what do you eat when out on a ride?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
as per title really

i can never seem to eat anything when i'm out an about, i have my first century this Sunday an i'm worried i will flake out from not eating

i've never ridden that far before (i have done 70's & 80's)

so what do you all take with you on rides?

also how much fluid would you take onboard, ok i know this will depend on heat an how hard your riding..
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Races up to 1 hour - nothing
    Longer races - 1 or 2 bottles of weak SIS, Torq gels, jelly babies
    Other rides - 2 bottles (for anything more than ~30 miles), Fruesli bars, Torq gels, jelly babies
    For anything approaching a century, I expect to refill my bottles at least once, and most rides over a century feature a sit down lunch and often a pub stop too :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Looks warm, so you'll need two bottles this weekend. I put the energy powder (SIS/High5) in, but not sure if it makes much difference.

Carry some food that you'll actually want to eat, rather than the horrible energy bars. I use normal cereal bars.

And I normally carry a couple of emergency gels, but don't often use them.
    exercise.png
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Is it an organised ride with feed stops? When I'm on one of those I usually just bring some emergency bonk food, like fruesli bars or sweets. Just a couple, I've brought too much before and ended up just taking it home. For a ride that long I try to take two bottles and refill whenever I can. Important to remain hydrated. I ran out of water on a ride in the Brecon Beacons a few weeks ago and spent the last 15 miles in agony from intercostal muscle cramps, which I suspect were caused in part by dehydration.

tl;dr, I try to eat and drink little and often. But I don't bring much with me if there are feed stops.
  • mudcow007
    aye, its the help for heros ride to london thingy

supposedly there are feed stations every 25 miles i think which should be cool

im looking forward to it, but worried you have to get the end by a certain time, i dont want to bonk but i dont really eat when riding

argh!!
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    + 1 for cereal bars.

For a 100 mile ride i'll tak:

- 2 x 750ml bottles (I do drink a lot) full of water and some hydrating tablet things.
    - 4/5 energy gels (in reality i'll probably only have 3)
    - 2 x cereal bars
    - Some gummy sweets - Midget gems are good as you can just snack on them if they're loose in your pocket.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    mudcow007 wrote:
    aye, its the help for heros ride to london thingy

supposedly there are feed stations every 25 miles i think which should be cool

im looking forward to it, but worried you have to get the end by a certain time, i dont want to bonk but i dont really eat when riding

argh!!
    If you're a regular cycle commuter I doubt you'll be one of the slower ones!
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Bananas are great, easy to eat and lots of energy plus they help against that empty feeling you get with gels etc.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Feltup wrote:
    Bananas are great, easy to eat and lots of energy plus they help against that empty feeling you get with gels etc.

Ahhh how did I forget these. I usually take about 3 on a ride!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Hate bananas. My other suggestions similar to other people, plus nakd bars - munged up dried fruit/nuts.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • You do have to get your body used to eating while riding.

Fig rolls in a tri-bag are good. Small, easy to eat and loads of calories - and much cheaper than energy bars.

I find the flavoured energy drinks often too sweet so these days I just mix maltodextrine (e.g. SIS Original) with a little squash. Maybe lob one of them salt/mineral tablets in too if it's a hot day.
  • mudcow007
    i cant do gels, they are rank, its like someone is squirting "baby gravy" down in my mouth - no thanks

bananas sound a winner,

im i best to alternate with hydrating stuff an plain old water? im worried about getting a dodgy stomach?

ive been using them "high 5 zero" tablets, mic two tabs in 750mls of water
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    bananas usually and an emergency gel. slice of cold pizza was the fuel of choice on the last club run

stick with what you are used to, i wouldn't want to try anything different in my drink on the day
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    I am usually a banana or kelloggs elevenses bar kind of person (I find them moist enough unlike some breakfast bars which are really dry).

Though I have been meaning to try some home made rice cake things for my next long ride, which you can see in this video: http://www.bicycling.com/video/man-feed ... /video/all with instructions here:
    http://bicycling.com/blogs/theleadinged ... real-food/
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    You can do a lot worse, for a lot more money, than these:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Individually wrap a few in scraps of paper and throw then in a pocket.
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    Malt loaf or plum loaf are still my favourites. Make some cuts lengthways and spread butter in, then cut into 3 or 4 pieces.
    To drink, half orange juice and half water, with a bit of salt added. Think I read that on here somewhere, and it seems to work.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Malt loaf or plum loaf are still my favourites. Make some cuts lengthways and spread butter in, then cut into 3 or 4 pieces.
    To drink, half orange juice and half water, with a bit of salt added. Think I read that on here somewhere, and it seems to work.

