Home gym equipment suggestion ?

NRS_Comp1
NRS_Comp1 Posts: 63
edited December 2013 in Health, fitness & training
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at racing XC marathon and would like to include weight training to my routine, especially for the winter months. I would rather pay to get my own equipment and do everything at home instead of paying a huge amount on gym subscription. I live in an apartment so space in a bit limited so I would like to know what kind of basic equipment I would need to create a weight training routine that would be beneficial to my riding ?

Here's what I had in mind: A basic flat/inclining bench ; dumbbells with different weight combination, a bench press bar with varying weights.

Am I forgetting something ?

Any good training routine that you use that you would recommend ?

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Cheers!

Comments

• Get a medicine ball and a yoga mat.

Work on your core and then ride more!
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    What are you planning for cardio / endurance exercise, and legs?
    For exercising leg 'cycling muscles', I think the best is some type of indoor cycle trainer that can provide fairly high resistence.

I have used a 'step bench' for leg and cardio, and it can give a very good general workout, but it is not complete for 'cycling muscles'. I also do pushups for upper body strength, and various types of stretching.

Depending on how much floor space you are willing to devote, I think a cycle trainer (and a big fan) would be best. And do other strength training with body-weight exercises that don't require much equipment.

Depending on your age and condition, doing HARD exercise sessions 3 times per week with rest/easy days in between would give good results.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • NRS_Comp1
    JayKosta wrote:
    What are you planning for cardio / endurance exercise, and legs?
    For exercising leg 'cycling muscles', I think the best is some type of indoor cycle trainer that can provide fairly high resistence.

I have used a 'step bench' for leg and cardio, and it can give a very good general workout, but it is not complete for 'cycling muscles'. I also do pushups for upper body strength, and various types of stretching.

Depending on how much floor space you are willing to devote, I think a cycle trainer (and a big fan) would be best. And do other strength training with body-weight exercises that don't require much equipment.

Depending on your age and condition, doing HARD exercise sessions 3 times per week with rest/easy days in between would give good results.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

I should of mention in my first post that I already have a turbo trainer and I'm already planning to do a couple of session a week. I'm really just looking at adding a bit more weight training in my training routine, especially for the winter months,
  • Beanyman
    Beanyman Posts: 25
    All of the equpment you have listed is aimed at upper body only.

What, other than cycling are you planning to do for lower body ?

Also, are you sure the floor in your apartment can take the weight of you, your equipment and the weight you will be lifting ?

Ideally you should be looking at a power rack, bench, olympic bar, 150-200kg's of weight plates - varying from 1.25 - 20kg's. With that lot you could bench press, squat, deadlift, military press, dip, chin up all safely in your home. - £800-£1000. (look on gumtree/ebay for people selling off unwanted/unused Christmas gifts)

Alternatively, find a half decent & cheap PAYG gym with free weights and buy a couple of kettlebell for home. Build solid strength in the gym and focus on CV and general conditioning with the KB's.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    NRS_Comp1 wrote:
    I would need to create a weight training routine that would be beneficial to my riding ?

I can't think of many weight training routines that will actually benefit your kind of riding. Some exercises with your body weight will be more than adequate to build core strength.
  • NRS_Comp1
    ollie51 wrote:
    NRS_Comp1 wrote:
    I would need to create a weight training routine that would be beneficial to my riding ?

I can't think of many weight training routines that will actually benefit your kind of riding. Some exercises with your body weight will be more than adequate to build core strength.

Could you give me a link to a good routine with only body weight a minimal equipment because I'm not too familiar with those kind of exercise ?
    Beanyman wrote:
    All of the equpment you have listed is aimed at upper body only.

What, other than cycling are you planning to do for lower body ?

Also, are you sure the floor in your apartment can take the weight of you, your equipment and the weight you will be lifting ?

Ideally you should be looking at a power rack, bench, olympic bar, 150-200kg's of weight plates - varying from 1.25 - 20kg's. With that lot you could bench press, squat, deadlift, military press, dip, chin up all safely in your home. - £800-£1000. (look on gumtree/ebay for people selling off unwanted/unused Christmas gifts)

Alternatively, find a half decent & cheap PAYG gym with free weights and buy a couple of kettlebell for home. Build solid strength in the gym and focus on CV and general conditioning with the KB's.

Thanks, those a great advice and I am considering buying a couple of Kettlebell as well. Do you have a link to a chin up bar that fits between a normal door space and requires minimal installation ? Also, I believe that with only a bench and a couple of dumbbells I could do most exercise (including squats) without the Olympic bar and all the weight plate that comes with it. Thanks!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You can't squat properly without a squat rack and an Olympic bar.

