GP4000S

diy
diy Posts: 6,473
edited June 2013 in Road general
Is anyone else having more than their fair share of punctures on these tyres? I have been running a pair for about 4 months and am getting a puncture every 200-250ish miles. I've check the tyres there is nothing stuck in there and the punctures are all in different places. They just don't seem to be too tough. Got one today so bad that I had to find a bike shop to buy a new tyre. Unfortunately the only shops open were the we saw you coming bike shops, so ended up paying list for Michelin Pro 4 Endurance.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Not really, found them to be excellent.

Sh1t happens with tyres. Suck it up, move on. You'll be hard pressed to find a better compromise of resilience and performance than the GP4000S.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Don't say that...I've just put a set on after positive reviews and reduction in punctures. What width are you running 23 or 25?

Could you not have put a crisp packet or carry part of an old tyre that you could have put in to allow you to just get home?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Been using GP4000S 23s for about 6 months of daily commuting and weekend rides, had a fair few punctures but mostly in the wet - in the dry I find them quite reliable. Once I noticed my rear tyre had a massive chunk of rubber missing from the tyre, about 7cm or so. I had been skidding a few times on them when I've had to slam on the breaks on occasion, so I figured it had to be due to that... still was a bit surprised, I'd assumed if anything it might wear the rubber down, not tear a massive chunk out of it. It's possible that I happened to skid on some glass... not sure. Either way I put that down to a freak occurrence and rebought the tyre, and noted to take care to avoid skidding in the future. Also occasionally and especially after rides in the wet and before a longer ride I'll deflate the tyres and pick out anything stuck in them... bits of glass, rock, etc.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Haven't had any punctures on my road bike this year, and it only ever gets GP4000S. Are you quite sure you've covered all the likely offenders for repeat punctures? I.e. bits of concealed glass, inadequate/incorrectly fitted rim tape, burrs on the holes in the rim etc. etc.?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    5000km on one set of GP4000S and no punctures so far...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,614
    Erm...no, in a word.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    No problems is probably ~2500-3000 miles...

I think they're excellent.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Take a look at Continental's web site http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/road.shtml
    GP400S is a "competition" tyre, yes they claim good puncture resistance - for that class of tyre - but if you want longer life and better resilience then Continental recommend their 4 Seasons.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    4000S are puncture resistant but not certainly not puncture proof, i,m on my 5th set now and over 25,000 ish miles on them ive had something like 5 punctures i think which is certainly not bad.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Sounds like bad luck, mate. My dry bike wears GP4000S 25c and the wet bike GP 4 Seasons 25c. Each pair of tyres has done 1500 miles. The dry bike has had no p*******s, the wet bike has had two.
  • potters1863
    potters1863 Posts: 111
    diy wrote:
    Is anyone else having more than their fair share of punctures on these tyres? I have been running a pair for about 4 months and am getting a puncture every 200-250ish miles. I've check the tyres there is nothing stuck in there and the punctures are all in different places. They just don't seem to be too tough. Got one today so bad that I had to find a bike shop to buy a new tyre. Unfortunately the only shops open were the we saw you coming bike shops, so ended up paying list for Michelin Pro 4 Endurance.

Tried a set last year following good reviews, had 2 punctures in 2 weeks. Gone back to my Vittoria evo corsa tyres, very good for puncture resistance for such a race tyre, get good wear, 2 sets last me 12 months, low rolling resistance, good grip and very comfortable ride. I'm sticking with the Vittoria's they're brilliant, the best tyre I've tried.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,ve had no punctures upto now. I have been using GP4000S tyres for a number of years and they have been excellent.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    I swapped from Ultremos (they cut up too easily) to the GP4000S and so far no punctures and they're holding up a lot better than the Ultremos. The rubber is a little harder and they weigh a little more but seem much more solid.

