Giro Stage 19 (Gavia / Stelvio) - what alternatives ?

dsoutar
dsoutar Posts: 1,746
edited May 2013 in Pro race
As the forecast for Friday on any number of websites has it snowing (potentially heavily) most of the day and the freezing level at ~1500m, are there any alternatives open to the organisers ?

Given the fact that they binned half of the Bardonecchia stage over much lower roads I think this must be in jeopardy.

The only possibilities I can see is having it finish at Bormio or if they want to keep the same finish maybe have the route go via Cles and over the Passo Palade and through Merano. Not sure what the precedents are for either cancelling or severely altering what a stage does. Surely the organisational side of this would be a nightmare given the short notice.

Thoughts ?

Edit: And of course there's the issue of the Cima Coppi. Visconti could get it by default now I guess if they take out the Gavia and Stelvio (unless the finish point on the Galibier was lower than the finish at Tre Cime de Lavaredo)

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    I'd rather they cancel than have some farcical stage with mountains cut out and / or neutralised by the riders.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    For the Cima Coppi, the Galibier is lower than the finish at Tre Cime de Lavaredo by about 100 metres.
    That's the good news.
    The bad news is that the forecast for Saturday is a lot worse than Friday.

I honestly don't know what the answer is, but I fear that both planned stages will not be ridable.

There are plenty of smaller hills in the area, but whether Aquarone will go down this path is debatable.
    My guess is that we will get the usual procrastination, followed by Pross's nightmare scenario.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    In recent years we've often see better racing in some of the medium mountain/classics stages than we have in the really high mountains so hopefully they can reroute the stage over some lower altitude roads, but still give a decent route. I don't know that part of the world well enough to know how practical this is.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Pross wrote:
    I'd rather they cancel than have some farcical stage with mountains cut out and / or neutralised by the riders.

This, but obviously the race is dictated by the sponsors/start+finish Towns so it's unlikely to ever come to that. Some people paid a whole load of money to have the Giro pass through their villages and cities.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd rather some racing than nothing and if a few smaller climbs can be thrown in then it could still be a worthwhile day even if the potential for it to impact on tue GC is smaller.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    dsoutar wrote:
    As the forecast for Friday on any number of websites has it snowing (potentially heavily) most of the day and the freezing level at ~1500m, are there any alternatives open to the organisers ?

The only possibilities I can see is having it finish at Bormio or if they want to keep the same finish maybe have the route go via Cles and over the Passo Palade and through Merano. Not sure what the precedents are for either cancelling or severely altering what a stage does. Surely the organisational side of this would be a nightmare given the short notice.

Thoughts ?
    Having made a radical route change for stage 14, I don’t see why it shouldn’t be possible to do something like you suggest for stage 19.

But I wouldn’t take them over the Passo Palade (Gampen Pass), it’s too easy from that side (average about 4%). I’d take them over the * Passo Castrin (Hofmahd). Admittedly it’s about 5 km shorter (it’s a 9 km long ascent from the south) but it’s pretty steep (average about 9%).

The Castrin is, when just north of Cles, instead of heading to the NE and the Palade, one heads directly north. The road then rejoins the route over the Palade just SW of Merano.

If Acquarone wanted to make it harder again, they could head towards the Palade, then at Fondo turn west and go over the Brezer Joch (6 km at average 10%). At the bottom of its descent, one comes out near the foot of the Castrin, so still have 8 km of its climb ahead.

Both the Castrin and the Brezer Joch have stretches at 15%.

It's conceivable the finish at over 2000 m might also not be possible due to weather (pity because just before the finish, there is 1 km with 10 hairpins at 11-12%). If that turns out to be the case, I'd still keep the finish in the Martel valley, at about 2/3 up the valley just after where there is 600 m at 20%.

(* The Passo Castrin is in good nick - reputedly, a few years ago the Province of Bolzano had excess money in their annual roadworks programme, and rather than return it at the end of the year to the central government in Rome, the Province spent it on this pass, although based on traffic there was absolutely no need for it to be more than the narrow unmaintained track it once was.)
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Christ - talk about local knowledge !

