am i missing something?

13»

Comments

• No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    It also demonstrates a misunderstanding of bicycle engineering at a fundamental level.
    You know I don't like it when people spout made-up shite.

:)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    welshkev wrote:
    Huh? You quoted me then :?
    ah, hang on, i was only getting the text and no graphics, i appear to have got confuddled quite considerably.
    I do apologise.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No Sweat wrote:
    It also demonstrates a misunderstanding of bicycle engineering at a fundamental level.
    You know I don't like it when people spout made-up shite.

:)
    Have I really not explained enough times to you why it is a travesty? It's not useful blue sky thinking, it's being different just for the sake of being different.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    Eh? Who's Andy? :?
    Andy

Never met him, why would you think I hate him? Confused. :?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    Andy

Wait, you mean you DON'T default to hating people you've never met, so that you're never disappointed?
    That's just weird.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    Andy

Confused? So is Andy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    I'm not that kind of confused, lol...
  • Kowalski675
    My local shop has one of these in, but I'm not entirely sure what it's for, lol..

hooligan-1.jpg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The rock? It's useful for balancing bikes on to take product photos. No idea what that green thing is though, but based on this thread, I reckon it's a device to extract money from penii.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    where the hell do you buy 1 metre seatposts??
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For heavens sake, 1 metre seatpost shops obviously!

That's one seriously slack head angle - rad dude.....

Back on topic, "Vive la difference" I say, it's bike, they want to ride it, so let them, who cares what it costs if you don't want one, 1p is too dear!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    it's [a] bike, they want to ride it, so let them
    That's fair enough, but false claims of engineering superiority is shite, no matter what the price.
  • You could either say that the designs lack of widespread commercial success proves its a flawed concept with no advantages, or alternatively you can believe that it didn't revolutionise bicycle design because most people are narrow minded plebs who dismiss anything different out of hand.........

Moulton also designed the original rubber cone suspension on the mini - that never took over from leaf or coil springs either, but a well sorted classic mini on the rally spec rubber cones is still one of the seminal driving experiences IMHO.

On the other hand there's plenty of examples of engineering innovation which where initially dismissed out of hand by 'experts' which did go on to change the game. Enzo Ferrari laughed when John Cooper started putting the engine behind the driver in his Grand Prix cars. Two years later everyone was playing catch up and copying Coopers design. Similarly Colin Chapman's concept of a monocoque chassis which incorporated the engine as a stressed member was deemed too revolutionary for its own good when it first appeared.

I also remember plenty of people saying any front forks over 40mm of travel were pointless, and rear suspension was only for downhillers and would never catch on for xc or trail riders.

Bring back the Girvin Flexstem I say, and anybody who disagrees is obviously a plum of the highest order. :D
    http:\\www.thedecliningcyclist.wordpress.com
    One mans battle with mediocrity and his declining physical powers.........
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You could either say that the designs lack of widespread commercial success proves
    That most people don't want to spend £5K on a bike, among other things.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a Girvin Flexstem on a bike, to go with the mighty Biopace chainrings. Both are pretty sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools