My Pimped Apollo Outrider

fuzzysb
fuzzysb Posts: 20
edited June 2013 in Your mountain bikes
I bought an Apollo outrider from Halfords as i was just cycling to keep fit, but then one visit to our local trail center (Gisburn Forest) got me hooked and made me realise my bike was seriously underspecced. so my plan was to upgrade the components on the Apollo Frame and then look at replacing the frame at a later date when i can afford it and the wife wont complain.

so here it is, its got shimano acera groupset, Clarks S2 Hydraulic brakes, Rock Shox Recon Forks and a Fox Float racing 165mm rear shock (not in this pic as hadn't arrived yet)

bikec.jpg

Comments

• gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I like that. Nice addition with the Scott sticker haha :lol: What frame are you going to get to replace this one?
  • fuzzysb
    Well its no good advertising to everyone that you a cheapskate ;-) i don't know what frame I'm going to go for. I dont want to spend a fortune maybe 500 ish for a full suspension frame, but i know i will be pushing it for that price so i will keep my eyes out for a decent second hand one......unless anyone has some suggestions
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    How about something like THIS?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • gt-arrowhead
    I think you should go for a Trax frame...joking.

I think JBAs link looks good. Those are pretty popular choices from what ive seen on the net.

You have to bear in mind that you might have compatibility issues with changing frames and trying to keep every part from that. If anything, you could try and get something thats under budget and use the rest of your budget for a few upgrades or for new parts that you might not be able to transfer from the Scott :lol: to the new frame.
  • fuzzysb
    yes, JBA's link looks good and i would love that, but alas i think the frame would be too small, as i am 6' 2". but i couldn't upgrade now anyway, i will have to leave it some time before i do the upgrade to let my bank balance recover and appease the missus, i will have to show i will make heavy use of it. what i have got now will do for the time being. its heavy but it rides really well.

I have deliberately gone for the components i have because if i go for a 26" 1 1/8 " disc compatible frame all the components will fit. the steerer tube has not been cut at all on the fork from new as being tall i didn't need to, all i needed to do was get the right combination of spacers.

so i would think i could transfer all the components. it just excludes me from using tapered headset frames
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    fuzzysb wrote:
    so i would think i could transfer all the components. it just excludes me from using tapered headset frames

You can run straight steerer forks in a tapered headset frames you just need an adaptor crown washer :D
  • fuzzysb
    Well that i didn't know, that broadens my horizons a bit for the future, thanks
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    ......... :shock:
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    We all have to start somewhere I guess......

Can I suggest that maybe you start building a new bike totally and just ride this one into the ground? That way you can spec the bike exactly how you wish without wearing parts out/damaging other parts in the mean time.

It might seem harsh, but you will probably waste a lot of money on the Apollo otherwise.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    *AJ* wrote:

It might seem harsh, but you will probably waste a lot of money on the Apollo otherwise.
    he's already wasted a lot of money on it :lol: .......but like above, we all have to start somewhere, and the main thing is, he's enjoying it, which is the whole point, isn't it ?......anyone remember "Ralph" viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12854734&hilit=ralph
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • *AJ*
    chez_m356 wrote:
    *AJ* wrote:

he's already wasted a lot of money on it :lol: .......but like above, we all have to start somewhere, and the main thing is, he's enjoying it, which is the whole point, isn't it ?......anyone remember "Ralph" viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12854734&hilit=ralph

Interesting read. LOL

Its the picture at the end that does it for me, all that work and money and the geometry just looks all wrong in the final picture. It looks so short.

Fair play to him though, and the guy in this thread. Im sure we've all been guilty of speccing up a crappy bike at some point in our lives!
  • gt-arrowhead
    *AJ* wrote:
    Im sure we've all been guilty of speccing up a crappy bike at some point in our lives!

My GT springs to mind... :lol: Love it though. And that is indeed all that matters. If you love riding it, thats it. Nothing more!
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* wrote:
    Im sure we've all been guilty of speccing up a crappy bike at some point in our lives!

My GT springs to mind... :lol: Love it though. And that is indeed all that matters. If you love riding it, thats it. Nothing more!

A GT is not a crappy bike!..... I had an arrowhead many moons ago and loved it!

An Apollo/catalogue bike is a bit crappy though.
  • gt-arrowhead
    My GT isnt the best of specs, and everyone else says its crap, and its quite old. But still my fave :)

This Apollo is better speced than mine haha.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Remember the days when threads didn't all end up being about GT Arrowhead's GT Arrowhead?
  • gt-arrowhead
    Just because it gets mentioned doesnt mean its about my bike mate.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Remember the days when threads didn't all end up being about GT Arrowhead's GT Arrowhead?
      vaguely, was that when these were all the rage ?
      324960_10100201365618481_879069345_o.jpg
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • rgliniany
      rgliniany Posts: 753
      Just because it gets mentioned doesnt mean its about my bike mate.

TBF you did just bring it into the thread yourself....
      It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
    • fuzzysb
      I totally disagree though that i shouldn't have pimped it, simple fact is though now i know how to strip a bike and rebuild from scratch, that skill alone is priceless.

total cost though on this bike (the bike cost 149 originally) is roughly £550 in total. looking at the specs of other bike for the same price this far exceeds them (with the exception of weight). I then of course have spend a further £90 on tools. and as i have a further 3 bikes to maintain in my house they are a worthwhile investment.

But my end total will be around 1000 for a bike which ultimately i can enjoy from now. rather than waiting until i would have the money.

But it is totally about the fun of it. and learning, which will save me money in the long run, not having to run back to the LBS all the time
    • The Rookie
      The Rookie Posts: 27,812
      It is valuable learning, but look at my Kraken (link in sig), that was achieved for less that you've paid....
      Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
    • welshkev
      welshkev Posts: 9,690
      It is valuable learning, but look at my Kraken (link in sig), that was achieved for less that you've paid....

I built up my cove stiffee for a similar amount to what he's paid out already :shock:
    • fuzzysb
      That may well be, simple fact is though, i bought a bike of the shelf which cost me more, i have left over a full groupset and disk brakes and wheels from that bike. I have already bought another second hand Rock shox forks for £70 and an aluminium hard tail frame for 50, so will make this bike up for my son. so overall i will have two decent enough specified bikes for £670.

I know people bang on about the weight all the time, but since i ride the mountains in switzerland to and from work every day on my other steel framed bike i like the punishment, and i now look buff
    • stubs
      stubs Posts: 5,001
      Not the way I would have gone about it but your obviously having fun and after all thats the main (only) thing.
      Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
    • welshkev
      stubs wrote:
      Not the way I would have gone about it but your obviously having fun and after all thats the main (only) thing.
      ^ very true.

Sorry OP I wasn't knocking what you're doing, it's just not what u would've done. But as I've said before, the world would be boring if everyone was the same :)
    • gt-arrowhead
      You are absolutely right about the skill of knowing your bike inside out being priceless. Theres no point of having an amazing bike that you dont know how to keep going and changing stuff.

2nd hand frames are actually quite cheap depending on how new you are looking to go, and what type of bike your looking for (Full sus, Hardtail etc) And TBF you shouldnt really be in a rush to get a frame as soon as possible, especially since you have a couple more bikes. If i were you id wait for something thats exactly what you are looking for, you have a bike in the mean time so its all good. If it costs 550 now, then i doubt you would end up spending 450 on a frame alone, unless thats what you are aiming to do to get something really high end.

The only thing id change on that is the seat post and the seat, then it would be spot on. That seat post is the one where they clamp from the sides, and they have a nasty reputation of getting their contact areas stripped when going over a harsh bump, and you cant get them tightened up again. And im assuming that seat is the stock apollo one? They are dreadful, judging by the apollos ive been on.
    • welshkev
      You are absolutely right about the skill of knowing your bike inside out being priceless. Theres no point of having an amazing bike that you dont know how to keep going and changing stuff.

um, that's what bike shops are for :lol:
    • gt-arrowhead
      welshkev wrote:

um, that's what bike shops are for :lol:

:lol: But building it yourself is half of the fun with bikes!
    • *AJ*
      And TBF you shouldnt really be in a rush to get a frame as soon as possible, especially since you have a couple more bikes. If i were you id wait for something thats exactly what you are looking for, you have a bike in the mean time so its all good. If it costs 550 now, then i doubt you would end up spending 450 on a frame alone, unless thats what you are aiming to do to get something really high end.

The only thing id change on that is the seat post and the seat, then it would be spot on.

I disagree with this totally....

I really cannot imagine the Apollo riding very well at all, no matter what shock is in it.

Eventually he will buy a more expensive suspension bike/frame and when he does he will kick himself for not doing it sooner.

There is a reason (far more than one to be fair) why expensive bike are expensive and cheap ones are cheap, and its not just the components.

I may sound snobby, but that's not what I am trying to do. As is true with most things "you get what you pay for" this is especially true with mountain bikes & parts.
    • fuzzysb
      The only thing id change on that is the seat post and the seat, then it would be spot on.

now that is one thing that is needing changed, i wanted to get a nice slim white seat and post, but stay on the cheaper side with the seat, i saw some good reviews on a white saddle, but i cant find it again and it was cheap around £20

and as for imagining it not riding well, you are wrong, it rides exceptionally well, and i have ridden far more expensive bikes. you obviously buy into the hype around some of the more expensive gear, but thats fine for you

simple fact is the only original thing left it the seat, seatpost, handlebar and frame, do you honestly think the differences in use as massive, except for the weight. i think its naive to say that a alu or carbon frame are any better than a steel in rideability. you are paying for the weight loss and the lighter it is the easier to get up hills. but i will stay heavier and get my weight loss in other ways
    • gt-arrowhead
      I went from a Steel Raleigh to an Aluminium GT. The GT was lighter by a mile, and the ride was alot worse in terms of comfort. Bounced around quite alot in comparison to the Raleigh, but it depends what compromise you are going for really, comfort and ride quality or lightness and speed (though bouncing too much does slow you down a little)

As for the seat, try out a Charge Spoon. Havent owned one myself but ive seen so many people on here with them on their bikes, and ive seen people recommend it before, so maybe you should try it out. Heres the white one.
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHARGE-Spoon- ... 2a2b0642e2

I didnt realise your bars + stem werent original either, might be worth changing those too as i guess they are steel. (usually are on apollos) Its one of the best ways to change your bike. You can change bar style, stem length etc obviously to how you want it, while losing a fair bit of weight.