Great Notts Bike Ride (100miles)

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oh, just to mention: the signs warning of the event are up along the A60 now
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Energy drinks and gels are all free, but the food is extra

Hmmm, I know it's all for charidee (and I'm raising sponsorship separately) but would have hoped to get *something* a bit substantial for my entry fee...
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    munkster wrote:
    Energy drinks and gels are all free, but the food is extra

Hmmm, I know it's all for charidee (and I'm raising sponsorship separately) but would have hoped to get *something* a bit substantial for my entry fee...
    Historically this event (which goes back well before the concept of sportives were ever thought of) originally had café stops and as it grew some of the villages stepped in and sold sandwiches, tea and cakes to also raise money for charity.

For the last five years the organisers did provide food at Wellow for the longer distance, but I suspect this has been curtailed in order to promote the pre-ordered food this year.

As I am using this year’s event as part of my RL100 preparation, (unless it is very hot) I am not planning on stopping and I shall be taking sufficient food with me.

Last year I even had sufficient sweets to rescue someone who had bonked!
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Fair do's - hadn't really heard of the event until recently so just wondered what the deal was. All power to the charity elbow obviously, expectations are duly amended ;-)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Is Wellow the one that got moved to the Village hall 'round the corner last year. The one with the mad women serving?

I noticed there were lots of confused looking people lounging in the village green just before the Church hall and wondered why
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Speaking of food...

Has anyone pre-booked like they keep insisting we do? It seems the main feed stop is at the 37 mile mark (Car Colston) which I can't help but think is too soon

I suppose I could do the cake and drink at Caunton though
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Just take stuff with you, if you end up stopping and there is some food available you can still partake, but at least you will be self sufficient if not.

Jersey pockets hold a surprising amount when you get down to it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Stedman
    Speaking of food...

Has anyone pre-booked like they keep insisting we do? It seems the main feed stop is at the 37 mile mark (Car Colston) which I can't help but think is too soon

I suppose I could do the cake and drink at Caunton though
    There is even a feed station 5 miles before the finish!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Nearer 10, but then the 50 mile circuit is more for the family taking an entire day to get 'round. We just went past last year.

I'm intending to stop at the middle three halts (for a quick top up, snack, arse rest and leg stretch more than anything)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Wardy74
    Wardy74 Posts: 6
    I'll be doing this too ,671. If you don't want to use the feed stations, I can recommend Newfield Dairy ice cream parlour and cafe just after Hockerton for a mid(ish) food stop. Though it might be hard to get back on your bike afterwards.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Hmmmm... I think they've taken the hill at Cotgrave out. That first one going up Owthorpe Rd. It looks like they go to the left (North) of it this year.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    Does that mean its easier or harder?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Easier! That hill caught a lot of people out last year. Apparently quite a few of the sportive riders had to walk it. (we didn't)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    One more ride this week (tomorrow) and then rest until Sunday's ride. Really looking forward to it now. I'll be getting there between 6:30-7am I reckon.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Ditto Rob - done my riding for the week now, time to give the legs a rest and get the bike as good as I can

It's going to be cooler on Sunday and the possibility of light rain, so make sure you got your lightweight top available.

(must admit though that I am thinking of a 40 mile loop this evening - just me and the bike as opposed to always using the rucksack, it'll be nice to see how it feels now I've lost almost a stone in weight)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Stedman
    Ditto Rob - done my riding for the week now, time to give the legs a rest and get the bike as good as I can

It's going to be cooler on Sunday and the possibility of light rain, so make sure you got your lightweight top available.

(must admit though that I am thinking of a 40 mile loop this evening - just me and the bike as opposed to always using the rucksack, it'll be nice to see how it feels now I've lost almost a stone in weight)
    Did a respectable time trial time last night and tonight it is a gentle club social ride, after that other than walking the dog I should be resting my legs.

Even though the hill at Cotgrave surprised me last year, it will be a pity if they have taken it out as I was looking forward to riding it in the right gear. If I correctly remember there was also a very quick 40+ MPH straight drop on the other side!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Oddly enough I was (kind of) looking forward to the climb as well and for the same reasons - that drop was right after you cleared the A46 and road just went straight down.

I think they may have skipped it 'cos of the 50 milers. It's meant to be a family day out ride and that one might be a bit much. I would think a lot of them walked it.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • smidsy
    Hmmm, weather could be dodgy.

I have just finished fettling the wet bike and will take that, as I also seem to recall some parts of the route were pretty ropey for a road bike with snazzy wheels etc. (particularly that cut through towards the end).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Kieran_Burns
    yeah... been seeing that myself but I'm 2-3mph slower on the commute bike compared to the Madone, that adds up over the 100 miles.

eep.... Sun 23 Jun Day Heavy Rain Shower 16 °C W 18 mph 35 mph
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    weathers going to be awful.... lots of rain no wet bike for me :cry: i only have the one, wife bought me a great waterproof jacket for running in very light thank god, i will be going to the local LBS friday to get some overshoes, im glad i bought a new full carbon saddle (no padding) now so i dont feel like im sitting in a puddle for a 100 miles, arse is going to hurt but at least it will be dryish
    got my number wrong on the other post its 299
  • Stedman
    Weather does not look great on BBC weather (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641170) however I tend to find that these reports tend to become less pessimistic much nearer the day.

Although I have prepared my road bike for this event, if the weather does turn out to be awful, I shall swop it for my training bike which at least is equipped with mudguards!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well - I'll have my overshoes on standby just in case. My road shoes are useless in the wet and my rain jacket will keep me more than warm enough.

Definitely going to earn that unhealthy take-out on Sunday night now :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • R0B75
    Waterproof socks and lightweight packable jacket for me. No mudguards and only got one bike. Still going to smash it. :lol:
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    R0B75 wrote:
    Waterproof socks and lightweight packable jacket for me. No mudguards and only got one bike. Still going to smash it. :lol:
    mudguards are for wimps , never should they ever be on any bike
  • Stedman
    sarm34 wrote:
    R0B75 wrote:
    mudguards are for wimps , never should they ever be on any bike
    Clearly you have never cycled 200 miles on a wet day!
  • smidsy
    Or in front of anyone else!

People who ride in groups in the wet without mudguards have no respect for others and should be shot.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • R0B75
    I've never ridden in a group before. A good excuse to stay at the back of a group and get a tow... :twisted:
  • Kieran_Burns
    The weather reports are looking better as far as rain is concerned but 18mph wind with 35mph gusts from the West could make the 2nd half of the ride 'interesting'

My cycle live jersey turned up earlier in the week, I have to say I am pleased with the quality of it. My latest worry is trying to find some bloody safety pins to fix the number to the jersey :lol:

By the way - Soreen are doing a Malt loaf with chocolate chips. Just saying, and no you can't have any of mine. :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • smidsy
    Soreen is truly the works of the devil. Can't stand fruit cake me.

Aparantly they do a nice banana cake version though.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • R0B75
    On Sunday I'll be mostly eating Flapjack squares. The question is, do i get the version with or without Chocolate on? Such a dilemma. Soreen Malt Loaf is nasty, so don't worry Kieran, I'll not be asking you for any, EVER. Not even if I'm dying.