Tyre pressures. How do you ride yours?

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
So, as title suggests, how do you guys ride your pressures? Do you have different psi for front and rear? Do you vary your pressures depending on conditions or is that too much hard work?

Comments

• seejay
    seejay Posts: 11
    Just pump it to the recommended PSI, always even front and back - unless different wheels.
    FYI, I do 100PSI front and back, min recommended for my 25mm is 90PSI, max of 110PSI.
  • plymouthsteve
    plymouthsteve Posts: 136
    I do max which is 110 psi front and back. I have to, because at 15 stone, it looks like I have a puncture else!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I run 100 front/rear on 25mm continental and find this much better and far more comfortable than the original 23mm with 110 front/rear.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    100 front and back on contis 25
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    110psi front and back on standard giant tyres, rated at 120 max, but found it too hard so let a little out
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • blueneedles
    blueneedles Posts: 74
    having 2 sets of wheels i have tried 2 different pressures, with the std set of wheels 28c ( kenda tyres )ive run them at 85-90psi but the alex rims 23c wheels (specialized mono) ive run them at 95-100 for the last 2 weeks but have topped them up tonight to see how the 120psi max pressure feels like :) ive only been rideing road bikes for the last 2 months so trying differnt stuff to see what i like...
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I use 100 psi front and rear on 23 tyres
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • ct8282
    Very interesting. Will up my pressures and see how I get on.
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    100 front and rear for me on Michelin pro race 3s
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    For the best performance on typical road surfaces you want the lowest pressure at which the bike still handles well and you don't suffer from pinch flats.
    Harder always feels faster but usually isn't :wink:

Also there's no reason why front and rear tyre should be inflated to the same pressure.
    They carry different loads (typically 60%/40%).
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Barteos wrote:
    For the best performance on typical road surfaces you want the lowest pressure at which the bike still handles well and you don't suffer from pinch flats.

Also there's no reason why front and rear tyre should be inflated to the same pressure.

This.

I use 85 rear and 80 front; 27x 1 1/4 (32mm) tyres on the main bike.
  • ct8282
    edited May 2013
    Barteos wrote:

I run lower psi in the front too. Makes sense to since the rear tyre takes more load.

I'd like to see the science behind your first statement though....
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    90 - 100 ! (more when I was racing)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Squash the tyre with my thumb. I wouldn't have a clue what psi I run at, it'd be interesting to check and see just how close I am to the correct psi.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Science seems to keep silent about this subject, scientists disappear in a cloud of "knowledge" that everybody seems to have. But there are a few simple rules that seem to persist and might be correct:

Road
    - There is a pressure at which the wheel rolls best. Higher pressure is possible but doesn't improve that.
    - Lower pressure is more comfortable
    - If the pressure is too low, you risk "snake bites" because small bumps in the road will compress the tube completely and push it against the rim sides.

Offroad
    - no idea, but people seem to ride much lower pressures, in order to get better grip on the soft and moving surfaces.

I am not super lightweight, my bikes aren't either, so I use the maximum pressure allowed on the tires. I am still experimenting with offroad pressure, having to find out, how low I can go.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    Depends on your weight, see this from Michelin:

http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=airpressure.view

I have mine at max pressure until I lose some weight!
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited May 2013
    Mindermast wrote:
    Science seems to keep silent about this subject, scientists disappear in a cloud of "knowledge" that everybody seems to have.

Science is not silent about it at all.
    You need to subscribe to Bicycle Quarterly and do a bit of deep digging on the web.
    Avoiding mainstream forums is also very recommended as they typically just spread myths and misinformation :wink:

In the latest issue of the above magazine they've tested three popular tyres (high end clincher and tubular and low end clincher) at various pressures on completely smooth tarmac (racing track).
    The (surprising) results clearly demonstrate that for typical narrow road tyres pressure from 60 to 120PSI makes almost no difference (max. 10W) in power required to maintain the same speed and it's not even a constant, predictable linear relationship. That's on a smooth tarmac!

What it means is that to go fast on real roads you can safely lower the pressure (in order to minimise "suspension loses" - energy wasted on bouncing up and down and... vibrating your body.) without worrying about increasing the hysteresis of the tyres.
    That's one of the reason why most of tyres that road bikes use nowadays are too narrow and don't allow running low enough pressures without risking pinch flats and rim damage. That's something that perhaps tubeless tyres will partially address.

I realize that it takes some time to get one's head around it but it really makes sense.

I recommend this magazine to anyone who prefers facts and numbers to fairy tales, especially the back issues with articles about rolling resistance of wider tyres... clinchers vs tubs etc... Very interesting reading.

P.S. Speaking of pressure... I run 2.1" wide tyres at 20PSI front and 30PSI rear (tubeless). My and av speeds hardly ever drop below 18.0mph 8)
  • mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    Neil_aky wrote:

http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=airpressure.view

Always reassuring when your off the scale!

I ride 108F/120R, however will try less as my sit bones have taken a bit of a kicking as the mileage has ramped up.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    Actually I am now on the scale (just!) thanks to cycling - four stone lost in 8 months.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    120 front 125 rear. Whilst its a bit harsher I do feel that my speed feels greater.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    About 110 on the front and 115 on the rear according to my temperamental track pump.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    90 front and 105-110 rear. Standard Giant tyres.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • gbredneck
    gbredneck Posts: 16
    Being heavy chap, i am riding 120 front and back on Schwalbe Durano's. Recently had a bike fit and they recommended the higher PSI.

Since upping the pressure the bike does seem faster.
    Road - Raleigh Airlite 400 : Hybrid - Sirrus Comp 2013 : MTB - Orange Clockwork (2013)
    And still not quick enough!
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    KevChallis wrote:
    110psi front and back on standard giant tyres, rated at 120 max, but found it too hard so let a little out
    I have the same bike (Giant Defy 3) and this is exactly what I do too.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Neil_aky wrote:

I am not even on the scale and the pressure in my 23C tyres is less than that recommended for someone whose mass is almost half mine. :oops:
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Conti 25mm tyres, 95psi F&R.
  • Running around 95 on Conti 25s. I could drop it down as I'm light but I'm happy enough with the ride quality, even on the shoot roads round my way
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    About 95psi on Conti 4 Seasons 25mm
  • ErikH
    ErikH Posts: 22
    i'm a big enough lump so 120 psi, front and back, I am on Specialized Espoir 23c tyres.
    Specialized Allez 16 - 2012
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Although all of the above posts will give you some ideas, they are totally irellavent as no one has included their weight.

I'm 13.5st and have my 23mm Ultremo ZXs at about 95psi front and rear. The same tyre and pressure would feel very different to a 10st rider.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved