Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Star nuts, expanders and not a carbon steerer

bernie1973bernie1973 Posts: 86
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Anybody got any preferences for traditional SFN vs Head Doctor vs expander such as this:
http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=70&p=854&

Only ever used SFN before but am getting new forks (xfusion trace if that makes any odds) and so wondered about trying alternative.

Posts

  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,802
    SFN - cheapest, lightest, works, what is not to like?
    Current steed - Whyte T129, 2013 frame, mongrel Revelations, Giant dropper, Stans S1 wheelset. 12, Magura Trail Sport brakes, 1x11. 12.8Kg
  • estampidaestampida Posts: 1,008
    so after the first head doctor I bought, I got 3 for the other bikes

    work well and don't come loose if assembled correctly - and the unlikely event it is broke - (also you can by single parts of the head doctor to repair it)

    have used an azonic head lock as well, super secure, and USE also make a similar device

    and when you come to sell or change forks the inside of the steerer has not had a car crash.....
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    This vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    SFN - cheapest, lightest, works, what is not to like?

    Not this vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    estampida wrote:
    so after the first head doctor I bought, I got 3 for the other bikes

    work well and don't come loose if assembled correctly - and the unlikely event it is broke - (also you can by single parts of the head doctor to repair it)

    have used an azonic head lock as well, super secure, and USE also make a similar device

    and when you come to sell or change forks the inside of the steerer has not had a car crash.....
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,802
    estampida wrote:
    work well and don't come loose if assembled correctly
    Well as you can remove it totally once you've assembled (the stem) correctly, how was that relevant?
    Current steed - Whyte T129, 2013 frame, mongrel Revelations, Giant dropper, Stans S1 wheelset. 12, Magura Trail Sport brakes, 1x11. 12.8Kg
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    I use hope top caps with star nuts. the heavy unneeded hed docs are either in my tool box or a bin in Sweden.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    oh I do have some tensioners that have top and bottom caps. and an alloy rod through the middle.

    quite useful.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,802
    Just bought a bike with one of those in it.....now sold on the bay though I dare say they have their use in the right place, do stop mud going up inside the steerer if nothing else!
    Current steed - Whyte T129, 2013 frame, mongrel Revelations, Giant dropper, Stans S1 wheelset. 12, Magura Trail Sport brakes, 1x11. 12.8Kg
  • bernie1973bernie1973 Posts: 86
    Cheers folks. It would seem that nuts is the Pattonesque answer.
  • GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
    bernie1973 wrote:
    Cheers folks. It would seem that nuts is the Pattonesque answer.

    Brig. Gen Anthony McAuliffe - Patton was still miles down the road.

    Even in an alloy or steel steerer, there's something appealing for me about something that's easy to get out - I just have all sorts of engineering-based prejudices, and like things that are easier to get apart.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bernie1973bernie1973 Posts: 86
    Will happily bow to your superior historical knowledge, but think I'll stick with a star nut anyway.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    oh I do have some tensioners that have top and bottom caps. and an alloy rod through the middle.

    quite useful.

    Got one of those... don't work with all forks though :(

    Nice though, esp if the SFN does start to slip and you need something else.
  • estampidaestampida Posts: 1,008
    estampida wrote:
    work well and don't come loose if assembled correctly
    Well as you can remove it totally once you've assembled (the stem) correctly, how was that relevant?

    well if you read the hope instructions it says to grease the inside of the wedge

    lots of people don't, and it does not tighten up correctly and therefore will move up the head tube as you tighten the top bolt

    but use whatever you want
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,802
    I think you've missed the point totally - never mind.
    Current steed - Whyte T129, 2013 frame, mongrel Revelations, Giant dropper, Stans S1 wheelset. 12, Magura Trail Sport brakes, 1x11. 12.8Kg
Sign In or Register to comment.