Rest advice pre Maratona

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,907
Doing the Maratona again this year and would ordinarily taper a wee bit in the week before by maintaining intensity but dropping length of training a bit.

This year though we'll be arriving a week before and doing some riding beforehand. Is it worth easing off more in the week before to really freshen up, and use the preceeding week to ride back into form, or is that over complicating matters?

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Sounds a plan.
    If you time those days with good rides to recce places before the Maratona, you should be fizzing with form.
    That previous experience should also give you an edge.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Theres no flat riding around that area so any riding you do will be heavy on climbing. We went out a few days before last year and just did short rides with a couple of the climbs on the route each day, and just a short ride the day before.

Probably depends on whether you want the absolute best time you could get on the day itself or whether you'd rather enjoy a good few days riding and perhaps go a bit slower on the day as a result? For me this is always the downside of these big 1 day events as we tend not to make the most of the area while we are there and are always saving ourselves for the main event. In many ways I'd just prefer a week in the Dolomites to ride as much as possible, although the carnival and atmosphere on the Maratona make it worthwhile!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    If its likely to be hot then going out early and getting acclimatised to the heat will probably compensate for any fatigue. For what its worth I've done the Marmotte a couple of times. First time I did 4 days riding beforehand. Second time I went out just before and was fitter and lighter. My times for both were within 5 mins of each other. Although the conditions were the same I definitely felt the heat more the second time and on the climbs my HR was higher than it should have been for the power output. I like your idea of tapering beforehand then getting more riding in. At the end of the day you're not in Italy that often so it would be a shame not to take advantage.
  • phreak
    Yes, I mean we're in Corvara so I don't think there's an awful lot else to do, so we thought going out for a few hours in the morning, then relax in the afternoon/evening. The longeset ride during the week is probably going to be 100km, so not huge. As you say, shame not to take advantage of the climbing whilst there.

Just hope the weather improves.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    twotyred wrote:
    If its likely to be hot

I don't think there's any chance of that this year, lol.

I am driving down on the Friday before the event. But then it's not so far for me to travel and I can do big climbs much more easily due to my location.
  • phreak
    Just looked at a 10 day forecast for Corvara and it isn't predicted to get above 11!! Still has a month to go and all, but boy it would be nice if it was a bit warmer than that :(
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Yes at 11'c and i ll be staying home, it ll be warmer :)

Something i ve done slightly differently in this years training is some really early morning long rides (im not a morning person!) personally,i never found the heat to be an issue and would a week be long enough for any aclimatisation?

As we are staying in San Cassiano, going to ride the Sella ronda course on the wednesday afternoon (gf is going to ride up the Gaiu !) easy on thursday and a day off on fri, perhaps just a few efforts up the campologo on the saturday....thats the plan anyhow!

Skis and snow shoes for Sunday?
  • phreak
    Hopefully it'll be reasonably warm. Every continental sportive I've done thus far has been in smashing weather. The start is always a bit of a challenge, what with waiting around before the roll off in the cold and navigating through the masses on the first few climbs/descents.

Was thinking of going up the Passo della Erbe during the week before. Looks a beautiful loop, and I dare say the Sella ronde course will be done as well.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    phreak wrote:
    Yes, I mean we're in Corvara so I don't think there's an awful lot else to do, so we thought going out for a few hours in the morning, then relax in the afternoon/evening. The longeset ride during the week is probably going to be 100km, so not huge. As you say, shame not to take advantage of the climbing whilst there.

Just hope the weather improves.

I tend to perform best with a bit of mileage in my legs so if you feel similar then I can't see any harm in riding on the days before hand. Just keep things steady and make sure you are eating well and getting plenty of sleep.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1