Decent climb sought in Berkshire

deejay.
deejay. Posts: 665
Hi all,

We've recently moved to Thatcham, West Berkshire, from Somerset, and having lived near (and infrequently trained in) the Mendips I'm looking for a good climb to train on nearby. The run up to Upper Bucklebury and Cold Ash are too short - I'm looking for another Shipham Hill or Burrington Combe (Wiggle riders will know them well). Any ideas gratefully received!

Cheers,

deej
He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depends how far you want to go out. Watership Down is reasonable, from the Whitchurch side. 2-3 routes to choose from there. Some good climbs out beyond Henley - but generally the area is not known for its hills.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Streatley Hill is about 13 miles from Thatcham. A little further afield there are plenty of hills around Watlington. Hill Road, Kingston Hill,Aston Hill
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Have a look on the map for a road running SE between Kintbury and the A343 that runs through Inkpen and East Woodhay. There are 2-3 roads that run SW off that road that take you up into Inkpen Hill and the Combes and will give you 6-7 mins of stiff climbing which is about the best you can expect for Berkshire-Hampshire.

Other than that the suggestion above for Watership Down is good.
  • deejay.
    deejay. Posts: 665
    Cheers all. I need to up my mileage and get out to some of these places, so will try a few out.

deej
    He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you head Pangbourne, Goring way theres a few climbs you can link together i.e. north of Pangbourne through Whitchurch, drop down in Goring, cross the river and up Streatley and then back around where there's a few small lanes you can link together. If you drop down into Hampshire, there's White Hill south of Kingsclere and then you can head back up to Hannington.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Thre are also a few hills round Henley way that are very reachable.
    Rich
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've sent you a PM.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved