• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Nice one and thats a cracking time aswel..kudos
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • retrobike007
    retrobike007 Posts: 215
    elderone wrote:
    Nice one and thats a cracking time aswel..kudos

Thanks, someone said that was a good time for a first go, so I know what to beat next week, I will have to start looking for a TT bike, I did this on my normal road bike. :)
  • Im 45 and have only just started to cycle . Only use my turbo...... I have done 3 tts on my hybrid in the garage 31 27.30 and 26.50 are my times.
  • retrobike007
    Im 45 and have only just started to cycle . Only use my turbo...... I have done 3 tts on my hybrid in the garage 31 27.30 and 26.50 are my times.

You did the tts on your turbo?
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Im 45 and have only just started to cycle . Only use my turbo...... I have done 3 tts on my hybrid in the garage 31 27.30 and 26.50 are my times.

TT's are where you enter, pay and turn up to race.
  • markos1963
    I have just done my first ever 10 mile TT

26.59 min Pretty happy with that, just wanted to share :D

Excellent first effort. be very careful, it gets addictive :wink:
  • retrobike007
    markos1963 wrote:

Already hooked. Started looking for tt bikes last night on eBay lol
  • markos1963
    markos1963 wrote:

:mrgreen:
  • markos1963 wrote:

Is that statement correct! I assumed doing a 10mile timed effort against my previous times would be classed as a time trial. I certainly never new it (had) to be an entered event. I thought any track could be used to compare your times.

Im happy just now as it is. My bike , turbo , garage and myself.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731

LOL!

If you're on a tight budget, the Canyon speedmax AL looks pretty good value, £2k with Reynolds Assult carbon aero wheels :shock:

I'm seriously tempted to get one myself ;)
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731

Good for you mate, keep at it, if it's not on the road, it doesn't officially count as a result, but if you're doing it solely for your own satisfaction (and lets face it, most TT riders are), then do whatever TT style you feel is right for you, so long as you have the same resistance level set on the trainer for each TT, any gain you see is a good thing.
  • retrobike007

LOL!

If you're on a tight budget, the Canyon speedmax AL looks pretty good value, £2k with Reynolds Assult carbon aero wheels :shock:

Tighter than than that. Looking under 600 for something 2nd hand really.
  • markos1963

LOL!

I got an Orbea Ora for £650 from ebay. Some of the stuff on it I didn't need(wheels, some bars and shifters the owner threw in etc) so I sold them on to others and got £150 back. So £600 is doable, don't get carried away by price though and forget about sizing which is critical on a TT bike. Err on the small size if in doubt.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 wrote:

Is that statement correct! I assumed doing a 10mile timed effort against my previous times would be classed as a time trial. I certainly never new it (had) to be an entered event. I thought any track could be used to compare your times.

Good for you. But a TT is an event that is entered anything else is training. Turbo work is very good for TTs as it gives you a reference point that doesn't change(hills, wind, temp etc) but it doesn't really replicate race conditions. Get along to a local Club 10TT one weekday evening, it's a very friendly scene. they won't mind what you ride, RR,TT, hybrid or even mountain bike. You don't need a licence, just a couple of quid and you're racing!
  • retrobike007
    markos1963 wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

Good for you. But a TT is an event that is entered anything else is training. Turbo work is very good for TTs as it gives you a reference point that doesn't change(hills, wind, temp etc) but it doesn't really replicate race conditions. Get along to a local Club 10TT one weekday evening, it's a very friendly scene. they won't mind what you ride, RR,TT, hybrid or even mountain bike. You don't need a licence, just a couple of quid and you're racing!

Thats exactly what I did last night. ;-)
  • retrobike007
    markos1963 wrote:

LOL!

I got an Orbea Ora for £650 from ebay. Some of the stuff on it I didn't need(wheels, some bars and shifters the owner threw in etc) so I sold them on to others and got £150 back. So £600 is doable, don't get carried away by price though and forget about sizing which is critical on a TT bike. Err on the small size if in doubt.

My road bike is a 52 so I am assuming a 56 tt bike will be too big? My wife has a 48cm spesh allez, I might have to 'borrow' that and set it up as my tt bike for now
  • markos1963
    markos1963 wrote:

LOL!

