my face is beginning to look quite drawn and a few friends have expressed a little concern and I'm wondering how to maintain my weight, or put some on (but not around my tummy!) without reducing the rides. 

I'm sure the responses will simply be, eat more! That's easier said than done, as I try to ensure that I eat enough to compensate for the calories I burn, and I feel like I'm always eating!

Any ideas on how to put on a little weight, so I don't look so gaunt? How do you guys who cycle lots, keep your weight up?

Comments

• JamesFree
    JamesFree Posts: 703
    It is pretty simple the same as losing weight (well the complete opposite) just make sure your eating more than your burning off. Just keep track of how much your burning off (roughly) and make sure you are eating more, its as simple as that.
  • mentalalex
    mentalalex Posts: 266
    Protein shakes can help as well
    I do science, sometimes.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Switch to these bad boys for your ride snacks, 524 calories per bar:

http://www.blackfriarsbakery.co.uk/flap ... pjack.html
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Drinking calories is much easier than eating them.

GOMAD - Gallon Of Milk A Day
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Setarkos
    Setarkos Posts: 239
    Protein. Fat. Water.

Get your body fat percentage measured for an objective criterion.

...or get cyclist friends, they will compliment your lean looking face ;)
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    I wouldn't worry about it, at 6ft and 10st 9lb you are still in the middle area of what is considered healthy BMI. I think the problem is that people generally are fatter today than they were 10-20 years ago and therfore people who stay fit and slim are thought to be different to the norm

20 years ago I was a good class middle and long distance runner I was 5ft 11ins and when I was running at my absolute best I was 9st 10lb people back then just though I was fit, not underweight and thin. It all went to pot though after an injury ended my running career ballooning to 16st before I took up cycling and now back down to 12st with a target of 11.

The question is are you comfortable with it? Just because other people say you look thin isn't necessarily a reason for you to put weight on. If you add weight think of those hills :?
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I turned to chocolate covered brazils at the end of last year... Not the greatest food perhaps but they're a great way to up your calorie intake without eating so much that you feel like you're stuffed 3-4 times a day.

I'm around 10st 7 and only an inch shorter than you which puts my BMI at 20.5, healthy range is around 18.5 to 25 so while you're getting light you're not underweight yet (usual declarations about how BMI is a pretty broad brush approach and doesn't suit everyone).

Chances are friends / colleagues who have commented are just noticing the change but I don't think I look all that healthy if I drop below 20 so you may be reaching a similar point. Eat more and try tracking your miles so that you have an idea of when you should eat more and when you haven't been putting the miles in.
  • hughmyron
    hughmyron Posts: 7
    There's no easy way round it, you have to eat more. Do you know how many calories you're consuming at the moment? As with losing weight, it's important to know how much you're consuming daily in order to ensure you eat enough. If you're able to maintain your weight currently, you won't necessarily need to eat much more, especially if you're willing to eat 'unhealthy' food, you'd only need to increase by a few hundred calories to start gaining and you can get about 250 from a mars bar so it needn't affect your life too much.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Simply drizzle a bit more olive oil on your food. The calorie density of oils and fats is WICKED, man.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Goggs-san
    Goggs-san Posts: 36
    Had to check I was on the right forum when GOMAD was mentioned.

But if that doesnt put weight on you. A trip to the doctor is in need.
  • mattc1234
    mattc1234 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem, I am eating what I think is enough but obviously it isn't. I have considered seeing somebody to try and determine an accurate figure for how many calories I require each day. Does anybody have any recommendations for this?
  • I'm 6'1 and 10 stone 3 lbs. My BMI is 19. I'm not underweight and neither are you.

I'd suggest just make sure your eating a healthy diet. I use protein shakes after a ride then a big meal.

Being lean is an advantage when cycling. Just make sure you keep your muscles well fed.