Great Notts Bike Ride (100miles)

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    smidsy wrote:
    People who ride in groups in the wet without mudguards have no respect for others and should be force fed Soreen till it comes out of their ears.

Thought a slight revision was in order :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    The weather reports are looking better as far as rain is concerned but 18mph wind with 35mph gusts from the West could make the 2nd half of the ride 'interesting'

:P
    Welcome to the real world of long distance cycling where the temperatures are not always above 20oC and wind below 5 mph. Also it is a fact that the faster you cycle more you notice the wind anyway.

Five years ago when they first attempted the 100 mile distance, we had winds then which gusted over 50 mph.

At least the weather forecast is not one where we can expect a real drenching or where the wind is so strong that you can only cycle against it in a granny ring!
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    smidsy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    People who ride in groups in the wet without mudguards have no respect for others and should be force fed Soreen till it comes out of their ears.

Thought a slight revision was in order :lol:

+1

Wait...what!? :|
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Stedman wrote:
    The weather reports are looking better as far as rain is concerned but 18mph wind with 35mph gusts from the West could make the 2nd half of the ride 'interesting'

Welcome to the real world of long distance cycling where the temperatures are not always above 20oC and wind below 5 mph. Also it is a fact that the faster you cycle more you notice the wind anyway.

Five years ago when they first attempted the 100 mile distance, we had winds then which gusted over 50 mph.

At least the weather forecast is not one where we can expect a real drenching or where the wind is so strong that you can only cycle against it in a granny ring!

Patronising much? :wink:

I did a 106 miler earlier in the year... March to be exact, up to Parlsey Hay, the week that the A515 shut due to snow drifts. We did the ride 2 days before that blizzard hit and cycled up into the snow that was already lying on the high grounds in the Peaks. 30 miles of that ride were off-road, we were in full winter kit and riding CX bikes.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I want to do the ride this year but its the gf's birthday and she said no :(

Good luck guys.

Stalker alert here - Stedman were you one of the many people out on the BCC / BRC Social ride on Wednesday night?
  • Stedman
    Stedman wrote:

Patronising much? :wink:

I did a 106 miler earlier in the year... March to be exact, up to Parlsey Hay, the week that the A515 shut due to snow drifts. We did the ride 2 days before that blizzard hit and cycled up into the snow that was already lying on the high grounds in the Peaks. 30 miles of that ride were off-road, we were in full winter kit and riding CX bikes.

I apologise. It is difficult these days to assess who do take part in the old established club/audax scene and those who are part of the new (sportive/Wiggins) wave which are coming through.
  • nick300zx
    nick300zx Posts: 219
    I'm driving up from Surrey tomorrow with a couple of mates for this.
    It's meant to be part of our training for the London100. However we are riding with a group of work colleagues from our Nottingham HQ who we are doing a London2Paris with in September. Several have not ridden much before so I'm not sure what sort of pace we'll make. They may be super fit & put us to shame :lol:
    If you see a frustrated (or knackered) looking old boy on a white/orange Viner try not to laugh too much as you go by.
    By the way, this is the biggest rider number I've seen for a sportive. Think I may wrap it round the bars rather than pin it to me.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I really think the roads are going to be manic at the start, and as they want to get all near 1000 riders off in 50 minutes there are going to be some big groups until we get over the A46 and people start to spread out some.

Oh and I'm not sure which way we're going at the start as the bridge into Ruddington was shut last I checked (just checked again... my mate is still cycling the detour route so it must be shut).

This means a right turn at a busy junction. Hopefully they'll have someone controlling the traffic lights like last year.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    If its at the start I doubt there will be much traffic at 7am on a SUNDAY :lol:
  • smidsy
    Soreen Banana lunchbox bars, Alpen Strawberry and Yoghurt bars, 2 Bananas, Fig rolls, Chocolate chip Brioche and Jelly babies/beans all now stocked up on.

Just need to figure out how to get all that + race cape, phone, arm and leg warmers all in the jersey and I am good to go.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Bike now pristine, and lubed. Poppped out and bought the bananas, chocolate raisins (emergency food), booze and snacks for afterwards; kit loosely assembled downstairs and actually remembered the safety pins for the rider number!

Camera and spare battery charged, alarm set for "Ohhhhhh.... Godddddddd....." O'Clock.

I think I'm set.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    Same here, im lubed, seriously i am, the wifes a massuse :D i get another one tomorrow when ive done , but wont have the energy for the "happy ending" :lol: , i had to send one of my daughters kids back home to find safety pins as id forgotten about the number, got me all me food, drinks etc .
    Good luck to all that are taking part, lets hope the weathers not too bad, and that wind dies down a bit otherwise it will feel like 200 miles
  • R0B75
    I'm ready.