Check your Rims/tape. If you're getting punctures regularly and not finding holes/foreign objects in the tyres then it could be the wheels at fault.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,614
    Go Tubeless ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    More than two years on GP4000S and only one puncture in that time - and that was a pinch flat (my fault). If you are flatting regularly on these tyres, the problem lies elsewhere.
  • deadhead1971
    deadhead1971 Posts: 338
    nearly 2000 miles on my first set of GP4000s tyres and no punctures yet. They're fantastic, and seem a lot more durable than the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's I replaced.
    I'll definitely be buying them again.
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    You've done the right thing already and bought the Michelin B-)
  • TheCoo'sTail
    TheCoo'sTail Posts: 113
    They are excellent IMO. I've had 1 puncture in 2 years and even then I suspect I may have been partly responsible due to me being a bit lazy and running them a bit soft on that occasion. It was also the day after a really heavy 12 hours of rain and the very minor roads around my way had a lot of stones, mud etc etc washed onto them from the surrounding fields. I suppose I was asking for trouble.

I've recommended them to a lot of guys I know also and too sing their praises.
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    Just to balance it up a bit I bought a set, done 1000 miles now, 2 punctures in the first 200 miles and they cut up badly.

I suspect it is more down to the flints and rubbish on Hampshire lanes but I would not say they are any more puncture resistant than any other tyre I have used. I regularly swap front for rear to balance out wear.

Jury is still out as to whether I would buy another set.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    binsted wrote:
    I regularly swap front for rear to balance out wear.

Not really necessary. Just let the rear wear out, put the front tyre on the rear and a new tyre on the front.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Not really. And I've taken them down some punishing gravel paths and they coped really well.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Had mine for a couple of months and no punctures as yet, keep them at high pressure though, 100-110 psi.

I did find them a complete bitch to get on the rim though compared to any tyre i've ever had.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    binsted wrote:
    Just to balance it up a bit I bought a set, done 1000 miles now, 2 punctures in the first 200 miles and they cut up badly.

I suspect it is more down to the flints and rubbish on Hampshire lanes but I would not say they are any more puncture resistant than any other tyre I have used. I regularly swap front for rear to balance out wear.

Jury is still out as to whether I would buy another set.

Same here, I've done about 1000 miles on mine, then weekend before last coming down off the top of the southdowns near East Meon, got a small flint shard about 5mm long right through to the inner tube. :(
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Just got 4000S on my bike, done maybe 200 miles so far, so can't really say about punctures. Mine were a doddle to get on though! Had a nightmare with a Gatorskin back in October, 50 mile ride in the Brighton area, pissed it down after about 30 mins for the rest of the ride, got 3 punctures in about 5 miles near Plumpton (there was so much cack being washed off the fields onto the lanes) and the tyre was a complete bastard to get off. Broke 3 tyre levers!
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    Covered 1500 on mine up to now no problems...very grippy, good rolling too

Just bought pair of michelin pro 4's for my new wheels...only reason being is that Chain reaction have them 47% off with free pair tubes...only time will tell if they are as good
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Mine were 23c, running at 100ps and they replaced the original Ultra sport (budget tyre) that came on the bike. Each flat has been an external object, so it could be a case of the excessively wet roads we have been having up until now. I did attempt to patch the tyre, but due to the angle of the cut (running in-line with the tread pattern) I just lost more rubber after another mile or so.

I probably could have limped home, but I was really enjoying the pace of the ride and didn't want to ride the next 25 miles at a crawl.

It seems on balance that most people have had positive experiences with them.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    ~2000 miles. First was after the farmers trimmed the hedgerows and got a thorn stuck in the rear tyre. 2nd was a pinch flat from not installing the tyre properly after the first puncture. :lol: Excellent tyres imo.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Faultless never had an issue. Run 100psi front 110psi rear.
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    Just bought a set of 25's and although only done 100miles as good as my Schwalbe ultremos, no perceptable difference in weight but FAR more comfortable. To the OP I would be checking for a fault with your wheels if your getting regular punctures like you describe and would replace the tyre as a matter of course.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    kayo74 wrote:
    Faultless never had an issue. Run 100psi front 110psi rear.

Ditto, great tyres.

Run Conti 4s in the winter, really like those as well.