Giro Stage 19 (Gavia / Stelvio) - what alternatives ?

2»

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    goonz wrote:
    Bloody hell, They cleared all that snow in a day. UK comes to a grinding halt with a few inches of the stuff!

No, they'll have only cleared any fresh snow today, they would've been clearing that for a while. They have the right kit for the job which we don't in this country. Their main industry over the winter is tourism, so it's in their interest to have the right kit to keep the roads open (although they won't have kept the high passes open over winter they will have the kit locally to keep the access roads to the ski resorts open).

If it snows heavily in the flatlands in most of Europe it's still mayhem on the roads.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,998
    Pross wrote:
    Carlton Kirby ‏@carltonkirby 11m
    Good news this evening: The mountains will be ridden!!!! Giro climbs on xxx

Carlton said it - expect a completely flat stage in the valley then :lol:

He can do frig all right.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I'd got the stage all marked out on my map! Now I'll have to go back and move the little blue sticky things!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    give the riders some mittens and some cyclocross knobblies and send them up there i say.
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,945
    It'll never happen.
    Snow at the start town.
    Snowing down to 500 metres.
    http://www.ilmeteo.eu/meteo/Ponte%20di%20legno
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Le Commentateur - many thanks for posting those photographs, a very similar one to the last one was in April's edition of ProCycling but wasn't titled so it's been bugging me as to where it was. I'm assuming it is the Stelvio and not the Gavia?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,945
    RIP Stage 19.
    Ponte di Legno, May 24, 2013 - Due to the adverse weather conditions and the presence of snow all over the race course, the 19 to stage of the Tour of Italy, Ponte di Legno - Martell is set aside.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.