My SantaCruz V10.5 Carbon custom build 30lbs Page 2

Comments

• Corners R Us
    Corners R Us Posts: 214
    Green with ENVE!!!! See what I did there.....

Enjoy your bike, its a stunna.

Corners
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Hey John, glad to have you back! Loving the built list so far.

I have a quick question. Have you ever had sideways slack develop in your Point One Podiums ?
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose Posts: 371
    chick0 wrote:

I have a quick question. Have you ever had sideways slack develop in your Point One Podiums ?

Hey man, how's the Jekyll?
    Point One's- Of the two years I've been using Point One's pedal I've never come across any sideways slack. Could it be the screw/nut is loose?
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • chick0
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    chick0 wrote:

Hey man, how's the Jekyll?
    Point One's- Of the two years I've been using Point One's pedal I've never come across any sideways slack. Could it be the screw/nut is loose?

The Jekyll is going good, still love riding it, its split personality really fits my riding styles perfectly right now. Also on a 2013 frameset now :D

I have about 2mm play in one pedal and about 1mm in the other. When i pull and push the pedals in a horizontal direction from the crank arms they play is obvious.
    I have stripped both pedals down, regreased and torqued, which seemed to help, but after a ride the play came back.
    Strange thing is the bearings felt smooth and tight, although its hard to fully feel the outer mini bearings (the pedals still spin very smoothly).
    I contacted Point One about 2 weeks ago, and after resending a host of mails they got back saying they would check with their engineering team and then get back to me.....Still waiting.....
    I'm struggling to find the bearing pack and replacing tool online in the UK, in fact i can't find the tool for sale anywhere online, not even on the Point One site. I would rather know what the cure is before forking out for the bearings and tool, hopefully Point One will have a solution.
  • Xgreygoose
    edited June 2013
    Here it is. Just finished over the weekend. Made a few changes with the parts list.
    I waited and waited and at last the Chris King 157mm rear hub came out. So I ditched the lighter DT Swiss 240. Also I got the first patch of the new 2014 FOX 40 FLOAT RC2. So happy that it weigh only 60grams more than the world cup Boxxer. Plus IMO looks more bad ass with 40mm stanchions. :) Anyway enough here some photos of dream DH rig :)

rightfrontlowfull_zps027b7111.jpg

Backrighthome_zps3604ff96.jpg

Frontrighthomefav_zps62cbe3e5.jpg

topenvestem_zpsf94dbe92.jpg

Envefrontfull_zps2e4c9f21.jpg

rearhalfcrank_zps02e1e8a4.jpg

frontmudgurad_zpsebaa4945.jpg

chriskingfront_zpsa3ba3c02.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose
    edited June 2013
    More detail photos

CCDBaircrank_zpsfbfd6939.jpg

A cheap and effective rear mud guard
    leftrearmudguard_zps9636908e.jpg

headsetandcap_zpsbb762f40.jpg

frontbrakeclose_zpsfce8d5f8.jpg

Rearlowbrakeshot_zpsf1c07b27.jpg

cassettechrisking_zps8a432057.jpg

mrpcrank12_zpsc676043f.jpg

pedal_zps9c4e7f71.jpg

gripbrake_zps90e74834.jpg

rightsidefront_zps6cf0b71d.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    BOOM!

This is actually bike p0rn
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Wow!!!! :shock: Living the dream for sure. Must have had alot of money to play with. Its sexy!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That thing cost more than my house. If you don't win every race you enter on that thing you have absolutely no excuse.
    Fit some Chris King hubs and you have pretty much the perfect build.
  • Xgreygoose
    Fit some Chris King hubs and you have pretty much the perfect build.

Cheers mate. Hmmm I actually do have CK hubs on it. :lol: The new spec 157mm x12mm rear and a normal 20mm front hub. Both black. :)
    cassettechriskingrev_zpsa3275e9f.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    And bike envy was had all across the lands!
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    so nice, but how much are you going to cry when you first scratch it or have a crash?
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Xgreygoose
    dusk wrote:
    so nice, but how much are you going to cry when you first scratch it or have a crash?

thanks..I guess like any new bike. The first scratch is always the hardest to take in. :cry: Once that happens the next lot are easier to take in. :):) Plus at the end of the day, its a mountain bike and SH!T happens. All I know I'm going to give it the beans when I'm out there. Happy trails :lol:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Goes without saying that's a lovely bike

I don't like the purple personally. I don't think it stands out enough. Kind of distracts from the carbon/lime effect, but not quite enough.

maybe not coming out in the photos enough
  • Xgreygoose
    DCR00 wrote:
    Goes without saying that's a lovely bike
    I don't like the purple personally. I don't think it stands out enough. Kind of distracts from the carbon/lime effect, but not quite enough.
    maybe not coming out in the photos enough

Thanks man, the purple does stand out pretty well. Just the photos are not showing it. And i do notice, its hard to show the bright neon yellow too. Bikeradar not helping by not allowing bigger pic's. :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • CrouchingPig
    CrouchingPig Posts: 112
    Holy hell, thats some build!
    very sweet!
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    wow nice!

but that set you back a bit

is it rude to ask how much that cost

im guessing not much change outta £2k atleast
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    More like 6k
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    More like 6k

that's a lot! wish I had 6k to use. :cry:

looks lovely thou. only really own something that good if down hill racing my job and not jus a hobby.

I would be scared of getting stolen or coming off it .

insurance premium must quite high aswell considering the bike worth.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    So, John, what happens to all your 'older' builds? Do you still ride them, or do they get sold off after a while to fund the next dream bike?
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    wow nice!

but that set you back a bit

is it rude to ask how much that cost

im guessing not much change outta £2k atleast

Find me that bike for less than £2k and I will be waving a pile of 20's at you..

Awesome build, best I have seen on here I think. I hope there are more pictures to come - avec mud!
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Lol @ £2k!!! What about the rest of the bike?

I've been looking at new bars tonight and came across those enve ones! All I'm saying is I think I'd cry if I had paid that much for a set of bars! Lol!

Looks nice though mate! Real nice! Good choice of parts too! Forks look beastly! Like the old zocchi monster T when they first came out!

Stunning!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Love the finished bike - I don't know much about bikes, but that looks gorgeous. The one I saw in Stif Cycles had 40mm Fox forks on too.
  • chick0
    Once again John, a perfect build! You're getting rather good at this ;)

A quick rundown of how it rides in comparison to your Nomad would be great (on the descents of course).
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I peed myself a little...
  • Awesome build!
  • Wow that really is a stunning bike. Thats gott abe one of the greatest DH bikes out there, woul rival anything you see in the UCI. Do you do any racing or is it just for pleasure?

I like the little touches, such as the stickers on the front mudguard and the grips.

Youll have to post a report on how it rides.

im guesing even 6k must be a reserved estimate. That carbon frame must have cost at least half that.
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice but why go so light unless your a serious racer riding long tracks?
    34t seems very small for a DH bike, 38t is more normal, surely you're just going to be spinning out on any fast sections.
    Anyway, pics of serious riding abuse please :-)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Very nice but why go so light unless your a serious racer riding long tracks?
    34t seems very small for a DH bike, 38t is more normal, surely you're just going to be spinning out on any fast sections.
    Anyway, pics of serious riding abuse please :-)

This is a pretty old thread now resurected by tatanka - havent seen XGreyGoose on here for a while - his builds were pretty lush though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I noticed he logged in yesterday (presumably because he got mailed about this thread resurrection), but he didn't post.