re spray paint finish help?

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Not just decals - anything fake carbon is an abomination, a crime against humanity, and will guarantee you never get laid, lol.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    So let me get this straight, your analogy is this >> Fake carbon = Virgin for life. :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    Yup. Look at it from a woman's point of view - would you get your knickers off for a man who has fake carbon on his bike (or anywhere else)? It's not an analogy though.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Im not rich enough to get real carbon odds and ends. Hell im having a job getting the bits together for the build, using budget and free stuff for half of it. I bought my frame in March and im missing quite a few parts still.

Hopefully i can make up for the fake carbon by riding well? :P
  • Kowalski675
    Nothing makes up for fake carbon. I'm not rich either - good taste costs nothing.
  • CUBEical
    CUBEical Posts: 211
    who cares get what ever you want its not fake carbon its an carbon finish , who gives a shit as-long as he is happy with it its like saying you should not paint something silver as its not real silver just does not make sense
    I am sorry if I talk to much s@#t it goes with the name.............
  • Kowalski675
    CUBEical wrote:
    who cares get what ever you want its not fake carbon its an carbon finish

It's fake carbon, and it's the very definition of gash, lol.
  • gt-arrowhead
    edited June 2013
    Cheers cube.

Im actually starting to have second thoughts about my image now. Reason being that i dont know if i can be bothered going through the spraying, and i think its going to be a bit too flash, and as i said before my paint is fine. Im thinking about putting these on in various places http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-RACE-FACE- ... 2575cb395d , and just go for red for my not yet acquired bits. Like i could get a red headset, red caliper bolts, spray my adaptor red etc. The seat im using has red on it, even has red rails, and red wellgo pedals. So i think it would look alright without all the carbon blah blah i mentioned and the grey spray paint finish.

What do you guys think i should do?
  • CUBEical
    that link is to a really nice car ??
  • gt-arrowhead
    Hahahaha. Omg. My bad. I was showing a mate that. I thought i copied the eBay link. Ill edit it.
  • CUBEical
    was gonner say if your sticking that on your bike for with parts you have been given lol can you send them my way
  • gt-arrowhead
    As much as i would love to attach a 2014 Camaro Z28 to a bike, im neither that rich or stupid :lol:
  • gt-arrowhead
    Just searched for this thread again. Thought it would be better than just making a new thread.

Basically, the question ive got is this:

I have some "Matt white" paint. I want it to spray a fork. Ive also got some lacquer. I want a gloss finish, so would using the lacquer over the Matt White paint give me a gloss finish? I cant see why not to be honest...but i got a feeling it might look a bit weird. Should i buy another can of Gloss white? Or would matt white and lacquer give me the same or very similar finish?
  • CUBEical
    I am no expert but i am guessing you could tell the difference. as the matt paint with lacquer on it would just look like that matt paint with clear coat over the top, and the white gloss would look glossy with a clear coat over it ,I can see the difference in finish in mine ie white gloss against blue matt, on my frame. I would spray it with the matt. then clear coat doing all the relevant things like sanding and all that, see what you think of it.if you like it then great if not sand it down a bit get some gloss one or two coats then clear coat at least you not wasting money when you do not know if what you got will work ?
  • gt-arrowhead
    Cheers, ill give it a try. Ill be making a build thread hopefully tomorrow so you should be able to see the outcome :D
  • Kowalski675
    I would imagine that with the gloss lacquer over the top the white will just look like gloss white - metallics are matt until you put the lacquer on, after all.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Luckily i actually found some gloss white in the shed, so the matt white was not used :D
  • For what its worth..........

Many , many years ago I had an Austin Allegro resprayed. I left it about 10 days for the paint to 'breath' then used 'tcut' on a small area. It started pucking the paint within 5 minutes, I eventually ended up having to wait an entire 3 weeks before I could do the whole car and thankfully the small test area was inside a door opening and relatively unoticable.

I have since used Fercla (not sure of spelling) G10 stuff and autoglym on my other cars until I sold the last one and came back to biking, I can honestly say that the Fercla stuff is brilliant but I always started with 1500 wet and dry ~ plenty of water ~ plenty of washing up liquid .... wash it all off then use the G10 with a polishing mop (saves elbow grease).... then finish it off with autoglym.

However, this is a bike were talking about... something we throw around gravel tracks, through bushes, deep mud puddles, and collecting dog s##t with. Personally I prefer to have mine mechanically sound and live with the mud and paint chippings. I dont have to worry too much about having it nicked if a leave it next to a nice shiney machine :lol: and I nearly always get a wide berth when I take it shopping in town.
  • Kowalski675
    For what its worth..........

Many , many years ago I had an Austin Allegro resprayed. I left it about 10 days for the paint to 'breath'

Was it summer? Usually an Allegro left for ten days in bad weather would just be a pile of rust when you came back to it, lol...
  • CUBEical
    For what its worth..........

Many , many years ago I had an Austin Allegro resprayed. I left it about 10 days for the paint to 'breath'

Was it summer? Usually an Allegro left for ten days in bad weather would just be a pile of rust when you came back to it, lol...

lol ouch
  • Kowalski675
    When it rained you could keep fish in your glovebox, lol. Christ, they were a shite car - they summed up everything that was so disasterously bad about the British car industry. Bonus point for anyone who knows the Allegro's unique design feature?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A stupid steering wheel - quartic if I remember correctly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But I'd prefer cake to a point.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Nope. It did have a silly steering wheel, but that's not unique.
  • cooldad
    It was more aerodynamic in reverse.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Correct.

20285.jpg?max=640
  • Cakkkeeeeeee
  • Kowalski675
    Raspberry jam spider cake. Nom nom nom.
  • cooldad
    Never seen one of those before but I do like cake.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Never seen one of those before but I do like cake.

Home made. Sponge cake with a layer of seedless raspberry jam in the middle and spiderweb pattern on the icing (hence christening it spider cake - it doesn't actually contain spiders, that would be yukky).