My road bike is a 52 so I am assuming a 56 tt bike will be too big? My wife has a 48cm spesh allez, I might have to 'borrow' that and set it up as my tt bike for now

56 is definitely too big, I ride a 56road bike and 56 is too big for me on a TT frame
  • Well done, that sounds a good effort, i was out tootling last night and ended up in the middle of Seamons cc Champ10 or something, with some seriously quick peddlars flying past me! Looked alot of fun for quickies
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Well done, that sounds a good effort, i was out tootling last night and ended up in the middle of Seamons cc Champ10 or something, with some seriously quick peddlars flying past me! Looked alot of fun for quickies

That would've sounded a darn site better if you'd flown past some TTers ... ;)
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I started road biking 3 years ago in my mid 40s. Last year I did my first 10 TT on my road bike in 25:15. I caught the bug, bought an ebay bargain and started TTing proper. Fastest 10 last season was a 22:40, which is not bad for a first year.

Just did a 25 PB on Tuesday and was chuffed to break the hour for the first time with a 58:59. Doing a VTTA 50 on Saturday, hoping to beat my PB of 2:07:21 from last year. This TT thing does get addictive! :wink:

PP
  • retrobike007
    Going to have another go on Wednesday on rested legs as I did a 27 mile hilly ride tue and had done a 60 mile sportive on Sunday. So may have a 20 miler today and then lay off it till wed. See if I can beat my time
  • pilot_pete
    Going to have another go on Wednesday on rested legs as I did a 27 mile hilly ride tue and had done a 60 mile sportive on Sunday. So may have a 20 miler today and then lay off it till wed. See if I can beat my time

Uh oh, you're taking it seriously! :wink:

Just smashed my PB for 50 miles; 1:59:46....broke the two hour barrier....well chuffed! Good luck Wednesday, let us know how you get on. You'll soon be pacing your effort correctly and shaving minutes off :wink: ...

PP
  • Finally took the plunge and with aerobars went sub 25.

Now hooked. Gives good focus to train for etc.

Promised myself if i go sub 24 ill get a tt bike- which one i have no idea- so much choice in the 2k and under bracket.

Dolan/ boardman/ planet x etcetc

Any recommendations?
  • retrobike007
    I have thought about getting a tt bike.
    When I started riding this year I was 17st 7lbs. At the moment I am down to 15st 5lbs. If I can get to 14st 7 I will buy a tt bike. Thats my motivation. By that point I hope to be hitting the low 25 mins
  • pilot_pete
    Remember you don't have to buy a new TT bike. There are plenty of secondhand bikes on the market. They don't tend to get that much wear compared to a road bike and you can pick up a real bargain. I got a Scott Plasma with Campag Record, Zipp carbon cranks and rear disc, front HED Tri-spoke, carbon saddle, bars etc for £2k. New two years earlier this was a £5k+ bike.

I now spend a bit here and there on upgrades/ maintenance and in the next year or two may buy a more up to date frame and forks, probably with integrated brakes. This year I am doing all my club TTs and lots of open events too, especially looking at progressing to a hundred miler...

It is a great form of social racing, even though you ride against yourself! Tea and biscuits on a grassy verge talking bikes and times and kit on a sunny evening is why I do it.... :D

PP
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    And another option is just to buy a frame/set initially, and build from there: - dirt cheap, perfectly adequate:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRP ... rial_frame

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48266

For a rear disc, get a 50 or 60 rear tubby and put some covers on it. Position on the bike trumps equipment, so you can build on a budget and still end up with a decent machine.
  • pilot_pete
    ^^^^ well said. Really addicted now...just done my 3rd PB in 7 days - tonight's club 10 in 22:10, beat my previous by 30 seconds....! Biggest smile and probably my best week cycling ever....well perhaps except a week in the Pyrenees last year...

PP
  • retrobike007
    have been looking at both of those 2nd hand on eBay. And they are selling for more 2nd hand thsn your 2 links sre advertising them new. There are some right numptys out there ;-)
    Mettan wrote:
    And another option is just to buy a frame/set initially, and build from there: - dirt cheap, perfectly adequate:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRP ... rial_frame

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48266

For a rear disc, get a 50 or 60 rear tubby and put some covers on it. Position on the bike trumps equipment, so you can build on a budget and still end up with a decent machine.
  • retrobike007
    Just had a quick look round on the px website.
    Step away from the credit card! !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nickoo
    Nickoo Posts: 85
    only problem is that you can get much better time on a turbo/roller than actually on the road as there no wind