I thought the fat in the butter means it gets absorbed more slowly. I spread jam on mine. Instant hit and slower hit all in one scrummy bite
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    I thought the fat in the butter means it gets absorbed more slowly. I spread jam on mine. Instant hit and slower hit all in one scrummy bite
    Could be. I haven't really thought about it, just know that it can be a bit dry without butter. Maybe chocolate spread? There was a thread about that a while back.
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Flapjack...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Cornish pasty - ideal shape for your centre jersey pocket - miles tastier than any energy bars too.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    t4tomo wrote:
    Cornish pasty - ideal shape for your centre jersey pocket - miles tastier than any energy bars too.

My poo tastes better than most energy bars, so that's not much of a recommendation.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Nothing for 60 miles or less unless its in the mountains then something like a banana or ham & cheese sandwich every 20 miles but always an electrolyte tab and plenty of water.

I've tried just about everything but really unless I'm travelling huge distances I would choose normal food over gels.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Last couple of rides: too many flies :shock: :roll: :(

Seriously though - just more of what you might eat on a normal ride. You really don't want to start experimenting on your first century.

Half the battle is eating well BEFORE the ride - making sure you get a good breakfast - especially if you're away from home. I really struggled with this each morning on my L2E ride. Can't emphasise that enough

As others have said, drink well. If you use High 5 tabs, you can just mix them up at each rest stop. I find coffee and a muffin is my secret energy hit but normally I like the ZipVit ZV8 bars - they're fab. Bananas are awesome. But, seriously, eat what you know. And keep eating. Also, pace yourself. I can ride all day at 140bpm - several days in a row.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    My poo tastes better than most energy bars, so that's not much of a recommendation.
    You eat your own poo during long rides??? :shock:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Mule or Clif Bars - both are good and easy to eat on the go.
    2 x 750 ml bottles with High5 4:1 mix
    2 x emergency gels - Mule's Cafe Cortado is great. Coffee flavour and not too sweet. Gels are good for the last 20 miles or so when you will be flagging.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I normally ride 60 miles, but for rides this length this is what eat.

Breakfast before ride:
    2 slices of brown toast with strawberry jam (think I saw that this was Bradley Wiggins favorite pre ride breakfast)
    1 banana
    1 satsuma
    big cup of tea, 1 sugar not much milk
    2 pints of water

During ride:
    750ml water
    1 banana

I sometimes take a chocolate bar, but hardly ever eat it. If I was riding longer then I'd fill up my water bottle somewhere with more water and take another banana. I'd also make sure I ate some pasta the night before.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    MRS has it right. Have the biggest breakfast + coffee you can stomach and hydrate yourself properly with water or squash, well before you set off, and that'll see you though the first 60-70 miles without issue as long as you keep topping up the fluids when you're moving. And instead of carrying foods that are a compromise of what you can carry in your pockets for 5 hours before you eat them, I stuff a fiver in and stop at a handy shop at about the time you need to - 60, 70 miles - and buy something that's still pleasant and hasn't weighed me down and jammed into my kidneys for the last few hours. A pint or 2 of milk, something savoury and filling with a side order of Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps followed by your chocolate bar of choice will see you though to the end without problem. The emergency gel bars might come in handy over the last 10-15 miles, as long as you banish Kieran's taste analogy from your mind first.

A good breakfast is > 2 weetabix with supermarket own-brand porridge oats straight of the bag strewn about on top & round the sides, liberally dowsed with milk & sugar.
  • I go for flapjacks, the sweetest, gooiest ones I can find. Taste a whole heap better than the power bar type things, and probably work just as well.
  • meanredspider
    Daddy0 wrote:
    big cup of tea, 1 sugar not much milk
    2 pints of water

:shock: Does that not go straight through you, D0?

Half the trick of hydrating is to drink it over a long period of time. I might get a pint down me but only if I start sipping it the moment I wake up. Keeping at least a pint next to the bed to sip overnight is useful too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    probably i have got with the breaksfast is the ride starts at 2am sunday morning

i arrive at the ride (after starting to travel at 20:00 on Saturday) in Wiltshire at 1am

i think breakfast will be coffee by the gallon
  • meanredspider
    Ah - then a good tea :wink:

Daft time to start a long ride. I thought starting the Moonriders ride at 11.30pm was a bit silly - I'd finished by 3.30am though. You'll finish around 10.30 - 11.00am I guess -depending upon breaks en-route

Caffeine will be your friend but only near the beginning. Careful you don't overdo it so you can't sleep when you've finished.