Your name is Mauro Vegni and I claim my €5
  • Pross
    Thinking about it, a couple of pan flat days to help Cav win the points jersey would be good :lol:
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    @INRG reporting

Temperatures of -14°C + snow means Friday's & Saturday's #giro mountain stages at risk. Race working on alternative routes says La Gazzetta
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • blazing_saddles
    Yes, route changes now almost a certainty, although they rather optimistically hold onto the possibility
    of keeping the finishes.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/snow-se ... ro-ditalia

Tre Cimi to become Demi Cimi, imo.
  • esafosfina1
    esafosfina1 Posts: 153
    Cancel the stage... make it interesting: a ten mile TT... on the rollers! :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    Gavia today...

13128196.jpg
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    That looks quite similar to the Gavia most years...

You have to think that they would have considered alternative routes etc before today.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    If the race was going over today I think they might take a chance, the issue they have is that the forecast for Friday and Saturday is very bad and, rightly so, the safety of the riders is paramount.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    05.jpg

OK, not quite as high, but still....
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Gavia today...

13128196.jpg

Imagine the pictures of the riders riding through that. Never going to happen, though.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    In recent years we've often see better racing in some of the medium mountain/classics stages than we have in the really high mountains so hopefully they can reroute the stage over some lower altitude roads, but still give a decent route. I don't know that part of the world well enough to know how practical this is.

Thats true that - the better racing, or better racing spectacle, has come when those fighting for a top ten spot feel the parcours allows them an attack - and if their attacks threaten the podium thats when it all kicks off - good call - let it snow let it snow let snow :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    ThomThom wrote:
    Gavia today...

13128196.jpg

Imagine the pictures of the riders riding through that. Never going to happen, though.

I was thinking the same thing. Even if they don't race then they should have to ride for photos just so we can show them to non-cycling friends to show what a hard sport it is :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    Tomorrows stage will be Ponte di Legno - Tonale - Passo Castrin - Passo delle Foreste - Val Martello.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Tomorrows stage will be Ponte di Legno - Tonale - Passo Castrin - Passo delle Foreste - Val Martello.

No Gavia? :(
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • blazing_saddles
    Seems to be the alternative route, although no one seems to know where the Passo delle Foreste is!
    However, they haven't ruled out the original route altogether.
    ATM, they seem more concerned about no plane and RAI having to use a relay of helis, instead of the weather.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Working hard on the Gavia & Stelvio today.

Giro2013_Gavia3_zps03bcdcf4.jpg~original
    Giro2013_Gavia2_zpsa782f864.jpg~original
    Giro2013_Gavia1_zps90954696.jpg~original
    Giro2013_Gavia4_zps5f74eca5.jpg~original
    Giro2013_Gavia5_zps254d5f86.jpg~original
    Giro2013_Gavia6_zps1523a658.jpg~original
    Giro2013_Gavia8_zps3e7bfeb1.jpg~original
    Giro2013_Gavia7_zpsd6d04c88.jpg~original
    Giro2013_Gavia9_zps96f3b14c.jpg~original
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Carlton Kirby ‏@carltonkirby 11m
    Good news this evening: The mountains will be ridden!!!! Giro climbs on xxx
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    Yeah, but most likely these, not those.
    Plan B.
    8108072080.jpg
  • Pross
    Carlton Kirby ‏@carltonkirby 11m
    Good news this evening: The mountains will be ridden!!!! Giro climbs on xxx

Carlton said it - expect a completely flat stage in the valley then :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    As if on cue. Stelvio and Gavia confirmed as out.
    New, "definitive" route:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/823d3a40b5 ... nitiva.pdf
  • Pross
    Looks like a reasonable alternative although I'll miss the Stelvio - I got a nice long kip as they 'raced' up it last year.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Bloody hell, They cleared all that snow in a day. UK comes to a grinding halt with a few inches of the stuff!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Just a heads up that eurosport coverage starts at 11.30 gmt tomorrow - so get your bacon butties made early :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.