If I had the space I'd just have a rack/cage and a bench. You can bench press, shoulder press, squat, deadlift and bent over row with all those. That's all you really need to do.
  • Beanyman
    Do you have a link to a chin up bar that fits between a normal door space and requires minimal installation

I have a powerbar http://www.amazon.co.uk/Innovation-Fitness-L160-Powerbar-Pull/dp/B00140TJ0M

Cheap, effective, no permanent installation required and doesn't damage the door frame.
    You can't squat properly without a squat rack and an Olympic bar

Agree 100% with this. You are just not going to get the right ROM using DB's.

There are other lower body exercises you can do with DB's:

Lunges http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBLunge.html (EASY)
    Split Squats http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/DBSplitSquat.html (EASY)
    Rear foot elevated split squats (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Squat.html (DIFFICULT)
    Pistols http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BWSingleLegSquat.html (V DIFFICULT)

If you do buy a kettlebell, then this routine is a must http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpbM9nzDcM

Body weight routine:

50 squats (deep - top of thigh parallel to the floor)
    25 press ups
    50 burpees
    25 dips (you can use 2 chairs to support your arms)
    50 lunges
    25 v-sits / v-ups (look at the KB routine link above, do the first exercise)

2 mins rest
    & repeat
    as many times as you can.

If you buy any gym equipment, list what you have and I can come up with a routine if it helps.
  • NRS_Comp1
    Beanyman wrote:
    Do you have a link to a chin up bar that fits between a normal door space and requires minimal installation

I have a powerbar http://www.amazon.co.uk/Innovation-Fitness-L160-Powerbar-Pull/dp/B00140TJ0M

Cheap, effective, no permanent installation required and doesn't damage the door frame.
    You can't squat properly without a squat rack and an Olympic bar

Agree 100% with this. You are just not going to get the right ROM using DB's.

There are other lower body exercises you can do with DB's:

Lunges http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBLunge.html (EASY)
    Split Squats http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/DBSplitSquat.html (EASY)
    Rear foot elevated split squats (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Squat.html (DIFFICULT)
    Pistols http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BWSingleLegSquat.html (V DIFFICULT)

If you do buy a kettlebell, then this routine is a must http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpbM9nzDcM

Body weight routine:

50 squats (deep - top of thigh parallel to the floor)
    25 press ups
    50 burpees
    25 dips (you can use 2 chairs to support your arms)
    50 lunges
    25 v-sits / v-ups (look at the KB routine link above, do the first exercise)

2 mins rest
    & repeat
    as many times as you can.

If you buy any gym equipment, list what you have and I can come up with a routine if it helps.

Thank you so much for such great advice.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy one of those powerbar that fits in doorway, a standard weight bench for bench press ( with the inclining option), some weight plate with dumbells bars and a 60inch barbell. Any ideas of good routine ?

Thanks again!
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    Don't buy any. If you want to do strength training rather than cardio do progressive calisthenics (bodyweight exercises):

One of the best books on the subject is teh charmingly named 'Convict Conditioning'
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Convict-Conditi ... nditioning

I've done free weights, kettlebells etc over the years, and I've found this just as good for gaining strength, and better for mobility and injury prevention.

The idea is you build up (progressive) through 6 different types of bodyweight exercises (calisthenics) that target the major muscle groups of the body
  • NRS_Comp1
    CTC wrote:
    Don't buy any. If you want to do strength training rather than cardio do progressive calisthenics (bodyweight exercises):

One of the best books on the subject is teh charmingly named 'Convict Conditioning'
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Convict-Conditi ... nditioning

I've done free weights, kettlebells etc over the years, and I've found this just as good for gaining strength, and better for mobility and injury prevention.

The idea is you build up (progressive) through 6 different types of bodyweight exercises (calisthenics) that target the major muscle groups of the body

Wonderful book suggestion, it seems to be a easy to follow and efficient training routine.

Have you personally followed the routine explained in this book ? Have you seen improvement in your riding by following the routine depicted in this book ?

Thanks again !
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I'm about half way through the progressions at the moment. Ones which are good for cycling:
    Bridge progression for lower back strength
    Leg raise progression for abdominals
    One legged squat progression for leg strength

I like the squat progression since it encourages a full range of motion on the squat, from standing to arse on the floor. Really helps with flexibility and mobility.