Bike cleaned and lubed. Everything that needed charging has been. Got energy gels, flapjack squares, jelly beans and 8 safety pins. Car is packed with everything except the bike. Bring it on.

Still not looking forward to getting up at 5am though :/
  • Stedman
    Finally got two bikes ready to roll with the final choice tomorrow, depending upon the weather. My number is currently on the road bike (without the mudguards)!
  • jasonm945
    jasonm945 Posts: 134
    Just finished this my first century. good to meet Kieran on the way round...

Jay
  • nik6158
    nik6158 Posts: 32
    1st century here aswell and also good to meet you Kieran, nice to put a face to the name.
  • R0B75
    My god those were some tough conditions today!

Heavy rain making your glasses useless and when you take them off the rain hurts your eyes. Strong headwinds for pretty for most of the last 50 miles and that bloody dirt track near the end.... My bike looks like a flippin' MTB, it's filthy!

Loved it though but I am sore now.

Well done to all doing their first century because it was a tough day to do it.

Anyway, obligatory Strava link - http://app.strava.com/activities/62332337
  • Kieran_Burns
    Jay, Nick good to meet you both and thanks for the chat. That section really flew by. I only wish they'd all been as fun.

Did a daft write up over on the commuting section:

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12613090&start=1920

last post on there (as of posting this)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    Fancy this one next? https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... 0-Sportive

If I do it, it will be a more leisurely pace. No targets, just a fun social ride.
  • nick300zx
    nick300zx Posts: 219
    Just back home. It was a fairly sedate ride with a group of friends that had a couple of fairly new riders so involved a fair bit of slow riding with them or waiting for them to catch up.
    Weather was loads better than forecast all week, but certainly was windy. (Why is it never behind you?). Had a few moments including trying to look cool and put my rain jacket on the go, handsfree, only to get it caught in back wheel and having to yank it out ripping zip off. :oops: Also garmin packed up 2 months past it's year warranty.
    Agree about the off road bit at end. Totally ridiculous & unnecessary.
  • smidsy
    102.7 miles - hmmm.

I did try and warn you all about the unsuitable section of cut through near the end (Basso was nicely tooked up at home). I bet the guys on there £5000 fancy kit really appreciated that section.

Anyway my first 100 done (in a lot longer time than I had hoped) but at least it is done and I can move on.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Slick tyres on slick mud. What a great combination.

There was a lot of whinging about that section last year. It's shame they didn't listen.

I also noticed that there were far fewer marshalls on the route, I wonder if the bad weather kept them in bed?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • divingrob
    divingrob Posts: 29
    Thought it was quite well marshalled up to where it split then not so many around.
  • smidsy
    R0B75 wrote:

Impressive time that, a full 3mph quicker average than I managed to muster :shock:

I will not be doing that particular event again if they insist on that off road section! A real shame as 90% of the route is very nice indeed (once you get to the A60 onwards).

Well done Rob
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • R0B75
    smidsy wrote:
    R0B75 wrote:

Impressive time that, a full 3mph quicker average than I managed to muster :shock:

I will not be doing that particular event again if they insist on that off road section! A real shame as 90% of the route is very nice indeed (once you get to the A60 onwards).

Well done Rob

Cheers. I'm feeling it today though. Sore everything! :lol:

Just finished stripping and cleaning my bike and its like new again after that "off-road" section. Does the event have a feedback form or something because if enough people complain maybe they will change it next time? Maybe arrange for those on road bikes to choose (if they want) to go through Holme Peirrepont Hall or straight through.
  • Kieran_Burns
    So - here we are again.

3 weeks to go. Who's doing it this year?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    I will be doing it again as long as the weather forecast is not like last year.

I believe they will include an optional diversion for the off-road bit this year.
  • jasonm945
    jasonm945 Posts: 134
    I'm doing it again, the offroad bit was dry the other week!

Looking forward to it!

Jay
  • Kieran_Burns
    I have to agree - as long as the weather does not turn out like last year. I still cannot believe I was cold on what was Midsummers day.

I'm definitely going to be slower this year but I don't mind. I like the route and it's always good to see so many cyclists on the road at once.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Stedman
    jasonm945 wrote:
    I'm doing it again, the offroad bit was dry the other week!

Looking forward to it!

Jay
    Jay,

I don't want to disappoint you, but I am under the impression that the off-road section has been eliminated from the course for the first time in over twenty years.