Tyre pressures. How do you ride yours?

2»

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I have Conti GP4000s 25's and run 90psi on the front, 95 on the back. I weigh 12.5 st
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Canny lad wrote:
    Conti 25mm tyres, 95psi F&R.

80kg :D
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I don't like the way that scale tops out at ~80kg :(
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • barrybridges
    barrybridges Posts: 420
    Crikey, I must have my pressure way high!

I have 120psi front and rear. I weight 13 stone exactly.

Since putting on new tyres (Pro4s to replace the wilier own brand) I've felt that 120psi isn't enough - it's too spongey - although I haven't pumped it up further as I'm not sure higher than 120psi is good.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Conti 25mm's, and 10.5 stone. I usually run about 85 psi front and rear :?
    I start to think the gauge is faulty after that, for some illogical reason? :oops:
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    edited May 2013
    89kg myself

Run 115psi (R) and 110psi (F) with 320tpi Veloflex Corsa / Vittoria Corsa CX Evo 23mm tyres on standard width rims.
    105psi (R) and 100psi (F) on 23mm Mavic tyres on wider 23mm rims (less chance on pinch punctures on the wider rims)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    75kg/12 stone, riding Conti GP 4000S 23c.
    About 110 rear, 100 front.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Barteos wrote:
    Science is not silent about it at all.
    You need to subscribe to Bicycle Quarterly and do a bit of deep digging on the web.
    Avoiding mainstream forums is also very recommended as they typically just spread myths and misinformation :wink: ...

The article about tyre pressure is available for free online, good reading! I am going to try the suggestions.

There is yet at least one other myth to be checked: It is often said that riding tyres at full pressure increase the puncture resistance. I sometimes wonder if this myth originated from people who ride with very low pressure and an increased risk of snake bites. After having had very many punctures the winter before, with 120 psi "only", I rode my bike with full pressure last winter. It worked, I had no punctures, but I also had much better tyres. I could as well have tested if a pebble in my pocket would protect me against extraterrestians...
  • Running around 95 on Conti 25s. I could drop it down as I'm light but I'm happy enough with the ride quality, even on the shoot roads round my way

I should add that I am approx 9st 8/61 kgs