Difficult to say if my riding would be any worse than it is if I didn't do it :-) I had been doing weights etc for a good few years before I got back on the bike. I can say that it's the best strength type training I've done, and it doesn't encourage lots of muscle growth that some routines do. I'm just as strong doing this as when I did more traditional freeweights and was a stone and a half heavier
  • Beanyman
    I'm pretty sure I'll buy one of those powerbar that fits in doorway, a standard weight bench for bench press ( with the inclining option), some weight plate with dumbells bars and a 60inch barbell. Any ideas of good routine ?

I'd stick to using the DB's when benching, unless you have spotter catrchers on your bench ? last thing you want to do is get stuck under the bar.

A simple routine would be:

workout A
    Squats
    bench press
    stiff legged deadlift
    military press
    chinups/pullups
    +any core exercises

Workout B
    Deadlift
    dips
    lunges
    dumbbell shoulder press
    bent over rowing
    +any core exercises

Do the above 3 times a week, so A Monday, B Wednesday, A Friday ... or whatever days is better for you depending on when you ride and when you can train.

Start using low-ish weights whilst you familiarise yourself with the exercises and gain confidence performing them, then slowly add weight each session until you find a good weight for you.

Rep ranges = 3x8 is my favourite. I seem to gain size and strength, but if you are looking at strength only, I go for low reps 3-5 x3 but the weight has to be as heavy as you can manage.

Make sure you do your research on how to perform the above correctly and safely. Form is extremely important as the last thing you want to do is get injured which stops you from riding.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Get a medicine ball and a yoga mat.

Totally agree!!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

This anything else is just working on muscle definition. You dont see too many pro cyclists of any description (apart from track sprinters) totally ripped its just unnecessary and makes you too inflexible. Core strength and suppleness are what you need to work on the rest comes from work on the bike. Swimming is good for cyclists it works the muscles we dont use on the bike and is good for cardio.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Have you considered posting this question of another forum such as Bodybuilding.com or Myprotein.com's forum?

You may get a lot more specific advice regarding workouts (and they will not try and get you on steroids or make you look like this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eesi0OqJwnI/T ... der_02.jpg in the same way that we all will not try and push EPO or transfusions on you)
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Beanyman wrote:

I'd stick to using the DB's when benching, unless you have spotter catrchers on your bench ? last thing you want to do is get stuck under the bar.

A simple routine would be:

workout A
    Squats
    bench press
    stiff legged deadlift
    military press
    chinups/pullups
    +any core exercises

Workout B
    Deadlift
    dips
    lunges
    dumbbell shoulder press
    bent over rowing
    +any core exercises

Do the above 3 times a week, so A Monday, B Wednesday, A Friday ... or whatever days is better for you depending on when you ride and when you can train.

Start using low-ish weights whilst you familiarise yourself with the exercises and gain confidence performing them, then slowly add weight each session until you find a good weight for you.

Rep ranges = 3x8 is my favourite. I seem to gain size and strength, but if you are looking at strength only, I go for low reps 3-5 x3 but the weight has to be as heavy as you can manage.

Make sure you do your research on how to perform the above correctly and safely. Form is extremely important as the last thing you want to do is get injured which stops you from riding.

All the advice from this guy is total crap for cycling of any kind when you want to compete at any level so ignore this totally all you need to do through the winter is core work with a Swiss ball £20.00 and turbo sessions then as many junk mile rides through the winter as possible meaning getting out once a week low tempo high mileage. Any stupid weight training is just going to add bodyweight which you then have to drag up hills while racing.

As you come up to race season you want to be lean not carrying extra muscle bulk.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Stu Coops wrote:
    All the advice from this guy is total crap for cycling of any kind when you want to compete at any level so ignore this totally all you need to do through the winter is core work with a Swiss ball £20.00 and turbo sessions then as many junk mile rides through the winter as possible meaning getting out once a week low tempo high mileage. Any stupid weight training is just going to add bodyweight which you then have to drag up hills while racing.

As you come up to race season you want to be lean not carrying extra muscle bulk.

There is some truth in this - the workout that was suggested is a typical full body workout that would strengthen your whole body. But you are very unlikely to add huge amounts of mass unless you really up the calories and protein, and as you say you are going to be getting on the turbo I doubt you will add much mass (speaking from experience) but you will increase your power. You will obviously make some gains in weight but you should also have made some gains in power. The workouts you do will also raise your metabolic rate for the day.

I would seriously suggest you post your question on a related forum - you would not ask a fitness coach to advise you on maintaining your bike, nor should you ask a cyclist how to maintain your body. I would also ask them to get your supplements nailed too if you haven't already.

