BBC coverage of the UCI DH World champs

124»

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I suppose knock on affects for bike shops, b&b's etc?
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    They def need to showcase the guys with some personality.

Actually... Not the a sport packed with personalities!
    Personality isn't all it takes to be interesting and engaging in front of the camera though!

Well unfortunately for Mr. Hart, he is lacking that too!

Lad can ride a bike though! Should of got Peaty to do it.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Grovsie29 wrote:
    They def need to showcase the guys with some personality.

Actually... Not the a sport packed with personalities!
    Personality isn't all it takes to be interesting and engaging in front of the camera though!

Well unfortunately for Mr. Hart, he is lacking that too!

Lad can ride a bike though! should have got Peaty to do it.

Indeed he can. Should've got CG to do it
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I think Warner is a bit out of touch with the tracks now. Too many of his comments are how he used to ride which was... a dozen years ago? We need someone who can explain riders techniques through certain sections better, a rider of more recent racing vintage with more intimate knowledge of what's going on between the rider, tyre and dirt.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I think Warner is a bit out of touch with the tracks now. Too many of his comments are how he used to ride which was... a dozen years ago? We need someone who can explain riders techniques through certain sections better, a rider of more recent racing vintage with more intimate knowledge of what's going on between the rider, tyre and dirt.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm too busy with work commitments.
    I reckon Rob does a great job. He's enthusiastic, he knows the sport, and personally knows most of the riders.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've watched some of the highlights videos. Nice looking stuff.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    welshkev wrote:

This, and more. Greater demand for bikes, means more stores to sell them. More facilities will open. Competetion in the market place. I see certain price points becoming even more competetive, especially sub £500 and very much so with the likes of Halfords and Decathlon.

Sure, some will jump on it as a means to profiteer, but we usually see more and more bargains filter to the market. If you are only interested in boutique brands and sitting in your trail centre cafe with your penis extension of a bike, it may make no difference.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    PS I think Rob is perfect for the job, He was there when Peaty raced, and I think he is a lot more shrewd than many think. Personality, quick witted, and knowledgeable.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    supersonic wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

This, and more. Greater demand for bikes, means more stores to sell them. More facilities will open. Competetion in the market place. I see certain price points becoming even more competetive, especially sub £500 and very much so with the likes of Halfords and Decathlon.

Sure, some will jump on it as a means to profiteer, but we usually see more and more bargains filter to the market. If you are only interested in boutique brands and sitting in your trail centre cafe with your penis extension of a bike, it may make no difference.
    Hmm, i think it'll mean more manufacturers selling more stuff like the hardrock because consumers won't know what's what. Just a chance to play the ignorance card imo.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    supersonic wrote:
    PS I think Rob is perfect for the job, He was there when Peaty raced, and I think he is a lot more shrewd than many think. Personality, quick witted, and knowledgeable.
    So many of his comments are about how the tracks used to be when he rode them, and he even hinted at FB that a 650b bike could be perfect - not that he'd actually ridden one :roll: Changes to bikes and courses are out-dating him and I'd like to hear from someone with more recent experience on the circuit and with the bikes. But I agree, he's a legend and is an integral part of the WC now.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    supersonic wrote:
    So many of his comments are about how the tracks used to be when he rode them, and he even hinted at FB that a 650b bike could be perfect - not that he'd actually ridden one :roll: Changes to bikes and courses are out-dating him and I'd like to hear from someone with more recent experience on the circuit and with the bikes. But I agree, he's a legend and is an integral part of the WC now.

That's not entirely true I think his actual comment was something like - if there is a track where a bike with the supposed benefits a 650b gives could be of use then FB was one of them - it was pretty vague and they talked briefly about wheel sizes changing in xc but I dont think he pushed it.

I did get the impression he hadn't ridden the course this year which he normally does which is a shame, I think a little rubber on the ground has to help him know more about what we are watching but generally I think he is a good character for the lead role. He used to get Anneka Beerten (spelling?) in to help out with the 4x and ladies DH, and Nigel Page used to do the mens with him but he's a bit busy these days! I think Cunny could be replaced with someone with a little more current knowledge would be good but who? The best candidates are racing and those that arent have probably gone off to do a proper job! Peaty might be good for it if he retires but he is basically the same age as Rob just a bit more current.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    As much as I like Peaty, I don't think he makes a great presenter. He falls foul of that weird trap people get into where they try and put on an interesting "voice for television" - but all they do is start off a bit aussie, going up in pitch at the end of a sentence, then they stay in a monotone higher than normal speaking voice for the duration. Pagey does it too. It's all too common, and can turn a normally engaging speaker into a rabbit-in-the-headlights droning bore.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    There's a fine line between making something exciting and going over the top and shouting. Rob Warner does tend to shout quite a lot. Even when he’s talking to someone next to himself.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20