Official TT 2013 thread

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited December 2013 in The Crudcatcher
S'up homos.

So it's that time of the year again. Time for the official TT thread.

So we're 2 days into practice and last night saw the first (hopefully, only) fatality. Yoshinari Matsushita from Japan came off at Ballacrye last night in..... shall we say..... less than ideal conditions. He'd only just been signed for Suzuki, but he'd been round before on the leccy bikes.

We've got practices all week this week in the evening, then next weeks race timetable is as follows:

Saturday, June 1
11.00 - Dainese Superbike (six laps)
14.00 - Sure Sidecar 1 (three laps)

Monday, June 3
10.45 - Monster Energy Supersport race 1 (four laps)
14.00 - Royal London Superstock (four laps)

Wednesday, June 5
10.45 - SES TT Zero (one lap)
12.00 - Monster Energy Supersport race 2 (four laps)
14.15 - Sure Sidecar 2 (three laps)

Friday, June 7
10.15 - Bikesocial.co.uk Lightweight (three laps)
13.00 - Pokerstars Senior TT (six laps)

Obviously, the above is all subject to change depending on weather, red flags etc

My employers are sponsoring the senior again, so I'm hoping I can get some pit access tickets again for that.

Highlights, special shows etc are all being shown on ITV4 at 9pm, started last night with a special on Conor Cummins and will continue through this week and of course, right through race week with the highlights shows.

Here are a couple of shots from last year to wet your appetite:

Monday_superstock034.jpg

Monday_superstock017.jpg

TT2011089.jpg

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    great pics

I will be watching as my mate is riding - Ben Wylie
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Quality!

Just checked, seen he's #18 so I'll keep an eye out and if I get any decent pics I'll let you know. This will be my first year using anything resembling a decent camera (the ones above were done on a cheap point and shoot) so I expect the practice sessions to be a bit of a clusterfuck. I know my ones last night were not amazing.

Looks like he did ok in the first practice on the 650s on Sat night too. 18th out of 44.
  • Not much into motorbikes, find the TT coverage a bit dull, but I did like this..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSYiU-JdRw

Would like to go to the TT one day, needs to be ticked off.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Well, my plans to watch the practices tonight were scuppered by the good old Manx summertime. Started lashing down about 5pm. Practices, cancelled.
    Fail.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Gawd, is it that time of year already? Doesn't seem long since last years. Hopefully the ITV4 coverage will be up to the usual high standard - those slow motion cam shots they get are amazing and show just how inhumanly fast those top guys are compared to us normal road riders.

Not from the TT, but a couple of pics of mine here, for those who like their racing two wheeled:

79709.jpg?max=640

52451.jpg?max=640
  • tlw1
    Quality!

Just checked, seen he's #18 so I'll keep an eye out and if I get any decent pics I'll let you know. This will be my first year using anything resembling a decent camera (the ones above were done on a cheap point and shoot) so I expect the practice sessions to be a bit of a clusterfuck. I know my ones last night were not amazing.

Looks like he did ok in the first practice on the 650s on Sat night too. 18th out of 44.

Cheers! He managed 184.9 mph through sulby

Kind of failed on the watching as I went to the pub though
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Some pics from tonight's practice.

All taken from the end of my street, around the 37th mile marker, just past signpost corner.

DSC00741_zpsdcb09b39.jpg

DSC00766_zpse6c88c80.jpg

DSC00791_zpsf27191a8.jpg
    DSC00790cropped_zps4e1777cc.jpg

DSC00831cropped_zpse8b62335.jpg

DSC00868_zps8e23185d.jpg

DSC01049_zps3222c881.jpg

DSC01052crop_zps9b1c55a4.jpg

DSC01080_zps908c8663.jpg

DSC01083_zps88037ec3.jpg

Last but not least, those cheeky beggars on the #60 machine giving us the bird on the way past.

DSC01087finger2_zps6553350d.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    Do you ride a bike yourself, Mr No Tail?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Not anymore. Nowhere to mount the bikes ;) Tried a roofrack but it hurt my neck.
  • Kowalski675
    Here you go:

SWMotechBike1.jpg
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Haha, awesome!

By the way, did anyone see tonight's ITV4 show? They had Peaty on, looks like he was over a couple of months ago, just as the snow was clearing up, showing Conor how to ride a MTB like a boss.
  • Kowalski675
    I just put "bicycle on motorcycle" in google images, there's loads of similar pics, lol. Didn't see tonight's show, but watched last night's.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Cheers for the good shots and info. I can't believe Conor Cummins is racing again, if I crashed like that and had to go through that recovery process, just the sight of a bike would make me sick.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    We just need the weather to pick up now, the guys are starting to struggle for practice big time!

Good pics btw :D
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    You are a lucky barsteward CWNT, would love to be able to watch the TT from the "end of my street". I just have to make do with 45 mins of highlights a day :( One of the things on my bucket list is to go to the TT and ride around the course. Keeps the pics coming in, love the flying bird shot :D
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Oh Marone wrote:
    You are a lucky barsteward CWNT, would love to be able to watch the TT from the "end of my street".
    That would involve living on a tiny island though, where your wife is your step sister! Plus (I'm starting a sentence with the word 'plus', what of it!?) you'd turn out like CWNT, and who'd want that!!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Oh Marone wrote:
    You are a lucky barsteward CWNT, would love to be able to watch the TT from the "end of my street". I just have to make do with 45 mins of highlights a day :( One of the things on my bucket list is to go to the TT and ride around the course. Keeps the pics coming in, love the flying bird shot :D

Think about it though, its a bit like living near a well nice beach anywhere in the UK. The idea is great, but in reality its only actually of any use for 2 weeks a year.

Great pics though.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    This is true, the TT is only 2 weeks of the year.

The rest of the year we have to make do with the lower tax, low crime rate, excellent schools, beautiful scenery, higher than average wages and things like Manx GP, Manx Rally, southern 100, pre and post TT classics.............

;) (sorry, couldn't resist a good boast. I'm ready for my well deserved flaming)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    touche. the crap mountain biking, expensive cost of living and backwards inbred humans who inhabit the place definitely make it the place to be.

;)
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Mountain biking is actually very good over here. and cost of living isn't THAT high.

Can't fault the rest of your argument though.

You've got a purdy mouth boy!
  • Kowalski675
    FocusZing wrote:
    Cheers for the good shots and info. I can't believe Conor Cummins is racing again, if I crashed like that and had to go through that recovery process, just the sight of a bike would make me sick.

Aye, I've had a few crashes, but I doubt I'd ever get back on a bike after something like that. Racers brains are wired up differently to normal people though.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing wrote:

Aye, I've had a few crashes, but I doubt I'd ever get back on a bike after something like that. Racers brains are wired up differently to normal people though.

It certainly shows his desire to win, best of luck to him. Probably deficient in the fear gene, which is no bad thing towards being successful.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370

The rest of the year we have to make do with the lower tax, low crime rate, excellent schools, beautiful scenery, higher than average wages and things like Manx GP, Manx Rally, southern 100, pre and post TT classics.............

;) (sorry, couldn't resist a good boast. I'm ready for my well deserved flaming)

Not to mention the fine brewing laws, free eye tests and being one of the few jurisdictions not to fall into recession recently.
    The government did have to fip into its rainy day billion pound fund though...

Oh and the policemen wear white hats :) [/end of boast\]
  • cat_with_no_tail
    compo wrote:

Not to mention the fine brewing laws, free eye tests and being one of the few jurisdictions not to fall into recession recently.
    The government did have to fip into its rainy day billion pound fund though...

Oh and the policemen wear white hats :) [/end of boast\]

*waves flag*
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Did someone mention Manx Grand Prix? My TT Course race debut last year, taking some are over Ballaugh Bridge, my home village for 365 days of the Year :)

MGPLiftOff.jpg
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • FocusZing
    Those side car racers have got some guts. I would like to see heart rate monitor readings with that jump, curb bang and overtakes.

Considering the risks it does make GP bikes look a bit polished, not that I don't appreciate their skill. I thought Guy Martin was a bit conspicuous with his absence from the media. I don't blame him, hope the great character get one this year.

2013-molyneux-number-one-plate-at-2013-tt.jpg
  • tlw1
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Did someone mention Manx Grand Prix? My TT Course race debut last year, taking some are over Ballaugh Bridge, my home village for 365 days of the Year :)

MGPLiftOff.jpg

great pic
  • Kowalski675
    The chairs were v entertaining tonight - good race.
  • Kowalski675
    Just watched the superbikes. No matter how many times I see it I'm still left thinking WTF? How is it possible to ride a bike that fast (never mind for 226 miles)? Seriously impressive.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Indeed, it was a great race. Was good to see just what MD can do given the right machine! Excellent result for Josh Brookes too, AND McGuinness going out on the last lap and setting a new course record. Bet we'll see at least 1 rider lapping 132 in the Senior now.

We were sat in our neighbour's back garden. Superbikes & beer, followed by a BBQ & more beer, followed by beer.
    Epic win of a day.

The Norton sounds AMAZING btw.

Handful of snaps from today, getting more used to this camera now.

DSC01142_zps6fc1b6ad.jpg

DSC01264_zpsaeccc012.jpg

DSC01265_zpscbdcd5d8.jpg

DSC01271_zps54004cf9.jpg

DSC01279_zps56919fb5.jpg

DSC01325_zps721cef27.jpg

DSC01482_zpsad849f38.jpg

DSC01506_zps2f414d8b.jpg

DSC01623_zpsabd6f32b.jpg

DSC01918_zps8a8e25bc.jpg