Star nuts, expanders and not a carbon steerer

bernie1973
bernie1973 Posts: 86
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Anybody got any preferences for traditional SFN vs Head Doctor vs expander such as this:
http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=70&p=854&

Only ever used SFN before but am getting new forks (xfusion trace if that makes any odds) and so wondered about trying alternative.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SFN - cheapest, lightest, works, what is not to like?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so after the first head doctor I bought, I got 3 for the other bikes

work well and don't come loose if assembled correctly - and the unlikely event it is broke - (also you can by single parts of the head doctor to repair it)

have used an azonic head lock as well, super secure, and USE also make a similar device

and when you come to sell or change forks the inside of the steerer has not had a car crash.....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    SFN - cheapest, lightest, works, what is not to like?

Not this vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    estampida wrote:
    so after the first head doctor I bought, I got 3 for the other bikes

work well and don't come loose if assembled correctly - and the unlikely event it is broke - (also you can by single parts of the head doctor to repair it)

have used an azonic head lock as well, super secure, and USE also make a similar device

and when you come to sell or change forks the inside of the steerer has not had a car crash.....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    estampida wrote:
    work well and don't come loose if assembled correctly
    Well as you can remove it totally once you've assembled (the stem) correctly, how was that relevant?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I use hope top caps with star nuts. the heavy unneeded hed docs are either in my tool box or a bin in Sweden.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    oh I do have some tensioners that have top and bottom caps. and an alloy rod through the middle.

quite useful.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Just bought a bike with one of those in it.....now sold on the bay though I dare say they have their use in the right place, do stop mud going up inside the steerer if nothing else!
  • bernie1973
    Cheers folks. It would seem that nuts is the Pattonesque answer.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    bernie1973 wrote:
    Cheers folks. It would seem that nuts is the Pattonesque answer.

Brig. Gen Anthony McAuliffe - Patton was still miles down the road.

Even in an alloy or steel steerer, there's something appealing for me about something that's easy to get out - I just have all sorts of engineering-based prejudices, and like things that are easier to get apart.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bernie1973
    Will happily bow to your superior historical knowledge, but think I'll stick with a star nut anyway.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    oh I do have some tensioners that have top and bottom caps. and an alloy rod through the middle.

quite useful.

Got one of those... don't work with all forks though :(

Nice though, esp if the SFN does start to slip and you need something else.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    estampida wrote:
    work well and don't come loose if assembled correctly
    Well as you can remove it totally once you've assembled (the stem) correctly, how was that relevant?

well if you read the hope instructions it says to grease the inside of the wedge

lots of people don't, and it does not tighten up correctly and therefore will move up the head tube as you tighten the top bolt

but use whatever you want
  • The Rookie
    I think you've missed the point totally - never mind.