Cramping

goldcol
goldcol Posts: 20
Hi there,

I carried out the Wye Valley Warrior Sportive on Sunday, it was a pretty hot day and I am a sweater. I have had comments from people saying they have never seen anyone sweat so much. On the day I had 2 x 750ml Lucazade energy drinks in the first 1hr 15 At the feed station I got another 2 x 750ml of Hi 5 energy drink which I drank, after the next stop 60 miles in I got another 2 x 750ml energy drinks. I was also having Gels, jelly beans and bananas. Once I set of after the 60miles stop I was getting terrible cramps, I got them in my right hamstring, my left quad and right quad and strangely the inside of my leg (inside the thigh) this was extremely painful. It lasted about a mile and I had to take it really careful. When I got to the 80 mile stop I did some stretching more energy stuff and bananas and I was alright so started pushing again and then got cramp again at 92miles, hamstring and inside thigh.

It is really confusing me, I sweat a lot but drank more than most. Other people still had a bottle to spare by the time they go to the feed stations, I was empty.

Historically I did LEJOG’s about 4 years ago and just done a few 40 mile summer rides since. However this year I set myself the challenge of doing C2C in a day. I have probable done about 8 long rides since spring and built up to my first 75 miler a couple of weeks ago. I was pushing pretty hard at the start of this Wye Valley challenge and finished in 5hr 40. I am just really confused with these cramps, can anyone offer me advice or had the same issues before???

I would like to add from 60 miles on I always felt there was a possibility of cramping.

Cheers,
Col

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    I think we lack understanding of what causes cramping a lot of the time, but I suspect in many cases it's more a fitness issue than a salt issue. I've tended to cramp when I've gone over my limit.
  • kemic68
    kemic68 Posts: 43
    Another sweater here.Every time i used to get to around 50 miles I would get cramp.Started taking hydration tablets such as Zero High 5 or SIS Go Hydro and no more cramp
  • motd2k
    motd2k Posts: 71
    I think in most cases on the bike, you'll find that localised cramping has little to do with hydration. More often than not it's your body's way of telling you that you're over exerting, be that from lack of cycle specific fitness or from a sub-optimal bike fit.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I haven't had cramp for a couple of years, but last night for some reason I kept getting that horrible feeling at the bottom of my right calf. The one that suggests a painful spasm is just seconds away. I kept on backing off, changing down and spinning more, and gulping down electrolyte drink, but it kept returning for 3 or 4 miles. Like having a Jack Russel nipping at my leg. This was at the lowest point of the ride when I was on the flat following the river. I thought I'd really be in trouble when I had to climb out of the valley, but for some reason I was able to climb both seated and standing without any problem and the pain disappeared. Maybe the electrolytes in the drink did the trick? Who knows?
  • hasbeen
    hasbeen Posts: 41
    goldcol wrote:
    Hi there,

I carried out the Wye Valley Warrior Sportive on Sunday, ..... Once I set of after the 60miles stop I was getting terrible cramps, ...... and then got cramp again at 92miles, hamstring and inside thigh.

Historically I did LEJOG’s about 4 years ago and just done a few 40 mile summer rides since. ....I have probable done about 8 long rides since spring and built up to my first 75 miler a couple of weeks ago.

Not enough training imo. Far too sporadic so you've got no base to call on and you're simply not used to the effort. It's like when you see novice marathon runners cramping after 20 miles because unless they've done a few marathons in the preceding couple of years they're simply not used to running at that steady pace for that far. You will also see this phenomenon amongst some roadies in the first few events of the year unless they've done proper training (simulating race efforts, jumping about, etc) over the winter.
    I'd wager that if you targeted another sportive in a couple of months and kept up the same volume of training or maybe more, then the cramp issue would disappear
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I rarely get any cramp, apart from on one hill. Its 3 miles long, average 4% ish. I always end up with cramp, right behind my knee, top of the calf. I put this down to effort, as its the longest climb I usually do. The climb follows my cafe stop, where I stock up on coffee, cake, and water, so hydration isn't the issue. Think its just the physical effort.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    I would agree it could be from overexertion but have a look into magnesium deficiency and cramping.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i dont usually crampbut yesterday i got cramp on the inside of my thigh similar to you by sounds of it. i think it must be over doing it as it was in the middle of a climb it hit me, and it was my longest ride of the year. the only other time i have had that was a few weeks ago towards end of a long ride and i tried to nail it up a little climb and they cramped massively! i think i will try doing some more hill reps as thats something i have not been doing
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Pedal softer
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • po51uk
    po51uk Posts: 5
    I've only been cycling for about a year and I've had cramp twice. Once was early on just before I bought a road bike, I was trying to keep up with roadies on my mountain bike! About 30miles in, I was off my bike on the side of the road rolling around in that uniquely horrible cramp pain.

The second time, I was again punching above my weight, trying to keep up with faster riders.

I've done a bit of research on what causes cramp and how to avoid it. There are a lot of conflicting ideas out there ranging from not enough salt to over exertion. I don't think science has managed to find a concrete explaination of the cause yet (please correct me if anyone knows different).

My limited experience tells me it's over exertion but ever since the above two situations, I've been adding those high 5 zero tablets to my drink and I've had no problems (and there have been times when I've been riding quite hard since). Maybe the fear of knowing how horrible cramp feels has kept me from pushing too hard...
  • hasbeen
    hasbeen Posts: 41
    po51uk wrote:
    I've only been cycling for about a year and I've had cramp twice. Once was early on just before I bought a road bike, I was trying to keep up with roadies on my mountain bike! About 30miles in, I was off my bike on the side of the road rolling around in that uniquely horrible cramp pain.

The second time, I was again punching above my weight, trying to keep up with faster riders.

I've done a bit of research on what causes cramp and how to avoid it. There are a lot of conflicting ideas out there ranging from not enough salt to over exertion. I don't think science has managed to find a concrete explaination of the cause yet (please correct me if anyone knows different).

My limited experience tells me it's over exertion but ever since the above two situations, I've been adding those high 5 zero tablets to my drink and I've had no problems (and there have been times when I've been riding quite hard since). Maybe the fear of knowing how horrible cramp feels has kept me from pushing too hard...

So you got cramp doing efforts you weren't used to, then you did more efforts of a similar nature and now you don't get cramp. Er...isn't that adapting to the effort required? Kind of like the point I made earlier?

People say they get cramp and 9 times out of 10 it's a nice day or basically not winter. No one ever seems to get cramp in the winter do they? How many of the examples given on this thread (sportives, keeping up with others) happens when it's not winter?
    Like I said earlier, practice all year round. Both the distance and the intensity and hey presto, cramp won't be an issue. It's to do with an effort / intensity / distance you've not done (much of) before. The fact it seems to be cyclists with little endurance background on this thread should give some clues....
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    Not in my case it wasn't. Done almost 3,500 miles this year, with quite a few sportives including the 3 day Tour of Wessex. Had cramp for the first time this year, 80 miles in, on the Dragon ride. Have pushed harder in other events this year with no cramping issues. Big difference on Sunday was the heat and the amount of fluids I lost through sweating. Had 7 * 750ml bottles with hydration tabs during the event but still not enough for me.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    thats 10pints of fluid, you must have been pixxing all the time!
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I also had another 2.5 litres after the event. Only pee'd once at second foodstop and that was it between starting at 8.30 and getting home at21.30, although was a bit desperate at that point after the drive home. Like I say I sweated a lot.
  • po51uk
    po51uk Posts: 5
    hasbeen wrote:
    So you got cramp doing efforts you weren't used to, then you did more efforts of a similar nature and now you don't get cramp. Er...isn't that adapting to the effort required? Kind of like the point I made earlier?

Yeah and I agree. i was just trying to illustrate your point with a couple of examples from my own experience.

What I was trying to get across was that I've not had a problem since I've been using those high 5 tablets (previously I was just using water) so there could be somthing in nutrition that could help but then again I'm more bike-fit now than I was so that could just be in my head!
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    jimmurray wrote:
    Not in my case it wasn't. Done almost 3,500 miles this year, with quite a few sportives including the 3 day Tour of Wessex. Had cramp for the first time this year, 80 miles in, on the Dragon ride. Have pushed harder in other events this year with no cramping issues. Big difference on Sunday was the heat and the amount of fluids I lost through sweating. Had 7 * 750ml bottles with hydration tabs during the event but still not enough for me.

Hmmm .. I got outrageous cramps for the last 3-4 hours of the Dragon. Never had them before on the bike. I've done approx 3500 miles this year too. I drank approx 5-6L of drinks during the ride. Plenty hydrated before hand.

I can't tell if it was the heat or the intensity of the exertion as both were a lot more than I'm used to. I wasn't too tired when I finished (could have kept going) BUT for the cramps. They were chronic.

At the moment I'm thinking that it was the exertion that was the route cause .. I spent over 2.5 hrs in HRZ4 and same again in HRZ3. There's no way my body is used to that in one ride. I knew I was pushing hard but due to the number of long climbs I really couldn't keep it lower for large chunks of the ride. My typical (95% of the time) ride is my 25 mile commute. So I have loads of base miles but no real experience of longer rides at high intensity.

That's my theory anyway.

Slightly angry that the cramps spoiled my ride.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    hydration and salts balance are probably important factors in cramping as is the level of exertion in comparison to what you are used to - but heat also plays a role. If you are very hot/near to overheating your body will prioritise keeping cool over all else.( It also explains why pulse goes up in hot conditions -even without exercise levels increasing) This means a lot of blood goes to cooling/skin capilleries/sweating process and not to muscles which in turn means the muscles are not getting the sugars and oxygen they need to be able to work and waste products are not removed very well either. This in turn means you can pour in water/electrolytes till the cows come home but you will still get cramp!
    Sweating is personal and not something you can control but people who are used to hot conditions do adapt and sweat less. Your body learns to keep cool without copious sweating. Once sweat starts to drop off you it is no longer doing its job. Wearing the right kind of clothes that help keep you cool might help.
    Improved fitness and heat adaptation will reduce cramp risk because you can maintain a higher pace more easily and your body won't feel the need to redirect resources just to keep you cool. Vitamin C and practising riding in hot conditions will help adaptation.
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    phreak wrote:
    I think we lack understanding of what causes cramping a lot of the time, but I suspect in many cases it's more a fitness issue than a salt issue. I've tended to cramp when I've gone over my limit.

+1. I've had some bad cramps but that's been from my lack of fitness.
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    I used to get cramps in my fingers and under my chin from just lounging around as well as in legs from riding. I'm very partial to chillis add chilli powder to everything. Totally cut out and no cramping from about 2 weeks after stopping.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    hydration and salts balance are probably important factors in cramping as is the level of exertion in comparison to what you are used to - but heat also plays a role. If you are very hot/near to overheating your body will prioritise keeping cool over all else.( It also explains why pulse goes up in hot conditions -even without exercise levels increasing) This means a lot of blood goes to cooling/skin capilleries/sweating process and not to muscles which in turn means the muscles are not getting the sugars and oxygen they need to be able to work and waste products are not removed very well either. This in turn means you can pour in water/electrolytes till the cows come home but you will still get cramp!
    Sweating is personal and not something you can control but people who are used to hot conditions do adapt and sweat less. Your body learns to keep cool without copious sweating. Once sweat starts to drop off you it is no longer doing its job. Wearing the right kind of clothes that help keep you cool might help.
    Improved fitness and heat adaptation will reduce cramp risk because you can maintain a higher pace more easily and your body won't feel the need to redirect resources just to keep you cool. Vitamin C and practising riding in hot conditions will help adaptation.

Very plausible I'd say.