I manage to workout 3 times a week (on a very similar setup to what you suggest and I bench 28kg DB's), not gain weight and still manage to fly up the hills. The extra upper body strength is also a boost on technical sections!
  • Medicine ball and swiss ball.
    Google will turn up loads of exersises for those.
    You can do timed sessions or reps, I preffer reps of 20 and maybe 2 or 3 circuits.

Or for no equipment.
    Active yoga, like ashtanga.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    stubs wrote:

This anything else is just working on muscle definition. You dont see too many pro cyclists of any description (apart from track sprinters) totally ripped its just unnecessary and makes you too inflexible. Core strength and suppleness are what you need to work on the rest comes from work on the bike. Swimming is good for cyclists it works the muscles we dont use on the bike and is good for cardio.

Sorry but this is not really good advice

Weight training will compliment your training for XC/DH/Enduro i.e. whatever your discipline

If you spend some time researching what the pros are doing in terms of training, they are spending plenty of time in the gym focusing on the whole body

The core is very important, and yes having big biceps doesn't have much impact on your cycling performance, but dismissing weight training in general is misguided

Deadlifts, squats and bench are all key movements. Deads and squats engage so many key muscles that will help with your stability and endurance on the bike. I'm a big fan of unilateral movements too, especially with the legs, as this mirrors the movement of the legs on the bike. They also tend to engage the core muscles more due to them creating an element of instability, whereas coping with instability helps your balance, which I think we can all agree is a beneficial to riding a bike well

In terms of resource, I would recommend looking into Westside Barbell training. This focuses on power lifting primarily, and will make you stronger, which will help improve leg power. The beauty of the programme is that is allows you to incorporate other movements that focus on your longer term goals i.e. endurance, growth etc

You would need access to a decent gym though. Reality is that unless you have 1. Lots of money and 2. A decent space to train, then joining a decent gym will be for better than training at home

Look up Syatt Fitness on Google. The guy that runs it has loads of great articles on there, and he has a very easy to understand guide on Westside Barbell Training

Bodybuilding.com is great for examples of movements. They have loads of videos showing hundreds of different exercises.
  • paulc
    paulc Posts: 161
    Do have a good look on various websites for second hand home gyms... I picked one of these up for £40 apart from 2 little tears in the seat it was and still is in perfect working order.

8zqlpj.jpg
  • paulc wrote:
    Do have a good look on various websites for second hand home gyms... I picked one of these up for £40 apart from 2 little tears in the seat it was and still is in perfect working order.

8zqlpj.jpg

have wondered why they are so cheap ?

this has been answered several times, a home gym is of little use to you, as the only good way to build the/maintain the muscle groups required for cycling is cycling, for an all over fitness program not directly related to cycling your much better off with kettle bells and a Swiss ball, if you really feel the need to lift '' heavy objects objects, get a bar and a few weights, you can work your whole body with just that, or use some free thinking, fill some two litre pop bottles with water and use them to work your arms, got an old car battery ? bench press it or do squats,

if your really felling perky, take the washing machine up and down stairs a few times or find an old lady and do her garden for her
  • http://www.pinkbike.com/u/mtbstrengthcoach/channel/all/

Take a look at some of these videos. The guy has some good tips and exercises to make your workout specific to riding.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • paulc
    paulc Posts: 161
    slickmouse wrote:
    Have wondered why they are so cheap ?

My fitness has never been good so started general exercising and couldnt say no when it was offered.

As for lifting heavy stuff that is something i do a lot of and the home gym has helped with my upper body strentgh.

But what I struggle with is cardio
  • iDad
    iDad Posts: 68
    I bought a 2nd hand Elliptical Trainer (Cross Trainer) I found it quite good for the cardio and now the nights are drawing in and the lads are getting more nesh at night riding it’s gonna start to get used in anger again.

The Multi-gym I also picked up 2nd hand at the same time is starting to get a little more use now than the recent weekly workouts it’s had over the summer.

To me its motivation that I find lacking now the nights are drawing in, but I find with the gym stuff in the house now instead of the shed at the bottom of the garden it should be a little easier to get motivated than last winter 
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    kettlebell.jpg

A decent list of exercises to go with that, lots of pushups and ride when you can even if you do dull road miles.

A full body work out does help, upper body stuff is required for DH/Enduro, tone not bulk though for me I dont want to build muscle it also helps with fat loss so i can drink nore beer and eat more burgers.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Those home gym things are crap. Free weights are far better and you can do more with them

Any sort of free weights helps balance and core as well as the specific muscle group your working