Repeat after me "F*CK the weather!"

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited June 2013 in Road general
I stared out of the window yesterday in the sheeting rain. I decided I was rust proof, and went out for a ride.

I had one of the best rides for ages, water streaming off me and battling the wind. I got home like I'd been hosed down, feeling really happy!

As I said to wor lass "If I waited for good weather, I'd be waiting forever"
Insert bike here:

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Agreed, I have grown to annoyed with this damn rain. However, one caveat I would apply is the wind, strong winds imo are just too dangerous.

F U C K THE WEATHER!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    foder seu tempo!

Proxy vote :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    edited May 2013
    mpatts wrote:
    I stared out of the window yesterday in the sheeting rain. I decided I was rust proof, and went out for a ride.

I had one of the best rides for ages, water streaming off me and battling the wind. I got home like I'd been hosed down, feeling really happy!

As I said to wor lass "If I waited for good weather, I'd be waiting forever"

Thats the spirit. Went out in the monsoon that was Wales yesterday, I shouted at the sky "C'mon, Is that all you've got you B*****D!"
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I said f**k the weather yesterday, wasn't feeling great, and it was a bad idea! Feeling super rubbish today now :( ....F**k the weather unless you're not feeling at least 90%
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I've just applied some rain-x to my glasses. Unfortunately, it's dried up here!
    Insert bike here:
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    im more fecked off with the wind , seems every bloody day is gusty these days.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    BBC weather showing the big sun symbol for my region on Saturday, but have to agree, there'll probably be a 20mph headwind at every turn to cancel it out.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    edited May 2013
    Only 20mph wind!, I went for a cycle the other day in a 35mph head wind with 50mph gusts. MTFU

However, I cant cycle in the rain as my Pinarello falls apart if it gets wet.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Before I started cycling, I never used to notice the wind speed and gust speed information on the Met Office weather forecast webpages.

Now I'm obssessed with them.
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    Too right, it's been very windy most days since early April or even March. Lovely and sunny here on Saturday, Met Office said <10 mph winds with no strong gusts... find myself struggling to get over 15 mph on the flat into a strong gusting headwind.

Beginning to wonder if their wind forecasts are for indoors...:-)
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    It's been the windiest (and coldest) spring here that I can remember.
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    where i am [derbyshire] we have had 4 'windless' that is winds below 5pmh gusts below 10 since January. its taken a bit a shine off when out and about
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    May has been very kind to me, my 2 big rides of the month (1 in Wessex and 1 in Wales) have had superb weather. The one in Wales was the first dry running of the event since 2004.

I think I have had one crappy commute back from cobham last week in pouring rain. But compared to previous months, it has been very agreeable really. Windy and cold, but nothing too extreme.

All depends where you are I guess, but the south east, Wessex, and Wales have all worked out well for me!

Sorry!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Are you going to move into further central europe?

You already escaped england's glorious weather!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • T U R B O
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Just arrived back in the UK a few hours ago and had cycled in Dunai @ 48 degrees and Abu Dhabi @ 51 degrees and thought the same myself, feck the weather :)
    I found the first ride very easy as I used ice in my drink but the second was hard and ended up nothing more than a leasurly ride as my drink was like a hot cup of tea within 15 mins so undrinkable.

I've arrived back to constant rain and again, was thinking feck the weather as my builders haven't worked much since I've been away due to the weather.
    I can't seem to win.
    Living MY dream.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    NITR8s wrote:
    Only 20mph wind!, I went for a cycle the other day in a 35mph head wind with 50mph gusts. MTFU

disintegrates if you hose it clean or so ive heard
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    NITR8s wrote:

Ohhhh, so that's why Wiggins sucks at descending in the wet...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    Just arrived back in the UK a few hours ago and had cycled in Dunai @ 48 degrees and Abu Dhabi @ 51 degrees and thought the same myself, feck the weather :)
    I found the first ride very easy as I used ice in my drink but the second was hard and ended up nothing more than a leasurly ride as my drink was like a hot cup of tea within 15 mins so undrinkable.

I've arrived back to constant rain and again, was thinking feck the weather as my builders haven't worked much since I've been away due to the weather.
    I can't seem to win.

Always carry a tea bag :D

So how's the swimming pool coming on? :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Not good at the moment, still on the cellar and rear of the house.
    Living MY dream.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Been out the last two days and got caught in rain of varying degrees. I don't look forward riding in the rain but, if it comes along while I'm out so be it.

Somehow it seems more liberating and gives a more self-satisfying feeling for some reason.

Still prefer warm sunny rides though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I was 61k off 1000k on Strava for the May Massive; I did 25 or so on the way to work yesterday in the morning. At the end of the day I just got on the bike and the heavens opened. Could have bottled it and gone the short 10k way home but stuck it out and went over the 1K by 1k. Don't you love it when you feel your shoes filling up?!
    Anyone else find they go faster in the rain, or feel they do?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Of course yesterday was a great opportunity to test my super duper ultra light weight and super expensive ASSOS luftwaffe water proof to see if it protected me against the elements.

In short it didn't :cry:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have a Santini Race Cape - £20 second hand that performs the same.

Lesson #1 Assos is overpriced. :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    smidsy wrote:

You haven't got any ASSOS so how do you know? You mustn't let your envy/bitterness of the ASSOS multi coloured fashionista's get in the way of a rational response. :lol:
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    i love the wind and rain. rain because it usally means less traffic and clear roads and the wind makes you work so much harder feeling the burn in the legs love it :D
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Descending from princetown to Yelverton today was interesting shall we say, got quite scary at several points. Was blowing hard as was I.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup, wind has been the prob here in east Cornwall. Not many really rubbish rainy days so have managed to get out most days. Strava stats this year are 135 rides 275 hours and 3500 miles. My first full season so not had much to compare with but think I've done ok considering ...
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Im manning up tomorrow.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    letap73 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

You haven't got any ASSOS so how do you know? You mustn't let your envy/bitterness of the ASSOS multi coloured fashionista's get in the way of a rational response. :lol:

I feel you rather missed the point. £20 to get wet versus £200 to get wet :wink:

When I say it performs the same I mean mine is useless in very wet weather too. I have no need to try Assos to know that. :D
    Yellow is the new Black.