My First 100k Ride

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Well, finally I did a 100k ride today;
http://app.strava.com/activities/59230872

I went with the Redditch cycle club and finally managed the big numbers. I know it wasn't fast but still, 100k is 100k.
I was going well and felt comfortable to the 80k mark but the last 20 hurt, the last 5 really hurt, not sure I would feel like knocking one of these out on a weekly basis but glad its over.
Living MY dream.

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Well done, the ironic thing is that when you go faster you'll be sat in the saddle less and probably won't hurt as much! Also, did you stop for over an hour? Getting going again must have been hard and maybe didn't help!

Keep it up!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,086
    he went to the pub :)
  • VTech
    We had a stop at Wellesbourne Airfield cafe.
    Cup of tea and sandwich.
    Getting going again was an issue, it hurt for a few km but soon got going. The main issue was the final 20k, it really started to hurt and I was nearly thinking of dropping out but mustered enough to get home, very chuffed I did it.
    Living MY dream.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Well done!

Not surprised you found it painful with an average cadence of 60. I'd be on crutches if I did that. :cry:
  • supermurph09
    ^^^^^^^I mentioned the cadence before, it looks like you are pushing too hard a gear??
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    well done vtech,cracking ride.Also think super murph is right about the cadence.Kudos
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • VTech
    What should I be looking at ?
    Living MY dream.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    VTech wrote:

Whatever feels right and comfortable to YOU
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Not an expert but around 90 seems the ball park.Plus as you start getting more and more tired spinning a lower gear will help lower the fatique level.
    I use a hrm and it clearly indicates when im pushing a higher gear with an elevated heart rate.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    VTech wrote:

Minimum 80 is where you should start and once you have that established you'll be able to find what works best.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

I think the problem is that I'm not really comfortable. My upper neck and between my shoulders ache as well as my knees. I was out of the saddle more than the norm but I do feel I'm in the wrong gear too often as well.
    Living MY dream.
  • supermurph09
    everyone is different and of course the terrain makes a huge difference but given the pains you mentioned why not give it a try. You bought the new chainset, so you have more range than before??
  • Grill
    Pain in the knees along with a lot of time out of the saddle is indicative of pushing too big a gear. Start with a 20 miler and aim for 80. It takes some practice and getting used to, but you'll be surprised by how easily you adapt and how much fresher you feel.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I think the problem is that I'm not really comfortable. My upper neck and between my shoulders ache as well as my knees. I was out of the saddle more than the norm but I do feel I'm in the wrong gear too often as well.

But the ache in your neck and shoulders isn't down to cadence is it? That's just being on the bike longer than normal.

I'm no expert and frustratingly finding it hard to get out on my bike this year.. But I think cadence is like a running style. You have a style thats best for you. Michael Johnson would never have been taught to run like he did, and no doubt early in his career had coaches trying to tell him to run differently. But he still became a world champion, multiple Olympic gold medalist and world record holder. I think the same applies to cycling styles. I don't have a particularly high cadence. I've tried cycling at a higher cadence but it just doesn't feel right to me and it becomes all I think about when I am cycling.

And congrats on the 100km.
  • Jon_1976
    VTech wrote:
    VTech wrote:

The hardest thing is to learn to smooth out your pedalling technique at high cadence so you're not bouncing out of the saddle. I practiced this a lot as I've got a gammy left knee and prolonged seated low cadence work is pretty painful for me. As Grill said, 80 should be a minimum but its different for everyone. For me, anything below 85 feels like mashing. 90-95 seems to be my ideal, I have no problem staying at 97-100 for long periods if my legs are feeling tired but its not very efficient (for me).
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep nice work keep it up and as others have said ride what's comfortable to you. It gets marginally better so im told :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    Congrats, broke my 100k virginity today too http://app.strava.com/activities/59181371

Bruised my feet underneath something chronic, guess i have the cleats too far back, using mtb shoes and spds so I think I'll invest in some road shoes and pedals before the next one.

Congrats again!
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Well done :D

It won't feel as bad next time, but I agree with the others, bring your cadence up a bit, it's far better.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    VTec. Well done on the ride. It is a notable milestone and quite an achievement.

I have sent you a PM about further rides.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,137
    VTech wrote:

i'd aim for 70 minimum, grinding up long hills isn't so good for the knees, drop to lower gear, consider doing some specific training, hill repeats for instance, not fun but it works

developing leg speed+power takes time and training, 80s should be easy enough, 90-100+ needs more application

benefits of higher cadence are reduced strain on knees etc., it does increase load on heart/lungs a bit, but these recover from overload much faster than legs, so it can help if you're trying to keep up with a group and find you struggle on accelerations
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've actually been concentrating on lower gears and higher cadence on all my 'climbs' recently. It's frustrating with the speed loss at the moment but I know it's good training and definitely saving my knees!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jon_1976
    I've actually been concentrating on lower gears and higher cadence on all my 'climbs' recently. It's frustrating with the speed loss at the moment but I know it's good training and definitely saving my knees!

Same here, I'd rather have the feeling my lungs are about to pop rather than grinding my knee caps into dust.
  • VTech
    I'm going to try and get a few rides done this week at higher cadence.
    Living MY dream.
  • Congratulations. A good milestone to achieve (or should that be kilometre stone?).

I've found 2 things about my own riding. If you keep doing the longer rides they definitely get easier, but it doesn't take much of a break to get back to square one. Secondly, my cadence has naturally risen the more miles I've clocked up. As others have said, it can be good to practise at a higher cadence because it both encourages a smooth pedalling technique and also makes it much easier on the joints.

Anyway, you deserve to give yourself a pat on the back for getting from where you were when you just recently started out to where you are now.
  • VTech
    Thank you, I feel incredibly chuffed with myself, I know may people do this weekly but still, im overjoyed.
    I will try and get a few 50-60k rides in over the next few weeks, im actually really enjoying the cycling.
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    VTech wrote:
    Thank you, I feel incredibly chuffed with myself, I know may people do this weekly but still, im overjoyed.
    I will try and get a few 50-60k rides in over the next few weeks, im actually really enjoying the cycling.

This is the most important thing you've ever posted. :wink:
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    But I think cadence is like a running style. You have a style thats best for you. Michael Johnson would never have been taught to run like he did, and no doubt early in his career had coaches trying to tell him to run differently. But he still became a world champion, multiple Olympic gold medalist and world record holder. I think the same applies to cycling styles.
    So there you go VTech - you may soon be the cycling equivalent to Michael Johnson!!! :lol::lol:

TDF next year, Olympics in 2016!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • VTech
    TheFD wrote:
    But I think cadence is like a running style. You have a style thats best for you. Michael Johnson would never have been taught to run like he did, and no doubt early in his career had coaches trying to tell him to run differently. But he still became a world champion, multiple Olympic gold medalist and world record holder. I think the same applies to cycling styles.
    So there you go VTech - you may soon be the cycling equivalent to Michael Johnson!!! :lol::lol:

TDF next year, Olympics in 2016!!

If im alive in 2016 ill be happy :)
    TBH, I could set a goal of being 13st7lb by the time the TDF starts next year, maybe thats a goal worth having ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    If it's important to you then it's a goal worth having.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Grill wrote:
    If it's important to you then it's a goal worth having.
    Which goal are we talking...
    VTech wrote:
    If im alive in 2016 ill be happy :)
    TBH, I could set a goal of being 13st7lb by the time the TDF starts next year, maybe thats a goal worth having ?

Being alive in 2016? Or weighing 13st 7lb for TDF next year?

Go for both!! :lol:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac