Horse Incident!

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    bails87 wrote:
    Apparently bikes remind horses of their predators (what actually eats horses? Other than Iceland customers) But bikes move smoothly and with relatively little noise which makes them think we're a hungry predator creeping up on them and they freak out.

I always call out "morning"/"afternoon"/"out of my way scumwads" to the rider so that the horse realises I'm a person and not a horse-eating lion.

Badgers?

No idea they have no natural predators even a foals to big for most foxes.

Have to say round my way they seem quite calm about bikers so either they are doped up on something, Narcoleptic and nodding off or just used to them. Its sensible though to slow down an they usually thank you for it anyway for it last thing they want its being chucked off or having to try and control a startled horse.
    It does some like she has a very skittish one which shouldnt really have been out in my opinion. Imagine what it would have done if they encountered a Toyota Prius!
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    I hate the way it's acceptable to let them shit all over the place and not tidy it up afterwoulds. It should be law for horseriders to carry giant pooperscoops and sack to clean up the shit their horses leave behind. They could at least shovel it off the side of the bridleway. Ignorant tw*ts
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they're anything like dog walkers they'll just leave huge sacks of steaming sh1t hanging on trees.
    Walkers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Mark909 wrote:
    I hate the way it's acceptable to let them shoot all over the place and not tidy it up afterwoulds. It should be law for horseriders to carry giant pooperscoops and sack to clean up the shoot their horses leave behind. They could at least shovel it off the side of the bridleway. Ignorant tw*ts

Nag Nappies anyone? Or just get them to take the nosebag off their nose after feeding them and immediately attach it to their bum. :D
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    cooldad wrote:
    If they're anything like dog walkers they'll just leave huge sacks of steaming sh1t hanging on trees.
    Walkers.

Usually hand or eye level when riding from memory
  • cooldad
    Step83 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Walkers.

Usually hand or eye level when riding from memory
    I find it's easier to open my eyes than ride from memory.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • In my opinion the cyclist was riding too fast without the appropriate consideration for others using the bridleway, had you of been going slower in the first place the sudden noise from the chain rattling and the ground under you wouldn't have been so startling, having said that, the horse rider would have been in control of her horse until you startled it & that is where everyone NEEDS respect for animals, some horses do spook easily & spook over different things

My wifes horse isn't bothered by bikes/car/lorries/tractors etc but scared of sheep and white plastic bags (look like a sheep I guess :) ).

These bridleways/roads etc are all to be shared and the mentallity that people have of NOT accepting they were to blame for anything is rediculous, this is why there is more aggression in the UK as we all believe we are right and everyone else is in the wrong.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    In my opinion the cyclist was riding too fast without the appropriate consideration for others using the bridleway

I'm guessing you didn't read what the OP wrote in the first post.
    Mccraque wrote:
    I slowed for the walkers, continued a bit and took a right hander, as the path opened up, there was a horse about 30m in front. I stopped- not skidding, no brake squeel.

Horse riders, a big dumb animal sat atop of another big dumb animal
  • In my opinion the cyclist was riding too fast without the appropriate consideration for others using the bridleway

I'm guessing you didn't read what the OP wrote in the first post.
    Mccraque wrote:
    I slowed for the walkers, continued a bit and took a right hander, as the path opened up, there was a horse about 30m in front. I stopped- not skidding, no brake squeel.

Horse riders, a big dumb animal sat atop of another big dumb animal

I did read the OP's post, when reading it I saw, I passed the walkers (then sped up and as the path opened up wide carried my speed through the corner) I saw a horse and didn't know how to react so stopped suddenly making some noise (sound of chain slap/tyres trying to grip) which spooked the horse as it could hear a sudden noise getting louder as I got closer (and it couldn't see me).

If the horse was 30m away there isn't any need to stop, which in my mind tells me the OP was much closer in reality & the sudden noise of his speed was what spooked it, don't make sudden changes in speed/direction & make sure you speak loudly enough to let the horse and rider know you are there and approaching, keep your speed slow and steady (same side of the horse if possible).

There is no need to insult Horse riders, it just goes to show the mentallity you have towards people on horses and what they have to put up with when you are around!
  • cooldad
    edited June 2013
    I did read the OP's post, when reading it I saw, I passed the walkers (then sped up and as the path opened up wide carried my speed through the corner) I saw a horse and didn't know how to react so stopped suddenly making some noise (sound of chain slap/tyres trying to grip) which spooked the horse as it could hear a sudden noise getting louder as I got closer (and it couldn't see me).

If the horse was 30m away there isn't any need to stop, which in my mind tells me the OP was much closer in reality & the sudden noise of his speed was what spooked it, don't make sudden changes in speed/direction & make sure you speak loudly enough to let the horse and rider know you are there and approaching, keep your speed slow and steady (same side of the horse if possible).

There is no need to insult Horse riders, it just goes to show the mentallity you have towards people on horses and what they have to put up with when you are around!
    I see. You make stuff up, assume other stuff, and then have a go at him.
    There is no need to insult Bike (note capital?) riders, it just goes to show the mentality you have towards people on bikes and what they have to put up with when you are around!
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • How would you interpritate it? If you had slowed down to pass walkers, would not have sped up? & now I guess chainslap and tyres under hard braking whilst on a bridleway dont make any noise? the horse would not spook so easily if it could see you therefore coming in from behind.

Who's insulting bike riders? If you read everything that there you will not find an insult.. Same old same old, I ride a bike therefore everyone else is wrong, just the same as I drive a car therefore horses/bikes shouldn't be allowed on the road & horse riders don't like cyclists/motorists as they don't think about the consiquences of spooking their horse!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    How about you don't interpret and just read what the OP wrote?

I'm fairly sure that's how most things work...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Don't you just love identity politics?
  • ddraver wrote:
    How about you don't interpret and just read what the OP wrote?

I'm fairly sure that's how most things work...

I have read what the OP wrote.. Only commented as we are all entitled to our own opinion?

I've lived & worked around horses all my life and fail to see any other way that it could have been spooked (especially @ 30m away)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    there's interpretation and embellishment. rather than ask the op to clarify what happened, you've just filled in the gaps based on what your preconceived view of the situation in light of the fact that you work with horses.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You are entitled to an opinion, but at least be honest about 'reading between the lines' when you first post.

I've spent plenty of time round horses and had them be spooked by a bird at 30m......anything behind them (as a prey animal) they tend to spook first and think later, it's called Darwinian Evolution and despite not having had many prey in Northern Europe for 500 years it takes a while to undo 2M years of spooking saving their lives.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    I've lived & worked around horses all my life and fail to see any other way that it could have been spooked (especially @ 30m away)[/quote]

It could have been something in front of the animal, we don't know where it was looking when the OP saw it. It could have been spooked by anything, it may have even been bitten by something. I think that the main thing that should be focused on is the OP stayed with the rider and made sure she was ok before continuing and not just riding off - animals can be unpredictable
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    These kinda posts always end up the same way. Some dick ed keyboard warriors how wrong you are and how perfect they are.
  • Grovsie29 wrote:
    These kinda posts always end up the same way. Some dick ed keyboard warriors how wrong you are and how perfect they are.

how right you are, full of people insulting others.. what is this world coming too?
  • ddraver
    Because I'm not agreeing with you 100% you re going to take this as another insult, but, just an observation, until you started making stuff up this was a balanced sensible thread...
    - @ddraver
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leic ... 444134.stm
    Is this you? Maybe that's why the horse ran off, you have a reputation?
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Just because I don't follow the heard I get called a dick ed/keyboard warrier/sex offender. hmmmm,, who's the one with the problem. All I have done is voice my opinion, its a shame you lot can't.

Please READ the op's first post, you will read them saying exactly what I have said. You are entilited to your own opinion but there is NO need to call people names

It was a pleasant change to read that the OP had stayed around with the horse rider to make sure she was fine, most of you lot probably wouldn't of done and would have shouted at the horse rider telling them they shouldn't of been there or she is a big dumb animal sat on another big dumb animal!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I don't think Woodmonkey is calling you a sex offender, if you read what he put he is referring to the original poster. I don't recall a horse being spooked by you and bolting away.

And now you're assuming that we're all mindless Neanderthals by saying that we'd probably shouted at the rider. I reckon you're a plant from a horse riding forum, come in here to stir things up
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    she is a big dumb animal sat on another big dumb animal!
    Actually I think most people on here would stick around, but I'm glad you said that not anyone else Matt the horse.

I'm not saying the bike didn't spook the horse, I'm saying what he did didn't necesarily play a part, horses can spook at anything they perceive as a threat, and yes birds out of hedges, I've not met a horse off road but when I see one on road I always make sure it gets a good view of me early one, as wide out to one side as I can be and not approaching fast enough to be an immediate threat, come round a corner behind one and there is not much you can do.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134

Please READ the op's first post, you will read them saying exactly what I have said.

Read it again, you won't.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    And talking about speed with chain slapping because he is going too fast is pretty silly,

My chains slaps likecrazy on the rough stuff if im not pedalling, i'd have to be going slower that walking pace for it not too which is a little unreasonable to ask someone progressing on a bike.

OP my response to the whole thing is you did it right, slowed up as smoothly as you could, were polite as could be when things went wrong, there is always and element of risk with horses, the other day at afan we passed some horses ont he climb back up to the car park on the Wall we stopped as soon as we saw them, and the horse would barely walk past it didn't like bikes that much. They are living breathing animals and some do not like bike and are scared of moving bikes.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Horses are dangerous, keep 'em for our burgers, nothing else!
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I don't think people should be riding horses that they can't control, they probably shouldn't be ridden by anyone at all. Just cause you own a certain horse doesn't mean you should ride it, it might be totally unroadworthy as is the case with this one
  • ddraver
    STOP INSULTING ME YOU W@NKERS!

:D
    - @ddraver
  • Interesting.. Yet another, saying you shouldn't ride a horse you cant control, its a wild animal, if it wants to bolt it will, regardless of who is on it, same applies to any pet/child/bike/car/motorbike..

Signing off now. Had a fantastic day cycling today.. You all have your opinions & I have mine, Case closed.