Upgrade suggestions for weight

ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited June 2013 in Road general
I've got one of these

cannondale-caad-9-tiagra-compact-2010-road-bike.jpg

I've already changed wheels/tyres for nice ones & have a KCNC seatpost on order

What would you suggest changing next to lose some more weight?

Comments

• ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    For what, maximum weight loss (possibilities fairly endless), or cost/gram ratio?
  • ednino
    Well im wondering what is heavy. Tiagra cranks don't look light and im not sure about that saddle
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    edited May 2013
    Best to get an idea what the current kit weighs first, you might find the cost to weight reduction ratio a bit crap. You've already covered the best gain in the wheels and tyres.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Get a carbon seat post and a new saddle, you'll save weight and (hopefully) end up with a comfier ride (which is a better reason to upgrade than weight!).
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    You've already chosen your frame and fork, so choose some good quality, suitable wheels.

Outside of these 'fundamentals' you are at risk of wasting your money by making serious outlay to save weight, as the savings are generally minimal, and certainly less than on the aforementioned. Components and finishing kit aren't very heavy to begin with; even in cranksets there isn't that much weight to be saved - I haven't heard of any that weigh 200g. Weight is a decidedly secondary factor in cycling anyway; there are far better uses for your money than clawing back the weight of a water bottle. Buy things because they enhance your ride, not because they appease the scales.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    At a guess, I would say your saddle and seatpost weigh about 550g together.

As a guide, mine weigh just over 200, so that's 350g you could lose right there.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ednino wrote:
    What would you suggest changing next to lose some more weight?

more fibre? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm guessing the crank is the next large thing you can change, put an ultegra one on instead. Aside from that there's not a lot left - except perhaps the rider ;)
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Take a dump before you ride?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Good frame to upgrade though whether it be for bling or performance.
    Those who seem to be 'antiupgrade' probably should just pedal harder themselves :wink:
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    edited May 2013
    Chainset and as luck would have it.....I have a FSA K Light carbon one from a CAAD 10 for sale. Done >300 miles. BB30 is the work of satan and I'm fitting a Shimano adapter to my CAAD 10.

Seriously, if you're interested send me a PM. I'm stripping it from the bike this w'end and it will be in the classifieds and eBay soon after.

Edit: 310g saving over manufacturers claimed weights (903g for Tiagra and 593g for the FSA).
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Wafer thin inner tubes, best bang for the buck.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    How heavy are "you" ?
    Living MY dream.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    VTech wrote:
    How heavy are "you" ?

When people are willing to throw good money at 'upgrades' don't let common sense enter the equation :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You have the frame and forks, seat post, wheels, tyres and tubes.

The only things left are the finishing kit itmes so (brakes, sti levers, bars, stem and headset).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • drlodge
    You could ditch the 1.5kg that two full bidons weigh.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    drlodge wrote:
    This is good advice. I’m amazed at how many of my fellow road racers spend thousands of pounds making their bikes lighter with carbon and titanium nik-naks and then they load them up with two XL bottles of energy drink. You just don’t get the opportunity to drink that much in a road race. And in sportives - this is what the feed stops are for, refill your bottle!
  • drlodge
    ju5t1n wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    This is good advice. I’m amazed at how many of my fellow road racers spend thousands of pounds making their bikes lighter with carbon and titanium nik-naks and then they load them up with two XL bottles of energy drink. You just don’t get the opportunity to drink that much in a road race. And in sportives - this is what the feed stops are for, refill your bottle!

Haha tell me about it! Took my blingy 953 Super Record bike round the Burgess Hill Spring time Classic in March - 72 miles of hills, with 2x1 litre bidons. One was full for the entire journey (I refilled the first at the half way point), so an extra 1kg being lugged up and down!
    Find me on Strava
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Of course you make your bike lighter in order to carry more drinks! Some people even remove valve caps and stickers, if they want to add sugar to their drinks. :D

The heaviest parts on the bike are wheels and frame. On the wheels, you can save a little more with lighter tubes and tyres. Other heavy parts are crankset, break-handles/gear-shifters, pedals and breaks. Of course, you can find a light-weight version of pretty much every part on the bike. But in the end, it is probably cheaper to get a lighter frame instead - repeat until there is no lighter frame anymore, then look for lighter wheels, etc. Having started with a more expensive bike could have saved you a fair amount of money as well.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    The best weight saving you can do is yourself. You might be lightweight already, i don't know,but if not, start losing it! Other that that, lighter wheels should make a difference, other than that it's not really worth it at our level.
  • ednino
    VTech wrote:
    How heavy are "you" ?

60kg
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    ednino wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    How heavy are "you" ?

60kg

In which case you are required to add 20kg to your bike to even things out. :P
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ednino
    The saddle is 308g! That's got to go lol! The Specialized toupe on my other bike is more like 170g I think.

I want to keep to a Fizik saddle though. Suggestions?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    At 60kg it's probably your feather like weight that's floating you around rather than wight loss issues! :)
    Living MY dream.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ednino wrote:
    The saddle is 308g! That's got to go lol! The Specialized toupe on my other bike is more like 170g I think.

Arione cx... carbon rails ... keep an eye for reduced ones... bit overpriced full price, but got mine in March for 120£

I fit an ultra narrow saddle, however.
  • ednino
    Looks great, thanks

Im feeling some speedplay pedals after :)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Yup - saddle, seatpost, crankset, brakes, probably in that order. But light tyres and tubes (given that you've already upgraded the wheels) will make the most noticeable difference. Replace 100g+ tubes with 50g ones and 260g tyres with 200g ones and that's a quarter kilo of peripheral rotating mass straight away. Other good value places to lose a bit of weight are bottle cages and brake cable housing - alloy ones such as Nokon or Alligator iLinks if you can be bothered with the hassle (I can't), or jagwire.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    At 60kg it's probably your feather like weight that's floating you around rather than weight loss issues! :)

I have this problem, and he's got 5kgs on me! I need his heavier wheels :D

Get faster at climbing will see the biggest saving.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Other than that it's not really worth it at our level.

This is moreorless it. Once you've put the best wheels you can afford on the best frame you can afford, it's best to spend on the rest accordingly. If less than £100 saves you 2kg then go for it, but chances are it won't; upgrading cranksets and the like costs much more. All for something that will make little meaningful difference to your cycling at all...
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    ednino wrote:

Yep, looks like I wasn't far off with my 550g estimate of seat and post.

Here's how to do a 200g combo;

Ax Lightness saddle = 70g
    Use Alien carbon post, cut down, 130g.

Voila!