My first 10 mile TT

13»

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Going well then?

If you haven't used one, get a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor). You may find this is the next best 'bang for your buck' on the speed/ cost scale. Do a Threshold Test, find your threshold heart rate, then do a TT and get up to THR but don't go above it until the last mile....should help prevent going off too quick and paying the price later on...

PP
  • retrobike007
    retrobike007 Posts: 215
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Going well then?

If you haven't used one, get a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor). You may find this is the next best 'bang for your buck' on the speed/ cost scale. Do a Threshold Test, find your threshold heart rate, then do a TT and get up to THR but don't go above it until the last mile....should help prevent going off too quick and paying the price later on...

PP

I have one but don't use it, :oops:
    The battery went and I have not bothered to replace it, never found it to be reliable, its keeps jumping all over the place.
  • retrobike007
    Going to have a go at the club 25 tonight, that does sound like hard work
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Going well then?

PP

The battery went and I have not bothered to replace it, never found it to be reliable, its keeps jumping all over the place.

not tight enough around your chest? (you did wear it against your chest right?! ;) )
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Going to have a go at the club 25 tonight, that does sound like hard work

Our club did a hilly 22 ... boy that was hard work ...
  • retrobike007
    Slowbike wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Going well then?

PP

not tight enough around your chest? (you did wear it against your chest right?! ;) )
    Yes, if it was any tighter it would have cut off circulation, and still got dodgy readings, maybe I need to get the razor out :oops:
  • retrobike007
    1 hour 8 mins, not too bad for my first 25

Was aiming for 1 hr 15 so I did better that I thought. 8)
  • retrobike007
    I have done it, 8)

Broke my 25 minute block.

Knocked 27 seconds off my previous best time of 25.02 last night and came 2nd overall.

So new target is now 24.00. but happy with my performance last night.

Just thought I would share :D
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Nice work.
    I did my first ever 10 last week in 26.21 and reckon that's not bad for a 47 year old with 30 years of smoking (gave up a few years back). Looking forward to my next TT.
  • rhysyd
    rhysyd Posts: 141
    wouldnt times vary? what if done ten mile down hill/flats?
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    rhysyd wrote:
    wouldnt times vary? what if done ten mile down hill/flats?

There's a big difference between courses a couple of weeks ago I did a short 24 on a single carriageway course and last night I did a 21:42 on a dual carriage way. It's more about the flow of traffic and road surface than hills because most courses are flat or you have to go up what you've gone down.
  • Well the club championship has ended for the year, and we have a tie for the win, so that makes me 3rd in my first season, so pretty happy with that.

I will be concentrating my training based around 10 and 25 miles TTs over the winter so next year should be a good one, I hope :D
  • Usget
    Usget Posts: 19
    I'm planning on improving my power over the winter and having a go at a few TTs next year. I had a trial run on my old road bike on the local course (not during an event - I didn't want to embarrass myself!) and came up with 26:09, which surprised me - so this weekend I'm going to put the clip-ons on my new, more aero bike, and see if I can break into the 25s.

I've told myself if I can ever hit 24 dead on my road bike I shall buy a TT bike. Let's see...