Post ride milkshake flavour?

cotti
cotti Posts: 96
Yo, ive seen alot of people reccomend a chocolate milkshake as a good post ride recovery drink but i was wondering if the flavour makes a difference as i much prefer bannana?

Cheers:)

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    cotti wrote:
    Yo, ive seen alot of people reccomend a chocolate milkshake as a good post ride recovery drink but i was wondering if the flavour makes a difference as i much prefer bannana?

Cheers:)

Harden up lad and drink it neat
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    If I have one I usually make my own. Two bananas, handful of oats, half a pint of milk and blend it all up. Lovely.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Why does it even matter? Just drink whatever flavour you like best :-s
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    If you make a dark colored like shake like chocolate it's likely to absorb more anti-recovery protiens, whereas a lighter shade of shake like banana tends to reflect free atoms.
  • Some scientists agree that chocolate is best in the 20-40 minute post-exercise window, however if you consume outside of this window then the shake flavour matters less.
  • cotti
    Buckles wrote:
    Why does it even matter? Just drink whatever flavour you like best :-s

Exactly what I asked unfortunalty no one seems to know:)
  • buckles
    Flavour is just flavour, I'm pretty sure that the molecules responsible for how something tastes have no siginificant effect on glycogen resynthesis or muscle fibre repair. Protein and carbohydrate content is what matters.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • cotti
    Buckles wrote:
    Flavour is just flavour, I'm pretty sure that the molecules responsible for how something tastes have no siginificant effect on glycogen resynthesis or muscle fibre repair. Protein and carbohydrate content is what matters.

Cheers mate:)
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    flavoured drinks are usually full of crap including processed sugar. A glass of milk and a banana has got to be better no?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Without showing my age, anyone remember this from their childhood? Always a good way to choose your milkshake flavour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHcl8fsRhRM
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I've recently found Coco-pops to be a good post ride treat. Not only do you get a meal (if sorts) but a chocolate milkshake too :D
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Malted recovery drink

becks-beer-bottle_1_1.jpg
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    meursault wrote:
    Malted recovery drink

becks-beer-bottle_1_1.jpg

:lol::lol:
    We're all coming to yours for a BikeRadar group ride. We'll all be needing malted recovery drinks afterwards of course - please keep some in the fridge ready for us
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    The post-exercise 'recovery nutrition' should include about 20 grams of easy to digest protein, and around 80 grams of easy to digest carbs. Try to avoid excessive fat. And make sure to also drink plenty of water for hydration. The protein is for rebuilding of muscle tissue from the strain of exercise, and the carbs are to replace what was burned for energy during the exercise.

Low fat chocolate milk is often recommended.
    I guess that a milkshake would be ok, but it might also contain a lot of fat depending on what type of ice cream / frozen yogurt was used. If it tastes TOO good, then it's probably more for pleasure than for recovery.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    JayKosta wrote:
    The post-exercise 'recovery nutrition' should include about 20 grams of easy to digest protein, and around 80 grams of easy to digest carbs. Try to avoid excessive fat. And make sure to also drink plenty of water for hydration. The protein is for rebuilding of muscle tissue from the strain of exercise, and the carbs are to replace what was burned for energy during the exercise.

I guess that a milkshake would be ok, but it might also contain a lot of fat depending on what type of ice cream / frozen yogurt was used. If it tastes TOO good, then it's probably more for pleasure than for recovery.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

Yeah, yeah ,yeah

But, what flavour???????
  • buckles
    JayKosta wrote:

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

Yeah, yeah ,yeah

But, what flavour???????

water flavour
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I just have a glass of milk, perhaps a banana with / in it
  • Milk plus two spoons of Nesquick Chocolate powder for me... I don't like banana flavour!
  • Milk plus two spoons of Nesquick Chocolate powder for me... I don't like banana flavour!

Does your mum make it for you?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    My new improved post ride smoothie:

Scoop of MyProtien Impact Whey
    Scoop of oats
    Milk
    Squirt of honey
    Scoop of frozen berries

Epic!
  • smoggysteve